Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mandatory options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 11:58 AM
lml999
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 509 Posts
Default Mandatory options?

Planning my first P-car purchase for next year, targeting a 987-2, Cayman S. 6 speed.

Would appreciate members' thoughts on "mandatory" options for a daily driver (summer) that will see some autocrossing and occasional DE events.

I'm in New England, driving mostly highway with some suburban mix. No city driving.

I have another car available (an '04 allroad), so the luggage rack option will not be required...

Some thoughts on browsing the option list...

bi-xenon lamps
sport seats
seat heaters/ventilation
short shifter
sport chrono
limited slip diff
sport suspension
PASM
PSM
Comfort, Infotainment packages

Comments appreciated!

Last edited by lml999; 10-12-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:28 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My base 2017 is very conservatively optioned - which worried me; but I am now happy I did not get the sport steering wheel and exhaust - not needed.

If you are over 6'2" I would recommend the 14-ways, as the fourway lumbar support is nice. I also believe that the 14-ways provide more head/leg room, but this is debated..........

If you have budget for the 18-ways, just get them, as they are awesome. Unless, you really do not want the extra weight.

I like the heated seats and Bose too. My 2007 base Cayman had the most basic stereo, and it was truly pitiful.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:43 PM
lml999
Rennlist Member

Thanks bgsntth...I'm looking for a used car, won't be able to order to spec.

I've got time to find the "right" car...color, options, etc. I'm willing to travel for that car, even though remote purchasing is a bit more complex. I've done it before, picking up an old MB 300 D turbo 700 miles from home, and a couple of Audis a bit closer. Buying a Cayman anywhere in the country represents an opportunity for a great road trip and a bonding experience with my new (to me) car!

And I'm 5'6". For a while I was considering a 968, but I sit way too low in that car and the ergonomics are quite different...
Old 10-12-2017, 04:48 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I loved the PDLS lights and sport seats in my 987.2. A few options on your list can be added so if you find a car with other options you must have you can add short shifter, sport chrono, and R suspension if you can't find a PASM car.

I am not sure if you can get sport seats with ventilation. FYI 987.2 production numbers are very low, you may be looking for a while.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
....987-2, Cayman S. 6 speed....
I think those are the only "mandatory options".

In all seriousness though, 987.2 CS with 6spd are hard to find. They did not make that many of them. I looked for one for about a year before I found my 2009. Not many come up for sale. The one I bought has literally only one option - reverse sensors, that's it. I really don't miss many other options, so I would say none are mandatory. They are great cars!
Old 10-13-2017, 05:44 PM
lml999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Klepper
I think those are the only "mandatory options".

In all seriousness though, 987.2 CS with 6spd are hard to find. They did not make that many of them. I looked for one for about a year before I found my 2009. Not many come up for sale. The one I bought has literally only one option - reverse sensors, that's it. I really don't miss many other options, so I would say none are mandatory. They are great cars!
I get that!

Xenon lamps are probably the only mandatory option, as they are expensive to retrofit properly...

Most everything else I can probably live without...

...or add...

I'm not even thinking about color...but if I were, it would be blue!
Old 10-14-2017, 10:05 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've done a few things to m 987.2 and the top two for me were tires and a short shift kit.

The shifter in the 987 is sloppy and I didn't realize it until I tried the shifter in the 718...they are worlds apart. You have the option of going with the factory SSK, numeric, or something else. I personally went with the numeric and it's the best upgrade that I've made to the car. It very direct, precise and mechanical and totally transforms the driving experience.

In terms of tires, my care came with the Goodyear F1s which were decent. The Super Sports are an improvement and the Pilot Sport Cup 2s are a quantum leap in terms of grip, but wear quickly so I save them for the track.

Other upgrades include:
-brakes: PFC11 for track days
-coilovers: Ohlins R&T
-OZ Ultraleggera 19' wheels for the street with Michelin PSS
-OEM Spyder 19' wheels for track mounted with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s
-Rennline pedals & track mats
-GT3 brake ducts

I hope that helps
Old 10-14-2017, 10:06 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry, I just realized that you're looking at options, not mods.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:21 PM
thunderstrike
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 14-way seat, but from what I hear 18-way seat is more comfortable.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:36 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Short shifter, LSD, and sport suspension are not factory options. PSM is standard, Sport Chrono is a waste. PASM is useful for track only.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

do not pass up a base pdk.....they ride much smoother and it will be a DD for you ...imho
Old 10-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Bi-xenon headlights.

My 2002 Boxster came with the standard head lights. Adequate.

But then in 2009 I picked up a used 2003 996 Turbo with Bi-Xenon headlights. Wow. Night vs. day difference. (No pun...)

Around town on busy and lighted freeways both headlights are about the same.

But out on the open and dark, very dark, roads the bi-xenons are just great.

The other options I have no real opinion about other than my short time with my 2008 Cayman S with heated seats the ladies loved the heated seat feature. The car had the sports chrono option and I tried it but it made the accelerator too touchy for town driving and I didn't have any plans to track the car.

A true limited slip diff is of some value but generally the factory limited slip diffs don't hold up very well. That is the diff doesn't break or fail just loses its limited slip feature and becomes just a plain old diff. If you track the car this just accelerates this degradation.

The limited slip feature that relies upon application of the individual rear brakes can consume rear brake pads/rotors under extreme usage.

Neither my Boxster or my Turbo have LSD and I've never missed it. My 2006 Pontiac GTO had LSD as did my 2001 Camaro Z28 and my '96 Mustang but I don't really recall LSD playing any role. (The '96 Mustang had almost 150K miles on it when I sold it and probably by that time and some time before then the LSD diff had just become a plain old diff. The Camaro only had 28K mles on it when I sold it and the LSD was working as I could hear it clicking sometimes. The GTO had 40K miles when I traded it in and the LSD might have still had some function.)
Old 10-17-2017, 11:57 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

+1 on Klepper's comment about these cars being hard to find -- both 6spd and PDK.

While I would have preferred the Xenon lights, the 2012 Cayman S I purchased last March came with halogens -- and is a car I have thoroughly enjoyed since. It was close enough to "perfect" that I pulled the trigger, and am now considering upgrading the H7 low beam lamps to see if they'll make a difference at night.

My biggest takeaway was that it was a long search; that I might never find my perfect car; and that a PPI is now a mandatory part of any negotiation if I'm not buying a CPO car. (Mine came from a dealership with a 2-yr CPO warranty, and they also performed the 40K service, brake flush and other routine maintenance in advance.) I had previously been looking at a high mileage 2012 Cayman S, but the PPI indicated it hadn't been religiously maintained and would have required over $13K in maintenance.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:04 PM
lml999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nowakm99
Sorry, I just realized that you're looking at options, not mods.
First I have to find and buy it, then I can mod it.

I've got 20 years experience in Audis...I know the slippery slope only too well!
Old 10-18-2017, 03:15 PM
lml999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Bi-xenon headlights.

Around town on busy and lighted freeways both headlights are about the same.

But out on the open and dark, very dark, roads the bi-xenons are just great.
I live on Cape Cod and drive periodically to metrowest Boston. The street lighting strategy on the Cape was developed by thrifty New Englanders...Not a single street light in my neighborhood (130 houses, most year rounders, many with young families).

And my eyes are not as young as they used to be...

Good lighting is a must!

Quick Reply: Mandatory options?