Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APEX | Porsche Track Wheel Development

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 619 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbnutty
I may have already asked in one of you other threads but do you have any pics of the wheels on dark color cars?
I have pictures of a basalt black 996 GT3 on SM-10 that will be ready to share early next week.

I apologize for the wait - Thank you for checking back in.

Cheers!

Website - Blog - Instagram - Porsche Fitment Guides
Old 12-28-2017, 10:00 PM
mtbnutty
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mtbnutty
Here we go! Please let me know if you have any questions - I'm happy to help in any capacity.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Happy new year to you all!

I hope 2018 brings you health, happiness, prosperity... and APEX wheels this spring!

Here we have a beautiful Basalt Black 996 GT3 on 18" SM-10 in our three finishes. Similarly to the rest, these front wheels are concavity profile 1 (least concave). The rear wheels are concavity profile 2 (medium concave).

Race silver -

Anthracite -

Satin black -
Old 01-12-2018, 02:27 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

To answer the numerous people asking for concavity profile clarification, here’s a general overview of how they’re presented and produced for each specific application.

We offer our Porsche-specific APEX SM-10 and EC-7 in two or three different concavity profiles. Pending design and final engineering/strength optimization, the wheels will vary in concavity depth from profile one to three; one being the least concave, three being the most concave. Typically, the level of concavity is dependent on the width and offset of the wheel. The wider the wheel and lower the offset, the more concave. Whereas the skinnier the wheel and higher the offset, the less concave. While the amount of concavity may differ, some wide(r) and low(er) offset wheel specifications have a deeper “pocket” or center pad where the studs/lug nuts attach to the hub.

The varying concavity profiles in the SM-10 and EC-7 ensure that spoke curvature and brake clearance is never compromised due to width or offset changes in the wheel. The SM-10 and EC-7 are of the few 18" VIA/JWL certified wheels on the market that can clear both an aftermarket and OEM 380mm rotor 6-piston brake kit.

We are now making final tweaks in the engineering phase, prior to launching our initial pre-order/group buy next month. We’ll continue to update the community through the different phases of production, and will continue to release on-car photography to give enthusiasts a better idea of how some of these proposed wheel designs visually appear on specific chassis. Stay tuned for updates and solidified ETAs!

Please let me know if you have any further comments, questions, or fitment change requests.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:27 PM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

Hello, Eric... Appreciate the images of the Basalt Black GT3. Do you have any images of all three finishes on a Midnight Blue or Dark Blue Metallic Porsche? I am considering an Anthracite wheel, and any images would really help nail down the decision. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:05 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tomhartzell
Hello, Eric... Appreciate the images of the Basalt Black GT3. Do you have any images of all three finishes on a Midnight Blue or Dark Blue Metallic Porsche? I am considering an Anthracite wheel, and any images would really help nail down the decision. Thanks!
Hi, Tom! At this time, I unfortunately do not have any imagery with that exterior color against Anthracite APEX.

Although the wheels are structurally re-engineered, our finishes will remain the same between Porsche and BMW - the finishes that can be seen on thousands of APEX equipped BMWs will be the same for our Porsche wheels. Porsche's Midnight Blue is very similar to BMW's Carbon Black, which can be seen on an E46 M3 here, here, and here with Anthracite EC-7 mated to 285 square Hoosiers.

Last edited by Apex Wheels; 01-13-2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: added vehicle details
Old 01-14-2018, 10:12 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

Many thanks, Eric. The links in your note don't open, but your website is very easy to navigate. I'm already getting a very good idea of what they would like like on my Cayman. Appreciate the assist!
Old 01-17-2018, 04:59 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tomhartzell
Many thanks, Eric. The links in your note don't open, but your website is very easy to navigate. I'm already getting a very good idea of what they would like like on my Cayman. Appreciate the assist!
My apologies for the dead embedded links - Flickr has been finicky and uncooperative lately. I went ahead and took some pictures of an Anthracite sample wheel we have here in-office. I tried capturing Anthracite's elusive shades, but please let me know if you'd like any others.

Cheers!

Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks to the community, we’ve nearly finalized our proposed 18” wheel specifications. As you may very well know, seemingly minute millimeter differences in wheel offset can result in large differences in overall wheel fitment. It directly determines how the wheel fits, performs, and is often times the deciding factor between it working, working well, or ultimately not working. With this said, we need your assistance in deciding between a handful of offsets for our 9” front option.

18x9” ET48: least inner (suspension) clearance, more outer (fender) clearance
18x9” ET47: 1mm more inner clearance, 1mm more aggressive towards the fender
18x9” ET46: 2mm more inner clearance, 2mm more aggressive towards the fender
18x9" ET45 or below -

For example, the +48 offset has approximately ~2mm of inner clearance (wheel to bottom spring perch) with linear spring equipped Ohlins coilovers. We’re unsure if this is the case across the board with all linear spring coilovers as it’s dependent on the use of a helper spring, spring length, inner diameter, etc, etc, so we’d like to hear your thoughts. Since it will not require a change in negative camber settings from the original +48, our suspicion is that the +46 is the best option to compensate for any tire deflection under severe load while on track. We typically like to see ~3mm of clearance to ensure ample clearance under any load, condition, or to account for tire deflection.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:44 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

While a 997 GT3 equipped with cup flares can accommodate our profile 2 concavity wheel specifications in the front, we opted to show what front (profile 1) & rear (profile 3) wheels would typically be seen. Here is some on-car imagery of 18" APEX SM-10 on our longtime friend & partner, BRRacing's, 997.2 GT3.

Race Silver -

Anthracite -

Satin black -
Old 01-25-2018, 10:12 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Any chance I can beg to get a custom rendering done? I'm torn between anthracite and race silver....

Here is the car as I received it (before being torn apart for SPC)
Old 01-26-2018, 07:55 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jscott82
Any chance I can beg to get a custom rendering done? I'm torn between anthracite and race silver....

Here is the car as I received it (before being torn apart for SPC)
Certainly a possibility provided we can meet the photo requirements necessary for a rendering. If you have a proper DSLR, I will need a front or rear 3/4 angle shot (as seen in the images above) with the following requirements: A minimum of 50mm focal length and resolution of nearly 4,000 x 4,000. Please keep in mind that if you want an 18" wheel rendering, the pictured Porsche needs to have 18" equipped as I cannot render tires; only wheels.

If you have a picture on 18" in SPC trim, that would be fantastic! Please email me the raw photo files or for further instructions - eric@apexraceparts.com.

Capturing Anthracite in images and renderings is extremely difficult. The accurate shade is elusive and changes dependent on lighting. Early next week, I'll take as many pictures as I can to showcase its true finish.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:43 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

That's what I was afraid you would say. That's the only picture I have, car is now on stands. I won't have the car wrapped and back on the ground until late Feb.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:34 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jscott82
That's what I was afraid you would say. That's the only picture I have, car is now on stands. I won't have the car wrapped and back on the ground until late Feb.
Our next project in the queue very well may satisfy your rendering request. We'll have a Carrera White 987 showcasing our three finishes; Anthracite and Race Silver included. I should have these images to help with your quest for perfection by the beginning of next week. This will hopefully give you ample time to make a decision prior to the initial stages of the group buy.

If you would like any further pictures of the finish(es), please feel free to ask and I'd be happy to take whatever you'd like.

Quick Reply: APEX | Porsche Track Wheel Development