Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help APEX Create a Better Porsche Track Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 04:15 PM
mtbnutty
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run no caps at the track. That wheel (no cap) is attractive enough to run on the street!
Old 10-31-2017, 03:10 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 619 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbnutty
I run no caps at the track. That wheel (no cap) is attractive enough to run on the street!
Thank you for your feedback both here and on Planet-9! Very much appreciated.

Based on responses, we may add center-cap accommodation, but we'll leave it up to you to decide cap/no-cap/what cap

Website - Blog - Instagram - Porsche Fitment Guides
Old 11-14-2017, 02:37 PM
BobKid
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Survey submitted and hoping these come to fruition. I'm currently running EC-7s on my BMW MCoupe, and would love a set of the SM-10s on my wife's Cayman S.

Here's a shot of us playing chase at MSR Cresson last weekend

Old 11-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BobKid
Survey submitted and hoping these come to fruition. I'm currently running EC-7s on my BMW MCoupe, and would love a set of the SM-10s on my wife's Cayman S.

Here's a shot of us playing chase at MSR Cresson last weekend
Thank you for your excitement and sharing your preferences! It's always great to see enthusiasts putting our wheels up to the test on another platform and sharing their success story.

I recognize your username & M Coupe from Bimmerforums - beautiful steel gray S54! I sold my 2001 S54 M Coupe not too long ago and certainly miss it. I had extensive seat-time in my M Coupe, but little to none in a 981. How do they compare?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:36 PM
BobKid
Instructor

Originally Posted by APEXRaceParts
I had extensive seat-time in my M Coupe, but little to none in a 981. How do they compare?
I actually talked the wife into letting me do a session in her Cayman S last month and it was a lot of fun. Biggest diffeences were:

Brakes = No comparison, Cayman wins hands down. With her girodiscs and PFC08 pads, I was braking and then having to coast up to my turn in point. Girodiscs and good pads are an amazing combo and worth the money.

Handling = I wasn't expecting as much difference between the two as I felt. Cayman just starts slipping straight sideways when it loses grip, versus MCoupe wanting to swap ends. Cayman is extremely stable and easy to push right up to the line. Go too far, and you can just back down a hair and it pulls right back into shape. MCoupe you go too far, and you're mowing the grass. Basically classic throttle-steering versus drifting on the sweepers.

PDK is just unfair; the Cayman was never in the wrong gear and shifts kept the revs in the power band well. That alone is worth a second or two around a 1:30 min track over the MCoupe's 5 speed stick.

I think with practice I'd be quicker in the Cayman, but it's not as challenging and engaging to drive. As one of my track friends says, my coupe just kinda feels like it wants to kill me, so I have to stay on top of it or it'll bite me in the butt.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:24 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I actually talked the wife into letting me do a session in her Cayman S last month and it was a lot of fun. Biggest diffeences were:

Brakes = No comparison, Cayman wins hands down. With her girodiscs and PFC08 pads, I was braking and then having to coast up to my turn in point. Girodiscs and good pads are an amazing combo and worth the money.

Handling = I wasn't expecting as much difference between the two as I felt. Cayman just starts slipping straight sideways when it loses grip, versus MCoupe wanting to swap ends. Cayman is extremely stable and easy to push right up to the line. Go too far, and you can just back down a hair and it pulls right back into shape. MCoupe you go too far, and you're mowing the grass. Basically classic throttle-steering versus drifting on the sweepers.

PDK is just unfair; the Cayman was never in the wrong gear and shifts kept the revs in the power band well. That alone is worth a second or two around a 1:30 min track over the MCoupe's 5 speed stick.

I think with practice I'd be quicker in the Cayman, but it's not as challenging and engaging to drive. As one of my track friends says, my coupe just kinda feels like it wants to kill me, so I have to stay on top of it or it'll bite me in the butt.
These were my suspicions as well. Both are a kick in the pants, but the Cayman ultimately seems like the "better" tamer track car.

As we know, the M has its flaws, short wheelbase, and a rear suspension design from the dinosaur ages, but it sure does make for a ton of fun as a DE car. I was able to dial some neutrality out of it with alignment settings and proper suspension, but there's no true way around its inherit biases and geometry. The M Coupe is similar to my 930 in a sense that there's no gradual breakaway - it's very unforgiving and just snaps. Put your right foot down and hope for the best!

Do you have any pictures of your M Coupe on EC-7 to share?

Thank you!
Old 11-15-2017, 04:51 PM
BobKid
Instructor

Do you have any pictures of your M Coupe on EC-7 to share?

Thank you!
235/40-18 NT01s on 18x8.5 w/35 offset front and 12mm spacer, and
275/35-18 NT01s on 18x10.5 w/27 offset and 6 spacer in rear.

Very slight rub in reverse at full steering lock only

and a good picture showing how they'll mimic the OE wheels I'm trying to protect

Old 11-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

235/40-18 NT01s on 18x8.5 w/35 offset front and 12mm spacer, and
275/35-18 NT01s on 18x10.5 w/27 offset and 6 spacer in rear.

Very slight rub in reverse at full steering lock only
Looks superb and very purposeful. The subtle number meaning is a nice touch, too. Viva la coupe cartel!

Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:27 PM
BobKid
Instructor

Looks superb and very purposeful. The subtle number meaning is a nice touch, too. Viva la coupe cartel!

Thank you for sharing.
Hard to believe, but that was actually the random number PCA gave me for my first DE? I took it as a sign I was meant to be out there in it.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hard to believe, but that was actually the random number PCA gave me for my first DE? I took it as a sign I was meant to be out there in it.
With that luck, your wife must've gotten #981!
Old 11-17-2017, 11:17 AM
BobKid
Instructor

With that luck, your wife must've gotten #981!
I wish. She enrolled about 15 minutes before me, so she got this one

Old 11-17-2017, 11:22 AM
WenigRot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same number on my MCoupe!

Old 11-17-2017, 11:44 AM
BobKid
Instructor

Great minds and all that!
Old 11-17-2017, 12:28 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

What's ETA to having some 997 NB track wheels ready to deliver, 2018?
Old 11-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
What's ETA to having some 997 NB track wheels ready to deliver, 2018?
NB 997-specific APEX wheels will be of the first produced and included in our pre-order early 2018; with wheels ideally in enthusiast's hands by late Q1 2018.

Please feel free to reach out with any further questions or email me for more solidified ETA/pre-order details if you do not see them posted.

Thank you for the inquiry!

Quick Reply: Help APEX Create a Better Porsche Track Wheel