Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY I JOINED THE CLUB !

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 12:28 PM
ETP66
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FINALLY I JOINED THE CLUB !

I couldn't take it any longer... Just Purchased my first Cayman S. 2006 with 19K miles. Lightly optioned car but not a scratch, dent or ding. Car has been driven less than 2K in the past 2-3 years, stored in a climate controlled garage. Looking for guidance / ideas on what maintenance to preform. Oil was last changed 2015 at 17900..
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2017, 01:37 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by ETP66
I couldn't take it any longer... Just Purchased my first Cayman S. 2006 with 19K miles. Lightly optioned car but not a scratch, dent or ding. Car has been driven less than 2K in the past 2-3 years, stored in a climate controlled garage. Looking for guidance / ideas on what maintenance to preform. Oil was last changed 2015 at 17900..
Step 1: Change the oil.
Step 2: Drive it more - the car needs some break in with how little it's been driven recently.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:16 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I would say check the manual for the maintenance schedule based on time and any records of maintenance performed by prior owners. Agree oil change for sure. Next, to me would be brake fluid flush. The serpentine belt should be changed on time. Can't recall the interval but consider doing that as failure will strand you. Plugs maybe not urgent but also should be changed on time. At 10yr old I'd also consider the trans oil and coolant flush. Check carefully for any signs of leaks unless you had a full PPI. Also check the date codes on the tires. Congrats on the car, looks nice.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Man that is a nice looking car! (I owned a 2008 Cayman S in speed yellow with black leather interior.)

Were that my car I'd do an oil/filter service. IIRC the schedule calls for annual oil changes if the car isn't driven enough miles to trigger a change on mileage.

Plugs may be due on time.

How old are the tires? Porsche considers high performance tires past their replace date after 6 years.

Do or have done a brake *and* clutch fluid flush and bleed. This should be done every 2 years regardless of miles. I can tell you my experience -- a couple of years ago and just this week -- a brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed while there appears to be no change in braking peformance -- given my strictly street usage -- the clutch action really benefits. Just had the front brakes done on my 2002 Boxster and had the brake/clutch fluid flushed/bled and like a couple of years ago -- albeit not quite as dramatic an improvement -- the clutch action is much better.

Are the radiator ducts free of trash? If not I'd clean these out. Check the body water drains for any trash build up. Likely there isn't any but just to be safe.

Minor point but I'd be tempted to run the windshield washers and flush the fluid out and add fresh fluid.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:19 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep - basically just follow the recommended maintenance schedule. Trash scooped in by radiators is common, and worth carefully cleaning. I removed my bumper at 50k miles to more thoroughly clean the radiator area, but you're probably OK with just cleaning from the front at your low mileage. There are 4 drains in the battery area which should be checked. If you take it in for a brake bleed make sure you verify they do the clutch, which is difficult to do with the 6-speed, so is often neglected.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:08 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Join the club - the Porsche Club of America that is. Definitely worth the $46 investment. The monthly magazine "Panorama" alone is worth the price of admission!
Old 09-23-2017, 09:44 PM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Well done. Enjoy the car....if you don't have maintenance history, start with the 4 year/40,000 mile maintenance. Good starting point. Drive that thing and enjoy it

Quick Reply: FINALLY I JOINED THE CLUB !