Sponsored by:

Purchase Advice, 2017 Cayman 718

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 05:20 PM
992.DAD
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Purchase Advice, 2017 Cayman 718

Hey everyone. New to the forums and looking to get into my first Porsche. I was originally looking at a 2015 Cayman S, however, a good deal popped up on a base 718 with some nice options. It only has 3K miles, however, I am a little concerned that it already had 2 previous owners. The first had it for 3 months and put 2K miles, the second had it for 2 months, and put 1K miles. Is this something I should be concerned about? Here is a link to the posting:

https://www.ferraritampabay.com/2017...yman-c-115.htm

If anyone could give me any insight, it would be appreciated.

Also, is it a better option to go with the base 718 opposed to the previous generation Cayman S? Just want to add this will be used as a daily driver.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:32 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's quite unusual to have two owners in such a short time. I guess that you could do a PPP to ensure everything is ok and you still have lots of warranty left if anything goes wrong. Personally, I would pass and go for the S. Having compared both the 997 and 987 base vs. S versions, I feel like the S cars should really be the 'base' Porsche models. They cost more, but there is a significant difference in performance.

I would definitely go with the 2015 S. The H6 engine is incredible and sounds downright exotic with the right exhaust. The turbo 4 in the 718 sounds like a broken vacuum cleaner in my opinion and is a show-stopper for me.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jsqrd
Hey everyone. New to the forums and looking to get into my first Porsche. I was originally looking at a 2015 Cayman S, however, a good deal popped up on a base 718 with some nice options. It only has 3K miles, however, I am a little concerned that it already had 2 previous owners. The first had it for 3 months and put 2K miles, the second had it for 2 months, and put 1K miles. Is this something I should be concerned about? Here is a link to the posting:

https://www.ferraritampabay.com/2017...yman-c-115.htm

If anyone could give me any insight, it would be appreciated.

Also, is it a better option to go with the base 718 opposed to the previous generation Cayman S? Just want to add this will be used as a daily driver.
Sometimes a CarFax report can shed some light on a car's ownership history.

Sometimes a new car is bought by someone who decides he doesn't like the car then sells the car back to the dealer or trades it in for another car. The 2nd buyer/owner is the car dealer to whom the car was sold or traded.

In the case of the 2nd owner of the 718 could have been used as personal transportation of some high muckity-muck at the dealer.

Also, I know of one case a customer (a *very very* good customer is how the salesman described her to me) of a Porsche dealer ordered a new Turbo. Because the Turbo would take a while to be built and arrive and to have a car to drive in the meantime the customer bought another Porsche, a new 911, with the prior arrangement the dealer buy the 911 back when her new Turbo came in.

The 911 ended up being "used" but with low miles and with 2 owners in its short life: The original owner and the dealer who took the car back.

Try to get a CarFax and see if it can shed any light.

If the car passes a thorough used car check out: test ride, test drive, used car inspection, followed by a PPI; I see no reason to reject the car for its two owners.

'course, the decision is up to you. You want to be real comfortable with your choice and if the 2 owners bothers you now and will bother you after you buy the car then don't buy the car.

Keep looking. There's always another car.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:31 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Daily driver-wise and with the updated infotainment + all the other improvements (basically everything barring sound), the 718 is the way to go.

If you want this mostly as your "fun" car, then maybe you'd take a long look at the '15 S.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:50 AM
992.DAD
Intermediate

Thanks for the insight everyone. We are going to see it and drive it tomorrow so I will see how it goes. We did love the sound of the 2015 S although I could not find a pre-owned one with the PSE. I guess that can be remedied now with the retrofit kit. I am also considering how much depreciation I will take. I plan on daily driving this here in Tampa, so I am assuming I will tack on about 30,000 miles before deciding to sell it. It is nice that this one only has 3,700 and has already taken a big depreciation hit.

Thanks again. I'll keep you guys posted how it goes. I feel that either one would be a good first Porsche.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:11 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just FYI, there are lots of folks that buy a sports car, and quickly decide it ain't really their cup a' tea.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:48 PM
992.DAD
Intermediate

So we ended up pulling the trigger on the 718 Cayman. We were both very impressed with the car. It drove great. It sounded great. Amazing handling. We are super happy with it. Appreciate the advice from everyone. It's going to be my wife's daily driver and she couldn't be happier. We will post some more pics when we pick it up on Monday. Considering it is only has 3700 miles we thought it was a great deal at $57K, for a $76K sticker.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:15 PM
thunderstrike
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife has a 718 with PDK. She wanted your color but I persuaded her to get a Graphite Blue.

you got a great price. Congratulations.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:00 AM
992.DAD
Intermediate

Thanks Thunderstrike, Graphite Blue is nice too. Haven't seen it in person, only photos. Hope you guys are enjoying it! I'm gonna try to convince her to retro fit the PSE.

Originally Posted by thunderstrike
My wife has a 718 with PDK. She wanted your color but I persuaded her to get a Graphite Blue.

you got a great price. Congratulations.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:50 PM
dpaul
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife also bought a base 718 with PDK... she went to test drive and potentially buy a new Macan, then test drove the 718, and SOLD...!!!!

We absolutely love it!
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2017, 11:09 PM
992.DAD
Intermediate

Love the white @dpaul. We're on day 4 with the 718 and absolutely love it. Everything about it is so refined. I'm not sure what the complaints are regarding the sound. I think I sounds great. We're taking it to the DuPont Registry cars and coffee here in the Tampa/St.Pete area tomorrow. Should be fun.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:42 PM
dpaul
Intermediate

jsqrd:

We love the white, but yours with that blue with those wheels looks GREAT!
I was going to reply yesterday, but the thread turned childish. I see that all of that has been removed.
Thank you moderators!!!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:45 PM
darreln
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the car! I too have the Miami Blue, looked just like yours when I got it. Mine was used as well, around 1,800 miles on it, guy bought it and sold it back due to divorce! Enjoy the car, and if you want more "loud" and "crackles" and a bit more HP, take a look at the Fabspeed exhausts. I had mine installed a few weeks ago
Old 10-24-2017, 07:12 PM
dpaul
Intermediate

My mistake on the last post about the thread getting childish... that was a "Related Thread" at the bottom of this thread that shows up if you are not logged in. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:57 PM
992.DAD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by darreln
Congrats on the car! I too have the Miami Blue, looked just like yours when I got it. Mine was used as well, around 1,800 miles on it, guy bought it and sold it back due to divorce! Enjoy the car, and if you want more "loud" and "crackles" and a bit more HP, take a look at the Fabspeed exhausts. I had mine installed a few weeks ago
How do you like it? Is it too loud daily? Does the factory sport button alter the sound? If you end up putting a video up let me know!

Quick Reply: Purchase Advice, 2017 Cayman 718