Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Here - 911 vs Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 04:24 PM
GRIEHL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I am going to weigh in on this. I use the forum for parts hunting..but this thread peaked my interest. A little background...I am a car guy, grew up with Volvo and moved to BMW. My wife and I opened a car lot and I surprised with a Cayenne that I got cheap at the auction bcs it needed a center support bearing. She loves it. V6 with options, she could care less. Great vehicle.

So, a few months later an 07 Cayman 2.7 5-speed needing...well...plugs, coils, tires, brakes, starter, oil-air sep, came up at the auction (grey/black, no real options, but nice shape in general) I got it for a tad over 5k, spent 1k on it, did most of the most myself and holy sh*t I love it. Loveeee it. So much fun. I drive it a few times a week, sits in the garage most of the time but, man. Amazing vehicle.

So then I start looking for a 911's....I have found a few here and there on ebay and such for 5-7k.....I am going back and forth if it is worth it, I am sure a cheaper 911 will need work, is it worth the hassle? Buy it and sell it?

So, this post caught my eye. It seems like both models have their pluses and minuses.

2001 911 base, manual or 2007 Cayman base, manual?

To respond to the original post......

I love my base Cayman. The storage is nice.....I think at the end of the day, to the initial question of the post....drive both and go with your gut. All vehicles will break and will need work....
Old 10-22-2017, 07:40 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
Unless you are buying the car strictly for occasional fun when time allows, buying either of those cars will definitely be a hassle if you have a family. My daughter HATED the back seat of the 911 to the point where it may as well have been a Cayman, since she'd complain every time I said "let's take the Porsche". Kids would far rather ride in a Yukon. Trust me.
Not in my experience. 991 Cab owner here. Kids are always complaining when we DON'T drive it. Nothing beats getting dropped off at school in the 911. Wife loves showing up all the other SUV driving soccer moms by being the cool mom in the sports car.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:20 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
Not in my experience. 991 Cab owner here. Kids are always complaining when we DON'T drive it. Nothing beats getting dropped off at school in the 911. Wife loves showing up all the other SUV driving soccer moms by being the cool mom in the sports car.
You let your wife drive it?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:54 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
You let your wife drive it?
You mean she lets me to drive it occasionally! She puts 80% of the miles on it. She had an E92 M3 that we sold almost immediately after picking up the 991. She has always been a hardcore BMW enthusiast and only owned manuals since college, but I have flipped her to the dark side (Porsches, not PDK transmissions). She blew away some jackass dude in a Challenger in a stoplight race today, he kept egging her on, and he got Chicked. A 991 C2S 7MT cab may not be the fastest car out there, but it isn't exactly slow, either.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:06 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
You mean she lets me to drive it occasionally! She puts 80% of the miles on it. She had an E92 M3 that we sold almost immediately after picking up the 991. She has always been a hardcore BMW enthusiast and only owned manuals since college, but I have flipped her to the dark side (Porsches, not PDK transmissions). She blew away some jackass dude in a Challenger in a stoplight race today, he kept egging her on, and he got Chicked. A 991 C2S 7MT cab may not be the fastest car out there, but it isn't exactly slow, either.
Got it...

Quick Reply: New Here - 911 vs Cayman