Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Am I Crazy? Trade my car collection for A GT4

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:26 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

GT4 values will continue to soften. Get a 09 Cayman S and save money. Trade into a GT4 in a few years...
Old 09-18-2017, 12:48 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
GT4 values will continue to soften. Get a 09 Cayman S and save money. Trade into a GT4 in a few years...
See, I like this plan. Keep the collection, buy a 987.2 S. That'll be way more fun than just having one sports car.

Originally Posted by extanker
i am too old for the corvettes anymore
Man, I hate to break this to you about the demographics of Corvette drivers, but it's basically "old people."
Old 09-18-2017, 08:16 PM
rckimbrell
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cayman is a great build...especially the GT4. I had a 2009 987.2 S and it was a great experience in all respects; however, after 5 years I wanted to step up. If you're bored with your current collection, it might be a place to start.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Do it for sure! With all due respect, I can't imagine ever wanting to drive any of those cars over a Cayman of any kind.
To be honest, I'm a Mustang guy as well.....Id even rather have a GT350r over all of those.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:15 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMoose
See, I like this plan. Keep the collection, buy a 987.2 S. That'll be way more fun than just having one sports car.

Man, I hate to break this to you about the demographics of Corvette drivers, but it's basically "old people."
i wish some one told me po owners are hairdressers before i bought
Old 09-27-2017, 09:01 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by MurderAM
Considering trading my modest car collection consisting of:

86 Buick Grand national: needs some work/paint but runs
98 WS6: Runs good, needs minor work/paint
06 Monte Carlo SS V-8: Beater but in decent shape
13 Fiat Abarth Cabrio: low miles a few mods that made a big difference
01 Mustang Gt Convertible: Clean car, a few bolt ons

If i got rid of all of them i could swing A GT4(lightly used) pretty easy,
I think your math might be off a bit.

Rough estimates for the expected values off 5 minutes of ebay/autotrader research on comps, with a tilt towards the higher end of projected sale value:

86 GN- $25K
98 WS6- $15K
06 MC SS- $7K
13 500 Abarth- $13k
01 GT vert- $10k

Overall that comes to about $70k... the cheapest GT4 on AutoTrader as of this moment is $93k. It's in Miami, and it's literally the only one in the 5 figure range. Looks like they're averaging about 105-115k across the country. Good news is, looks like they're pretty much all lightly used, with even that one in Miami having only 7500 miles.

As to your original question, yes, I think it would absolutely be worth it to trade all of those for a Cayman- but I think you should set your sights on a 981S as the GT4 values may still yet reach their peak. If you haven't already though, you should really go drive one and make sure it's for you. It will be a dramatic departure from anything that's currently in your stable. But if I had to guess it seems like you like to have variety and may tend to get bored easily- I get it, I'm similar which is why I chose to lease my last car hoping I could make it to 3 years without an overwhelming urge to move on to something else... but I at least am content to have one car at a time. Considering you'd still have to cough up over $20k even after going through all the pain of selling your collection to be forced to be stuck to one car (plus whatever else you have that's not listed), it's definitely something to consider.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

In fairness to the OP he said if he sold them all he could swing it, he didn't say it would fully pay for it.

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I think your math might be off a bit.

Rough estimates for the expected values off 5 minutes of ebay/autotrader research on comps, with a tilt towards the higher end of projected sale value:

86 GN- $25K
98 WS6- $15K
06 MC SS- $7K
13 500 Abarth- $13k
01 GT vert- $10k

Overall that comes to about $70k... the cheapest GT4 on AutoTrader as of this moment is $93k. It's in Miami, and it's literally the only one in the 5 figure range. Looks like they're averaging about 105-115k across the country. Good news is, looks like they're pretty much all lightly used, with even that one in Miami having only 7500 miles.

As to your original question, yes, I think it would absolutely be worth it to trade all of those for a Cayman- but I think you should set your sights on a 981S as the GT4 values may still yet reach their peak. If you haven't already though, you should really go drive one and make sure it's for you. It will be a dramatic departure from anything that's currently in your stable. But if I had to guess it seems like you like to have variety and may tend to get bored easily- I get it, I'm similar which is why I chose to lease my last car hoping I could make it to 3 years without an overwhelming urge to move on to something else... but I at least am content to have one car at a time. Considering you'd still have to cough up over $20k even after going through all the pain of selling your collection to be forced to be stuck to one car (plus whatever else you have that's not listed), it's definitely something to consider.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:03 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack-Porsche
In fairness to the OP he said if he sold them all he could swing it, he didn't say it would fully pay for it.
Was gonna say... I don't see how that collection gets him to GT4 money. Could make for a reasonable downpayment tho.

I wouldn't hesitate. And this coming from someone who has a soft spot for GN's and thinks the 4th Gen WS6's are a ton of fun to drive.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:21 PM
BlueGT4
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I just picked a GT4 myself couple of weeks ago. I missed getting Cayman R 4 years ago and have been regretting it since then. Decided not to make the same mistake again and pulled a trigger. Fortunately, did not have to sell other toys. Really enjoy driving it, it feels raw, I like it a lot. I can see myself keeping it for a very long time. Very different from Cayman R experience as I remember it.

May I ask why you are thinking about getting one? To me it was- driving experience both street and track. I would not get it if it were for street only.

Originally Posted by MurderAM
Considering trading my modest car collection consisting of:

86 Buick Grand national: needs some work/paint but runs
98 WS6: Runs good, needs minor work/paint
06 Monte Carlo SS V-8: Beater but in decent shape
13 Fiat Abarth Cabrio: low miles a few mods that made a big difference
01 Mustang Gt Convertible: Clean car, a few bolt ons

If i got rid of all of them i could swing A GT4(lightly used) pretty easy,

I would of course keep my 06 H3 and use it a business/daily and of course my bikes are not going anywhere.

Is it worth trading all of these for a GT4? I watched the Chris Harris review and he seemed to go GAGA over this car......owners i would like your opinion on this.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:50 PM
JR1de57
AutoX

Originally Posted by BlueGT4
I just picked a GT4 myself couple of weeks ago. I missed getting Cayman R 4 years ago and have been regretting it since then. Decided not to make the same mistake again and pulled a trigger. Fortunately, did not have to sell other toys. Really enjoy driving it, it feels raw, I like it a lot. I can see myself keeping it for a very long time. Very different from Cayman R experience as I remember it.

May I ask why you are thinking about getting one? To me it was- driving experience both street and track. I would not get it if it were for street only.
^You sir make me jealous lol. also congrats!

I say do it... and have a blast!
Old 11-05-2017, 11:20 PM
PLAY_HRD
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"May I ask why you are thinking about getting one? To me it was- driving experience both street and track. I would not get it if it were for street only."

I'm currently debate a few Porsche option, GT4, 2016 911 GTS, 2018 911. Is there something about the GT4 that makes it a bad street car, and what would you recommend as a street car... and occasional autocross duty.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2017, 04:15 PM
MurderAM
AutoX

Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate it. After giving this much thought the last couple months I have decided to pick up a 01 Boxster S and just add it to my current collection. I got a chance to test drive one yesterday and was really impressed with it. Thanks again for everyone's comments.

Quick Reply: Am I Crazy? Trade my car collection for A GT4