Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible purchase of 2008 Cayman S from Car Max

Old 08-22-2017, 12:59 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Possible purchase of 2008 Cayman S from Car Max

I've been looking for my first Porsche (at age 70) for a while. I started out looking for 997 911s's and have been frustrated at the "stories" that seem to accompany reasonably affordable cars (i.e. under $40,000). I drove a friend's 2015 Boxster over the weekend and came to the conclusion that a Cayman S would be another good alternative.

I've identified a 2008 Cayman S, 6- speed, at CarMax in Boynton Beach, FL. Well-optioned, 25,000 miles, $37,000. Since I'm in NC, I could have it shipped but it's a 14-21 day delay. I'm planning to have a PPI done by a local shop (maybe Pedro's Garage) and, if that flies, I'll fly down and pick it up.

The price is a bit of a premium over what I am seeing, but the logistics would work out, and I can get an extended warranty ($300 deductible, for 5 years, up to 75,000 miles for $2649). I understand from the 996/997 forums that the warranty is fairly reliable as to paying out.

I would appreciate any reactions to the car (only Cayman in Boynton Beach CarMax), to the deal, or to dealing with CarMax. This is a new process to me as I have not dealt with them before. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:06 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

$37k seems high for a pre-2009.

I have to imagine that you should be able to find a 2009+ for not much more. 2009+ has the updated motor, fewer "known" problems, more horsepower.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:00 PM
WenigRot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price seems to be in line based on a quick search of cars.com. Here is one in Raleigh you might want to check out:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5178/overview/
Old 08-22-2017, 02:54 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

I agree that it's priced at a premium. I think part of the premium is in the mileage, and part strictly in the CarMax model.

WenigRot, if the car were not black, I'd be interested, the only color I really don't want.

And I would prefer 2009+, but all that pop up as affordable have some configuration issue e.g. PDK, low spec, etc.

Basically my choice is whether I can find a good car for less (I can) vs. spending a total of about $40,000 and getting a nice car with the right equipment with effectively a 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty. How much is that level of guarantee worth? Thanks for your patience with my agonizing in public.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:11 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No way I would give that much for a 987.1

I would much rather have a base 987.2 over a 987.1 S. You can find a top of the market 987.2 Base for that kind of money, you just need to be patient as there weren't many made between 2009-2012.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:57 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't spend 987.2 money on a 987.1, keep looking.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:13 AM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree the car seems overpriced. My first choice would be to buy a single owner car from the owner (I really like knowing the car's history) and get a PPI. These cars are pretty reliable, but the cost to repair things is ridiculous. My one and only experience at Carmax was very bad. The car (Mazda3 for my daughter) looked good but had been abused, and although Carmax ended up fixing everything (including replacing a door), it was a very frustrating experience. If you really like the Carmax car, you can wait a while - they will reduce the price until it sells, and at the current price I doubt it will sell. The other problem with Carmax is if things go wrong during the first 30 days, I think you'll be stuck taking it back to Carmax for repair, and I don't know if that's the best place to get a Porsche fixed.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:00 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by danschy
I agree the car seems overpriced. My first choice would be to buy a single owner car from the owner (I really like knowing the car's history) and get a PPI. These cars are pretty reliable, but the cost to repair things is ridiculous. My one and only experience at Carmax was very bad. The car (Mazda3 for my daughter) looked good but had been abused, and although Carmax ended up fixing everything (including replacing a door), it was a very frustrating experience. If you really like the Carmax car, you can wait a while - they will reduce the price until it sells, and at the current price I doubt it will sell. The other problem with Carmax is if things go wrong during the first 30 days, I think you'll be stuck taking it back to Carmax for repair, and I don't know if that's the best place to get a Porsche fixed.
Most of the time, they actually then take it to a Porsche dealer if it's not something they can address in-house.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:13 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the very frank comments. And there are points to be considered. As an update, my latest plan had been to have car shipped to Greenville SC. For $400 I could inspect the car personally. If I bought the car, I have 5 days to return it; during that time I would have a good shop here in the Asheville area do a PPI. If all looked good then they could finish up a first service and establish a baseline service record. Still sounds like a good plan, however, I have decided to hold off on that for a while, based somewhat on your comments.

As to a 987.2, I would prefer to have one, but I'm trying to stick to an under $40,000 budget. Most that I've seen in that range are PDK's or are low-spec cars. But I keep my eyes open.

All agree that this car is premium-priced, but it has been a temptation due to low miles, nice option package, and distinctive uphoslstery.

I'll keep looking.....and asking questions.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by RWPinNC; 08-24-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:26 PM
WenigRot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my 2010 Cayman, 19,100 miles, well optioned, with a CPO for well under $40k. They're out there if you are patient.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:15 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RWPinNC

As to a 987.2, I would prefer to have one, but I'm trying to stick to an under $40,000 budget. Most that I've seen in that range are PDK's or are low-spec cars. But I keep my eyes open.

Thanks for your input.
If you're not finding 987.2 6 Speeds for $23,000 to $35,000 then you're not looking in the right places! I found many of them using cars.com and searching craigslist. I found my car on craigslist. I wouldn't hesitate to look farther away and have a car inspected and shipped. I've used a good broker out of Colorado a couple times and have been please with the price and service.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:01 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the Raleigh NC area, and there are 2 2010 Caymans in my general area on Autotrader under $30K. Forget about the gorgeous 2011. I already bought it. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odes=MAN&Log=0
Old 08-24-2017, 12:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by RWPinNC
Thanks for the very frank comments. And there are points to be considered. As an update, my latest plan had been to have car shipped to Greenville SC. For $400 I could inspect the car personally. If I bought the car, I have 5 days to return it; during that time I would have a good shop here in the Asheville area do a PPI. If all looked good then they could finish up a first service and establish a baseline service record. Still sounds like a good plan, however, I have decided to hold off on that for a while, based somewhat on your comments.

All agree that this car is premium-priced, but it has been a temptation due to low miles, nice option package, and distinctive uphoslstery.

Thanks for your input.
FWIW and maybe not much back in April 2009 I bought a new 2008 Cayman S: speed yellow, black interior, 6-speed, sports chromo, heated seat, auto climate and other options I forget; for $50.6K. The car was discounted $12K from its MSRP of $62.6K.

The market was real soft back then and Porsche dealers were giving not only Caymans away, but Boxsters and even the 911 models. For instance 911 Cabs were discounted $30K.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:49 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks promising to me and it's close.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...elCode1=CAYMAN

Eddie
Old 08-24-2017, 10:13 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the follow-up suggestions. I've been monitoring Cars.com, autotrader, PCA.org, this site, and several other lists. I was planning to post this tomorrow after a PPI, but there may be some interest. I have a commitment to buy this 2006, pending successful PPI. The dealer's listing provides a wealth of into. Briefly, it's a Seal Gray S with 42,000 miles, and virtually all the accessories I wanted (except for heated/power seats). With the receipts, stamped inspection book, and CarFax, I will have mostly complete service history of regular maintenance. Dealer ran DME and sent me overrev report, nothing at 4 and above and very little at 1 and 2. Based on that, I'm having a PPI tomorrow; the shop doing the PPI actually performed the 40,000 service for the previous owner, and they indicated the car was in great condition, and they would not expect any fatal flaws. Both dealer (Millenia) and PPI shop (Driver's Choice) have positive compliments on these boards. Barring any issues, my wife and I will fly to Orlando on Wednesday to pick up.

Wish me luck, again and I'll report when process has been completed.

Thanks again for your collective patience.

http://www.milleniamotors.com/2006-P...-32750/5888532

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible purchase of 2008 Cayman S from Car Max