Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does PASM make a big difference in ride comfort on a base Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 01:44 AM
semtex
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does PASM make a big difference in ride comfort on a base Cayman?

Just as the title says, if you were spec'ing a Cayman for everyday use in a city environment (think NYC) would you get more comfort from leaving PASM off? I've never driven a Porsche, but the 10mm drop tells me that things will get more stiff.

Likely the car will never be used for sharp cornering, or even go over 80mph like ever. The only reason I was considering PASM is because that's the only way to get torque vectoring, and I feel like that's a good safety feature, especially in the rain.

Would love to hear your experiences and if my assumptions are way off.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:05 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm looking forward to others' answers here. I've recently posted that on my new-to-me 2016 981CS (admittedly not base), it's difficult to tell the difference between PASM on and off. Even the techs at the dealer could not tell. And they say that's normal. I've driven the car 3000 miles and came away convinced that it wasn't working, even though the switch light would go on and off. Hopefully, I'll be able to tell the difference on the track next month.
Bern
Old 11-05-2017, 09:34 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

I'm thinkin' that if "ride comfort" is a major factor in the purchase of your new car, you probably need to slide on over to a Lexus or Buick dealer and see what you can find...Jus' sayin'...
Old 11-05-2017, 10:20 PM
semtex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TMc993
I'm thinkin' that if "ride comfort" is a major factor in the purchase of your new car, you probably need to slide on over to a Lexus or Buick dealer and see what you can find...Jus' sayin'...
I never said it was a major factor, but it is a factor. I've always wanted a Porsche so I'm not considering other cars at this point. I think I'm asking a reasonable question living in NYC with the roads as ****ty as they are.

Also, there's the cost difference. Because I'm not using the car on the track if PASM actually gives me a less comfortable ride then I've effectively wasted $2000.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:39 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been very happy with the PASM on my 981 GTS. I do take the car to the track, but 95% of the miles are still surface streets and the PASM provides me with a little more ground clearance and softer damping than the sport suspension would have. I haven't pushed a base suspension car around to compare PASM to the softest option, but PASM on its softer damping setting is plenty comfy for daily driving. Mild rough roads and bumps on the freeway get absorbed quite well to provide comfortable, but confident ride and handling. The sport damping setting is stiff enough that I don't bother using it outside the race track. The increased damping does provide sharper response and more feedback through the steering wheel and chassis, but the trade off is higher forces transmitted to the body. You feel more and in the back of your mind you begin to worry about rattling the car to pieces. It is pretty damn glorious at the track tough.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:28 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by semtex
I never said it was a major factor, but it is a factor. I've always wanted a Porsche so I'm not considering other cars at this point. I think I'm asking a reasonable question living in NYC with the roads as ****ty as they are.

Also, there's the cost difference. Because I'm not using the car on the track if PASM actually gives me a less comfortable ride then I've effectively wasted $2000.

Hope that makes sense.
Apologies...My attempt to be humorous came across as a smartass comment, which was not my intent.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:36 AM
semtex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TMc993
Apologies...My attempt to be humorous came across as a smartass comment, which was not my intent.
No worries bro
Old 11-06-2017, 01:51 PM
bgsntth
Racer

I have the base suspension on 18" wheels on my 2017 Cayman, and use it for daily commuting. Lots of rough roads, broken pavement, and steep ingress/egress. The ride is firm, but very compliant and not punishing in any way. Never "crashes", and has very progressive bumpstops. I can confirm that I can enter my gym parking garage without scraping, while a 997 GT3 scrapes heavily - no surprise.

I do wish I had PTV....
Old 11-07-2017, 04:31 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I have it on my 2016 Cayman with 18"s and it's fine for everything. Honestly I can't tell that big of a difference between the comfort/stiff settings, although the thicker sidewalls of the 18"s may have something to do with that.

I believe the scale from softest to hardest is:
PASM comfort < Standard < PASM stiff < X73
Old 11-07-2017, 07:18 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll have to do a test at the dealer. My go to car for trips with the wife is my 987.2 Cayman S (19" wheels) with PASM turned off. I understand the electronics work to "soften" the ride based on conditions as well.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I have PASM on my 991 and, honestly, can't tell much of a difference (though I am not tracking it) but it's supposed to be 'smart enough' to make adjustments based on your driving style to maximize sportiness vs. Comfort...so maybe it's a credit that you DON'T notice it unless you need it?? I have x73 on my 981 & find it to be VERY 'liveable' with the roads around me (SE) riding factory 20s...but I'm sure that's subjective. My 981 came with the 20s and 'standard' suspension (which is the same between S & base) and, to me, it felt soft & 'loose', x73 feels perfect - so maybe that's just the type of ride I like? Anyway, hope this helps...😀
Old 11-07-2017, 11:52 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Default PASM - More difference on 987.2 than 981

Dave,

I agree re the 987.2 - I put 50,000 miles and more than a few track days on my 09 CS and can say PASM makes a very noticeable difference on the street and a great difference on the track. I'd recommend it as a very desirable option, track or not.

I have 3000 miles on my 16 CS and cannot tell the difference on the street, though have yet to take it on the track.

That said, the 981 has much less body sway in the corners than the 987.2 and squats rather than nose-dives when braking such that in the first few road tests, I would swear the 981 had much less braking g's than the 987.2. But now I know that it's the basic suspension configuration that makes such a difference and assume that is masking the PASM effect.

Bern
Old 11-25-2017, 08:25 PM
zoomie50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to have worse roads than Michigan. I specified my new 07 Cayman with 17" wheels for the purpose of nice ride and it was great. If specing new I think 18" are the smallest wheel now so that is what I would go for. It still handled well on the track the one time I took it there. My Hot shoe son had FTD against all Cayman's and Boxster's including the S models in our run group. The only option I insisted on was heated seats.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:56 PM
conceptDawg
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The advantage of PTV is going to be minimal to non-existent at crawling city speeds. If that's why you're thinking of PASM then I'd pass. You'll just never really use PTV in your expected usage, even in the rain. Maybe if it's snowing, but are you going to be driving your P-car in the snow? (I mean, I do, but most people don't.)
For comfort PASM does make a difference. It's minimal, but I do notice when it's in normal vs. sport modes (running on 20" Carrera wheels) especially on potholed city streets. But I'm going to be honest: I'd go with as many features that you can afford because you'll likely end up going well over 80mph on a consistent basis. You'll want to. You'll NEED to. It will happen. It's a magical car.

But I honestly think that you are looking at the wrong car. I completely understand the whole "I've always wanted a Porsche thing." I mean, we've all been that person. Everybody here. But the fact that you say that you're never going to go above 80mph and not push the car at all tells me that in the end you'd be much happier with a different purchase as far as the actual driving goes. Of course, the feeling of Porsche ownership is hard to describe and maybe that's enough.
Now. All that being said, if you feel like you still want a Cayman then go for it. Live your dream.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:06 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I've driven Caymans for 10 years on road and track (2007 Base, 2007 S, 2016 GT4). I'm in the NE so many roads suck. Only the GT4 has PASM. For street use, It's always on the soft or off setting. For track it's always on the hard setting. I wouldn't order PASM for a street only car.

Quick Reply: Does PASM make a big difference in ride comfort on a base Cayman?