Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DALLAS, TX PPI RECOMMENDATIONS

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:15 PM
BWR41
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DALLAS, TX PPI RECOMMENDATIONS

Does anyone have a trusted dealer or independent shop that does PPI in the Dallas area? The guy I'm looking to purchase a Porsche from is recommending Rac Performance. My hesitation is seller knows the inspector.

RAC PERFORMANCE
https://www.yelp.com/biz/rac-performance-carrollton

2010 Cayman- 49K miles
http://www.dallasautosalespremier.co...e&model=Cayman

Thanks everyone for any help you can give me.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:05 PM
MMMMalex
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forums! I'm in Dallas myself. I did my PPI at JP Euro. I have a friend that works there and it was a bit cheaper than RAC / Autoscope.

It was pretty thorough. Car checked out good and so far no issues (purchased on 1/1 this year). Happy to go over JP Euro's inspection process, but you probably can't go wrong with RAC.

Alex
Old 09-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I am only giving my OPINION/experience, so please take that for what it's worth - I did research on this back in March and came up overwhelmingly with RAC Performance, and Mayo (I believe), less so. Mayo was less expensive and more accommodating but I went with RAC b/c of the MOSTLY positive feedback and I wanted thorough (even if more expensive). It may have been a tough time for them but I was underwhelmed with RAC and wish I would have tried Mayo - I had trouble getting anyone to take my call at RAC to schedule the PPI (except when it came time to pay in advance) and the report was pretty basic. I was told it would be emailed to me, then it wasn't so I had to keep calling them to get it. Then, I had heard so much about how thorough they were so I called Hans to discuss and see if he would kind of "walk me through it" and he seemed impatient (the report was mostly check boxes so I was hoping for some additional insight). Anyway, my point is NOT that it was a bad report or that they did anything wrong just that, in my opinion, not worth a premium over another shop. Like I said, I may have just caught them at a bad time. If i ever needed a Porsche evaluated in the area i would go with Mayo and saved the $$. Best of luck! -Dom
Old 09-11-2017, 04:21 PM
BWR41
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dom. I appreciate it. Aside from not getting amplifying info, after owning your Porsche, did you feel their reports supported the vehicle you purchased? To say it another way, did their report say things were great/various items were checked; however, within the first 6 months you needed a water pump or something to that affect. I will look into Mayo. I don't live in the area so trying to make sure I get a PPI and if all goes well, I'll have it shipped to me in CA.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:53 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

I do, actually. Like I said, it wasn't a bad report, just not worth a premium (to me). I was in a similar situation but coming from the East coast and opting to drive it home. I don't know that I would count on ANYONE to catch a water pump as (unless they are making noise, etc.) they can really go at any time even if the shop did a through inspection. Any shop you use should do paint meter inspection, over-revs, compression test, etc. - I think the VALUE is in analyzing it as a complete picture. For example, "based on X, Y, & Z anomalies, I believe this car was in a accident, flood, etc" (maybe they wouldn't say that out right for fear of being held libel but advising, in their experience, to wait for another car) or conversely, "it looks like a great car that was really cared for, buy it immediately or I will" 😀. I believe THAT is what is worth extra value, based on a qualified assessment. They did catch dry rot on the front tires and advise that the brake fluid had too much moisture in it - I would not have found those things but I think any qualified shop SHOULD have. Definitely worth getting a PPI.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:57 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

One additional point - even with a PPI and that you plan on shipping, I would NOT personally buy a car without seeing it in person and driving it. I think it's a small additional investment to make and insure yourself further against buyers' remorse ..😀 Good luck! -Dom

Quick Reply: DALLAS, TX PPI RECOMMENDATIONS