Sponsored by:

Base 718 ECU Flash - seeking feedback -

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 06:31 PM
darreln
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base 718 ECU Flash - seeking feedback -

I am researching ECU software offerings for my 718. I am being quoted figures like increase in the 60hp range with 80 torque increase. Obviously sounds stout (too good to be true?). I had chipped my 87 911 many moons ago, but there was no concern with factory warranty.

I am seeking feedback from the community with their experiences in doing such a flash. Specifically, I am wondering:

1) This is a bench flash, meaning the ECU has to be shipped back & forth out of state every time the car visits the dealership. Seems like a hassle. I don't plan to go to dealership for regular maintenance items (oil changes) but only warranty repairs, would the dealer routinely check the ECU software and, if they find a flashed ECU, would they report to Porsche to void warranty? Is this a valid concern? The car is CPO'd and has a 6 year warranty.
2) How accurate are such performance claims? Aside from looking at graphs, how would one know whether these figures are realistic? Do a Dyno run?
3) What concerns should I have with such an increase in horsepower / torque? This is a weekend car, not on track (yet), but do like to drive spirited ;-)

Would love to hear your opinions and direct experiences with this kind of "mod". would you do it again? any regrets?
Old 12-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by darreln
I am researching ECU software offerings for my 718. I am being quoted figures like increase in the 60hp range with 80 torque increase. Obviously sounds stout (too good to be true?). I had chipped my 87 911 many moons ago, but there was no concern with factory warranty.

I am seeking feedback from the community with their experiences in doing such a flash. Specifically, I am wondering:

1) This is a bench flash, meaning the ECU has to be shipped back & forth out of state every time the car visits the dealership. Seems like a hassle. I don't plan to go to dealership for regular maintenance items (oil changes) but only warranty repairs, would the dealer routinely check the ECU software and, if they find a flashed ECU, would they report to Porsche to void warranty? Is this a valid concern? The car is CPO'd and has a 6 year warranty.
2) How accurate are such performance claims? Aside from looking at graphs, how would one know whether these figures are realistic? Do a Dyno run?
3) What concerns should I have with such an increase in horsepower / torque? This is a weekend car, not on track (yet), but do like to drive spirited ;-)

Would love to hear your opinions and direct experiences with this kind of "mod". would you do it again? any regrets?
60HP +/- is not at all uncommon -- you have a turbocharged car -- bulk of the power (if not all) is from a simple increase in boost. My 996 Turbo had a bump of 80HP and about 90TQ. If you do the flash you won't need a dyno run -- you'll know all you need to know once you mat the accelerator.

The flash will void warranty if they find it. What someone does should something go catastrophically wrong, how deep Porsche looks into stuff -- who knows?

My personal opinion is you'll have no issues with the car if the tune if it's a reputable company. YMMV. I have not flashed a 918, but my experience with flashing my 911 Turbo was fantastic. I researched and spoke with a number of tuners and made my choice. The car was flawless for a number of years and that included track duty.

I do have to add that I don't think I would flash as long as I had a factory warranty in effect -- but that is just me. It creates a situation where you'll must likely have lie each time you need some type of warranty work. I know a few folks with newer GTSs and GT4s who have had to jump through hoops when they had transmission issues. Porsche drilled them on whether there were mods. Buyer beware.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:55 PM
darreln
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the great feedback and sharing your experience. I agree, voiding my 6-year warranty is not something I would want to risk!
With that being said, I did find a ECU Tuning Box Kit, which is an external system of sorts. Claims to be warranty safe. Maybe I take a closer look at that

Quick Reply: Base 718 ECU Flash - seeking feedback -