Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Cayman the car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:35 PM
EricCho
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Cayman the car for me?

Hey!
I'm a student in a big city about to graduate high school and I'm planning to buy a used Cayman (2006 or 2011) sometime next year (I'll be 18)
I'm just wondering if you guys would recommend the car or recommend against it.
I've gotten my license recently so I'm a bit scared of the insurance rates; there's also the maintenance costs to worry about as well but if they're not too expensive I feel that I can afford it
What do you guys think?

Last edited by EricCho; 10-09-2017 at 08:39 PM. Reason: specifics
Old 10-09-2017, 09:39 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by EricCho
Hey!
I'm a student in a big city about to graduate high school and I'm planning to buy a used Cayman (2006 or 2011) sometime next year (I'll be 18)
I'm just wondering if you guys would recommend the car or recommend against it.
I've gotten my license recently so I'm a bit scared of the insurance rates; there's also the maintenance costs to worry about as well but if they're not too expensive I feel that I can afford it
What do you guys think?
If you're into cars I think you'll enjoy it, but of course I think the insurance rates are going to be eye watering (big city + 18 yo + Porsche).
Maintenance also won't be cheap - especially buying that used and probably higher mileage (just guessing your budget here).

You've also got a lot of miles, potential moves (you move a lot during college), no garages (big city? college with little parking?) coming up that a Cayman will not be practical for.
If you can comfortably swing it, I'd say it's a good choice. But don't get your heart set on it - there's no reason to force getting your dream car just out of high school. As much as I'd love for you to get a Porsche, I think there's more reasons against it than for it.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:26 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

If it's what you have your heart set on, so be it. However, the above post presents some reasonable considerations.

1) Insurance rates might be staggering, plus, unless it's garaged, you have the threat of theft or vandalism.

2) Maintenance can be manageable if you have a garage and tools and can DIY. The threat is the possibility of a major maintenance hit, $5 - 10K that could jeopardize your continued ownership (assuming you don't have a spare pile of money 8 ))

3) Having been through college and early career days many years ago, I always needed more carrying capacity that a Cayman provides. One of the current hot hatchbacks or similar would provide a lot of driving pleasure, with fewer insurance and maintenance worries.

I waited till I was out of school and working and could afford a second car as a daily driver to get the first pure sports car. YMMV.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:53 PM
EricCho
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
If you're into cars I think you'll enjoy it, but of course I think the insurance rates are going to be eye watering (big city + 18 yo + Porsche).
Maintenance also won't be cheap - especially buying that used and probably higher mileage (just guessing your budget here).

You've also got a lot of miles, potential moves (you move a lot during college), no garages (big city? college with little parking?) coming up that a Cayman will not be practical for.
If you can comfortably swing it, I'd say it's a good choice. But don't get your heart set on it - there's no reason to force getting your dream car just out of high school. As much as I'd love for you to get a Porsche, I think there's more reasons against it than for it.
Originally Posted by RWPinNC
If it's what you have your heart set on, so be it. However, the above post presents some reasonable considerations.

1) Insurance rates might be staggering, plus, unless it's garaged, you have the threat of theft or vandalism.

2) Maintenance can be manageable if you have a garage and tools and can DIY. The threat is the possibility of a major maintenance hit, $5 - 10K that could jeopardize your continued ownership (assuming you don't have a spare pile of money 8 ))

3) Having been through college and early career days many years ago, I always needed more carrying capacity that a Cayman provides. One of the current hot hatchbacks or similar would provide a lot of driving pleasure, with fewer insurance and maintenance worries.

I waited till I was out of school and working and could afford a second car as a daily driver to get the first pure sports car. YMMV.
Thanks! The insurance rates might seem far out of range so I'll decide against it for at least 5-6 years
Old 10-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EricCho
Thanks! The insurance rates might seem far out of range so I'll decide against it for at least 5-6 years
Wise choice!

If you can convince yourself to drive something cheap and reliable during your college years it'll set you up better for the rest of your life. It'll leave more money in your pocket to pay tuition and perhaps graduate loan-free. If you graduate with a few loans to pay off, continue driving that cheap reliable car for a few more years. These days loan interest rates aren't cheap, so knocking out those loans as quickly as you can opens up a lot more expendable income thereafter. It might be the difference between buying an abused Porsche or a brand new one.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:01 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

It's a lot of car for an 18 year old but it's a cool one...good luck with it.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:27 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Go for it....You could be the next Jeff Zwart...

Old 10-23-2017, 01:07 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

I loved Porsches in college and could have picked up an early 70's 911S for $4,500 back then, but I had a 245 Volvo Wagon, and for good reason. I was always hauling stuff around, and would go rock climbing and skiing on the weekends. I could sleep in the Brick and transport around, unlike a 911. That is just my situation, but if I was driving an older 911, it would have cost more than the Volvo to own in terms of maintenance, and I would have constantly been borrowing cars from other people.

Quick Reply: Is the Cayman the car for me?