Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Cayman S vs 2014 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:40 AM
jeffmatt
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Cayman S vs 2014 Cayman

Which one would prefer 2012 Cayman S or 2014 Cayman?
Old 09-30-2017, 01:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffmatt
The two cars have differences. S vs. base is one. And 2 years between them.

Of the two differences the age difference I think is the least important, although taking depreciation into account it is not insignficant. An older example costs less to buy and depreciation is the biggest expense in owning a vehicle.

The S vs base difference is the biggie.

You need to test drive both examples and decide which you prefer: S or base. Once you have that decided then seek out the best example you can find and afford and buy it.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:48 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Had a similar quandary when I wanted to pick one up. Wanted the power and additional bells and whistles of the 987.2S but, as this was going be one to share with the wife (I also have a 991S w/PWK) I posed the question to her and.... aesthetics won. 981 is just, IMO, a better looking car, inside and out. It's been over half a year and been a GREAT decision. Very happy. We're not 'smoking' people from the stoplight but that's not really a thing for me (it's plenty fast for public roads, plus I have the 991S for that ). Best of luck with your search, think you can't go wrong w/either! -Dom
Old 10-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

I think there's a couple of other issues here to consider as well. Here goes.

1. Appearance? 981 wins no questions. It's a beautiful Tone Hatter (993) design.

2. Engine? Late model 987.2 will have the DFI, non-IMS bearing issue.

3. Steering feel? This is where the 987.2 takes in in spades.

4. Interior? Hmm... debatable. The 981 is defiantly and upgrade but the 987.2 is a more simpler, more classic sport car look.

So both GREAT cars, best to drive both for a good 1/2 day each, on some twisties out in the country.

Good look on your hunt!
Old 10-01-2017, 08:54 PM
Slim987
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Last edited by Slim987; 01-10-2020 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:21 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I think there's a couple of other issues here to consider as well. Here goes.

1. Appearance? 981 wins no questions. It's a beautiful Tone Hatter (993) design.

2. Engine? Late model 987.2 will have the DFI, non-IMS bearing issue.

3. Steering feel? This is where the 987.2 takes in in spades.

4. Interior? Hmm... debatable. The 981 is defiantly and upgrade but the 987.2 is a more simpler, more classic sport car look.

So both GREAT cars, best to drive both for a good 1/2 day each, on some twisties out in the country.

Good look on your hunt!
Can totally understand the points here, just one thing - the engine of the 2014 Cayman, even the base 2.7, is also a non-IMS DFI...
Old 10-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffmatt
I just went through this in the early summer. Decided on the 981 for a number of reasons.

The 981 is an absolutely stunning car in certain colors. It is also a more modern car in many ways and the chassis is different than the 987.2. The 987 is a beautiful car, but to many it is dated and looking a little old, if that's important to you....

I don't think the steering feel out weighs the difference in the chassis. IMHO. The handling of the 981 is as good as any car on the road. Just spend some time searching the press that was related to the 981 when it was released.

Now the 2.7... what a great, I mean AWESOME, little engine. Holy Cow -- does it ever sound great and rev freely. The engine feels just as at ease tooling around at 2500 as it does 5000 RPM. I am lucky to have the Porsche Sport Exhaust and it never gets old. Side note: replacement engines for those who track a lot and might fear a replacement, are very reasonable at the moment -- not that we've heard any real issues with the 2.7.

I have the manual gear box and it is spectacular.

I also, being a long time Porsche owner who remembers the great Bruce Anderson, seriously took to heart his sage advice, and I am paraphrasing... "Buy the newest Porsche that your budget allows."

Good luck with the decision and search -- you really can't go wrong with either car.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:46 AM
jeffmatt
3rd Gear

Thank you for all of the replies. The 987.2 S is right in the price range that I want to be, but was maybe thinking go newer but the base instead of the S. Again thank you for you comment.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:47 PM
Mach5
4th Gear

I was in the same situation last year. Finally settled on a 2010 987.2 S and couldn't be happier. I agree the 981's look nice, especially inside. However, there are some strong arguments to be made for the 987.2 as well. As a daily driver I could see the slightly roomier (and arguably nicer) interior of the 981 being a benefit but as a weekend toy the smaller dimensions of the 987 series are perfect. Plus there are not too many cars that have a nicer rear & rear 3/4 view appearance than a 987, gotta love those hips! Plus the added power and brakes on the S are an added bonus. I will admit I am slightly biased ;-) I honestly don't think you could go wrong either way. Enjoy the search, then enjoy the drive!
Old 10-04-2017, 12:27 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,462 Posts

S.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:26 PM
rxnut
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2012 S will give you the better driving experience... if that's the reason you're considering these cars.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:54 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I faced a somewhat similar dilemma 2 years ago, but was comparing an almost fully loaded 2012 Cayman S with 13K km with a almost stripper 2014 Cayman S with 24K km that was $10K more expensive. I drove them back and found that the differences were negligible at best. I personally preferred the exterior look of the 981, but liked the interior of the 987 much more. In the end, I went with the 987.2 as it has more options (sport seats, navi, heated seats, modified exhaust, etc.) and cost $10K less.

These are both fantastic cars and I really don't think that you can go wrong with either one. It's really a matter of personal preference.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree the 981 is better looking (both exterior and interior). I own both (981 Boxster S for the wife, and a 987.2 Cayman S). The extra bells and whistles on the 981 is really nice - LCD screen in the dash cluster, smoother ride, nicer more "wrap-around" dash/console, etc. Also big advantage to a 981: potential to still be under warranty (CPO or remainder of new car warranty).

My wife's first 981 Boxster was a 2014, base with the 2.7, 6sp manual and Sports Chrono. Great fun, rev-happy. Not going to win stoplight races BUT once over 5,000rpm it really ran great. Felt like, while 0-60 might be a little slow, from ~30-40mph up, the car really did move well. I think the long gearing hurts the 2.7 a little.

I say "first" above because it was totaled a few months ago - got rear-ended by a guy in a landscaping truck. We replaced it with a 2015 S.... not because we specifically wanted an S, but because we couldn't find a 2.7 car IN THE COUNTRY that was CPO and had a 6-speed! Comparing the two - the S doesn't feel *substantially* quicker, but it definitely works better with the tall gearing.

IMO though, a big thing to consider would be insurance rates. When I was first shopping for my Cayman (wife's first Boxster came a year later), I was in the same boat: 987.2S or 981 base? I learned that the 981's are more or less glued together, vs the 987 being welded. Which means that, even a minor impact, the 981 is more likely to be totaled... or at the very least, very expensive to repair (requiring a Porsche Authorized Collision Center to do the work). Since my 987's primary purpose is track toy, I wanted something that had a possibility of being repaired should I have an "off track excursion" vs. an almost guaranteed "total loss". When the wife's first 981 was totaled, the car didn't *look* bad at all. It wasn't a "tap" of a hit, but overall it wasn't in bad shape. Wrinkled rear fender, bumper, taillight, trunk lid. I think they were able to drive the car around the tow lot. Was a total loss tho - damages were over $30k!

I can tell you that the difference in insurance premiums between my 987 and the wife's 981 is pretty substantial... almost double. So if you're already *stretching* a little to get into the newer 981, remember insurance will likely be more, too.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow -- an aspect never considered. Didn't even cross my mind at the time of shopping. Still, don't know if I'd base a decision off a possible shunt - though I can see why folks might.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I agree the 981 is better looking (both exterior and interior). I own both (981 Boxster S for the wife, and a 987.2 Cayman S). The extra bells and whistles on the 981 is really nice - LCD screen in the dash cluster, smoother ride, nicer more "wrap-around" dash/console, etc. Also big advantage to a 981: potential to still be under warranty (CPO or remainder of new car warranty).

My wife's first 981 Boxster was a 2014, base with the 2.7, 6sp manual and Sports Chrono. Great fun, rev-happy. Not going to win stoplight races BUT once over 5,000rpm it really ran great. Felt like, while 0-60 might be a little slow, from ~30-40mph up, the car really did move well. I think the long gearing hurts the 2.7 a little.

I say "first" above because it was totaled a few months ago - got rear-ended by a guy in a landscaping truck. We replaced it with a 2015 S.... not because we specifically wanted an S, but because we couldn't find a 2.7 car IN THE COUNTRY that was CPO and had a 6-speed! Comparing the two - the S doesn't feel *substantially* quicker, but it definitely works better with the tall gearing.

IMO though, a big thing to consider would be insurance rates. When I was first shopping for my Cayman (wife's first Boxster came a year later), I was in the same boat: 987.2S or 981 base? I learned that the 981's are more or less glued together, vs the 987 being welded. Which means that, even a minor impact, the 981 is more likely to be totaled... or at the very least, very expensive to repair (requiring a Porsche Authorized Collision Center to do the work). Since my 987's primary purpose is track toy, I wanted something that had a possibility of being repaired should I have an "off track excursion" vs. an almost guaranteed "total loss". When the wife's first 981 was totaled, the car didn't *look* bad at all. It wasn't a "tap" of a hit, but overall it wasn't in bad shape. Wrinkled rear fender, bumper, taillight, trunk lid. I think they were able to drive the car around the tow lot. Was a total loss tho - damages were over $30k!

I can tell you that the difference in insurance premiums between my 987 and the wife's 981 is pretty substantial... almost double. So if you're already *stretching* a little to get into the newer 981, remember insurance will likely be more, too.
"...981's are more or less glued together"? Not discounting your experience (which, btw, I'm sorry to hear about the experience your wife had) but cars are difficult to repair b/c of the 'crumple zones' not b/c they are 'glued together'. From what I've seen of the factory at Stuttgart, these cars are still LARGELY welded together, though glue is certainly used. The Cayman is SUCH a similar structure with regard to construction that I seriously doubt it is substantially different than the 991 (aside from the obvious fact that, at least my 981, was built in Osnabruek, not Stuttgart). I can't comment on the insurance difference as I have never owned a 987, but I do own both a 991s w/powerkit & a 981 currently and I do not find the insurance to be wildly out of line with ANY other car I have ever owned (996, Ferrari, etc.).
I would advise only that you treat much of what you hear on ANY forum as conjecture and do your own research, driving both cars, quoting insurance, and coming up with your own assessment based on your preferences. Good luck!
P.S. - I agree that the 2.7 is great fun! Fantastic little motor!

Quick Reply: 2012 Cayman S vs 2014 Cayman