Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory 3-point with Recaro seat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 12:24 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory 3-point with Recaro seat?

I recently had a Recaro Profi XL installed in my 2014 Cayman S, along with Schroth 6pt harnesses and a GMG seat base... Unfortunately, I lost use of the factory seat belt receiver, but would prefer to not use the harness when driving on the street... I have heard of people using longer length receivers in order to still use 3pt belts with aftermarket bucket seats - does anyone have any experience with this, or recommendation on the parts required to do this? There's not much space at all between the seat and the center tunnel, but I'm sure others have faced this as well and have come up with solutions...

Thanks!

Mark
Old 01-03-2018, 01:06 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I don't have an answer for you, but implore you to make sure whatever you do fits properly. The lap belt MUST fit low around the waist to secure you around your pelvis, not around the abdomen. Running belt up over the sides of the seat will most certainly injure you in an accident.

Best of luck to you
Old 01-03-2018, 02:31 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Something like this? I used that when I was running the 3 point belt with the Recaro Profi XL seat in my Boxster and routed it through the hole in the side of the seat.

Amazon Amazon

I think I had the 10" one which was too long, I think 7" would have been perfect. Since then I have extended the mounting point of the OEM seat belt receptacle using The Schroth Rallye B23A end fitting kit and route the seat belt receptacle end through the side of the seat.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:27 PM
mgent
Instructor

Jscott - of course I'm not going to go up and over the side of the seat - I don't think that would do much in an accident! It would go through the harness lap belt hole in the seat, being a perfect location, but need more length to get it through the hole, as it would be difficult to use below and may not fit between the seat and tunnel...

Steve - I like the Schroth solution you mentioned - that basically creates a 'bridge' between the factory/GMG mounting location and the factory receiver, thereby extending the length? Are there any issues with the length of the bolt required to attach the receiver to the Schroth bracket? I was hoping there were receivers with longer 'legs' making it really simple, but will look into the Schroth example a bit more...
Old 01-03-2018, 06:47 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by mgent
Jscott - of course I'm not going to go up and over the side of the seat - I don't think that would do much in an accident! It would go through the harness lap belt hole in the seat, being a perfect location, but need more length to get it through the hole, as it would be difficult to use below and may not fit between the seat and tunnel...

Steve - I like the Schroth solution you mentioned - that basically creates a 'bridge' between the factory/GMG mounting location and the factory receiver, thereby extending the length? Are there any issues with the length of the bolt required to attach the receiver to the Schroth bracket? I was hoping there were receivers with longer 'legs' making it really simple, but will look into the Schroth example a bit more...
Did not mean to insult your intelligence.. Just, in 15 year of instructing I've seen some otherwise intelligent folks put together some scary safety contraptions...
Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 PM
mgent
Instructor

Haha - I can only imagine! No insult taken, just wanted to clarify for others who may read the thread and provide suggestions...
Old 01-03-2018, 10:56 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mgent

Exactly like you describe and I had no trouble with bolts, although I did also have an assortment of very Krause hardware for harness mounting that may have included longer bolts. I am going to have the seat out in a week or so to install new hans friendly harnesses and I can take some pics and try to refresh my memory. It is wedged in the tunnel pretty good so no way to take a picture in place...

Brey Krause also makes a seat belt extender combined with a harness mount but naturally I can't seem to find it now so my recollection may be wrong.

edit: Found it: http://www.bkauto.com/R_9541_Seat_Belt_Clip_Extender_p/r-9541.htm

Quick Reply: Factory 3-point with Recaro seat?