Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this 2014 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Andle
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on this 2014 Cayman S

Currently driving a Macan S and have the itch to switch it to a Cayman. I found this 2014 Cayman S close by. Looking for any thoughts on the price and options. Thanks!

https://www.porschepasadena.com/cert...28a4d1c4c1.htm
Old 09-09-2017, 10:14 PM
nodnarb204
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cayman

Is this a second car or daily driver?

I'm looking for similar(but i'm on other side of country). MY DD is a cayenne, and I just dont think this is practical for a DD. I had a TT as a daily driver and i was constantly kicking Myself with limit space, back killing from getting in out for various errands.

My thought on this one is the miles - even with extended warranty which will expire in a couple years still starting with a lot for a sports car. The options are great on it.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:43 PM
Andle
6th Gear

I was gonna make it my DD haha. I like my current macan as a DD but I feel it's missing something
Old 09-10-2017, 01:56 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

I'm no longer a fan of black cars after owning them, but it has all the right options you'd want (Sport Chrono, sport design wheel, sport tailpipes).

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2017, 08:59 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Andle
Currently driving a Macan S and have the itch to switch it to a Cayman. I found this 2014 Cayman S close by. Looking for any thoughts on the price and options. Thanks!

https://www.porschepasadena.com/cert...28a4d1c4c1.htm
I found one 5 months ago with less miles 12,500 and more options than this one for 56k. I would keep looking imo. Vented seats was a must have option for me.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:27 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dndodd
Vented seats was a must have option for me.
Yea, I lived in Huntsville / BHam for about 6 years - ventilated seats there would have been a godsend.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:38 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Miles are high for the price.

Picked up a 14 Cayman S with 12,000 miles for around $52K in May. Same options, and a couple more. Keep looking. The car you want is out there.

I am slowly turning mine into a dedicated track car that will also be driven to the track as well.

You may want some lower mileage options for that car. What is it's history? How many owners? How many track days? Is it CPO? etc.?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:00 AM
Andle
6th Gear

Going to go test drive it tomorrow so I'll check out the condition. The dealer said it was one owner who traded in it cause she order a new 718. He made it sound like she was a simple violinist who drove it around as her DD but that could be lies for all I know haha. It is CPO which is very important to me as I'd like to have that safety.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:15 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Going to go test drive it tomorrow so I'll check out the condition. The dealer said it was one owner who traded in it cause she order a new 718. He made it sound like she was a simple violinist who drove it around as her DD but that could be lies for all I know haha. It is CPO which is very important to me as I'd like to have that safety.
Yes, the CPO is big. Enjoy your test drive and report back on your decision. They are wonderful cars. That mid engine balance is amazing.
Look forward to hearing about the test drive. Good luck...
Old 09-13-2017, 11:13 AM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you mean a car dealer might lie? Surely not!
Old 09-14-2017, 04:50 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Negotiate and see where you end up. My experience has always been that advertised prices are simply a starting point, so comparing the price on this car to sold cars isn't fair. All that being said, power steering plus is a bit of a controversial option.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Andle
6th Gear

I test drove the car and enjoyed it. Sounds good and surprisingly fits me pretty well (I'm about 6 ft, 240 lbs). I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this except the mileage still has me a bit uncomfortable as this is my first time buying a preowned car. I believe the initial MSRP was ~83k and the dealer is offering a decent amount off.

Is 40,000 miles a safe buy? I'm looking to keep this car for as long as I can.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:43 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

I test drove the car and enjoyed it. Sounds good and surprisingly fits me pretty well (I'm about 6 ft, 240 lbs). I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this except the mileage still has me a bit uncomfortable as this is my first time buying a preowned car. I believe the initial MSRP was ~83k and the dealer is offering a decent amount off.

Of German luxury makes, Porsche is the best you'll get with reliability assuming all regular maintenance has been done.
If all service records are good (at a Porsche dealer or trusted shop) then I think you're doing fine (find the maintenance schedule for a 981 Cayman, compare with records).
Old 09-19-2017, 08:54 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

40K miles on a Porsche is just barely broken in.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:03 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

If it was well taken care of and serviced, and you/they have those service bills, then you're in better shape than you might think.

Pay the coupe hundred bucks for a PPI and let that guide you as well.

The CPO should give you some peace of mind. What's left on the CPO?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 2014 Cayman S