Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S, 987.2 with sketchy records

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 04:16 AM
roadtripper1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman S, 987.2 with sketchy records

Hello all, I am new to this great forum. Owned 1990 944S2 with MO30 for 5 years. Lots of tracking in that car as well as others. Light autocross in the Porsche and heavy autocross several years in other cars.

Now looking to buy Cayman S 987.2 with mileage in mid 40K, but with sketchy records. Here are my concerns:

Original owner drove car 22,000 miles in a little more than a year, no record of any maintenance, checking with Porsche dealer database, Carfax, and Autocheck.

Car was traded at 22K to non-Porsche dealer, who then had it serviced at a Porsche dealer. Abbreviated repair order copy said 20K service, no indication of issues found or issues not corrected.

Second owner had oil and filter change at Porsche dealer at 31K. Abbreviated repair order copy did not say 30K service. I have no idea what was done, but I would have expected brake fluid change. This was 2 years after original owner purchase.

Third and current owner has good records during his ownership and had 40K and safety inspection with Porsche dealer a couple of years and several thousand miles ago. Safety check was good but owner turned down brake fluid change on fact that he has had car in dry climate since he bought it. For all I know the brake fluid may have never been changed. Dealer recommended change based on time only. No indication of any test being performed on fluid.

So, I will get a PPI from owner's local dealer. There are no Porsche independent shops anywhere near. I have good independents, but live more than 7 hours away. Given the above questions regarding brake fluid and maybe no 10K service, or limited 20K and 30K, should I have the dealer do any testing or inspections (borescope?) not part of the typical PPI?

While I am at it, are there any inspections at reasonable cost for clutch condition, clutch cables, water pump, AOS, or other issues that seem to pop up around this mileage? FYI, I have read the Planet 9 buyers guide. This car is in very good condition, inside and out, everything works and it drives very well,

Thanks for advice anyone can offer on the above.

Dave, roadtripper1
Old 08-22-2017, 08:20 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

What's the price of the car?

If the price is reasonable and you like the car, buy the car and a power bleeder and flush the brakes yourself. It's not hard to do, and you'll know exactly what type and how old the brake fluid is.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:42 AM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the brake fluid, just do a flush after you get the car. Mine was original 8 year old fluid and the brakes worked fine before and after I flushed the system. In fact mine had not had any of the 10k inspections, just regular oil changes. I did all of this once I got the car. You could use that as a negotiating point, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's time for plugs, air filter (engine and cabin) and a once over of brake pads and rotors to see if they are worn. If it's been to the dealer a couple times in the last 20,000 miles it should be fine. I personally wouldn't spend money on anything beyond a standard PPI. I know everyone in the Porsche world is big on PPI's and they do give peace of mind and can net you some points in the negotiation game, but I bought mine without one based on conversations with the owner and having a relative look at, drive the car and meet the seller. Go drive it and meet the seller if this is the car you want. How much is the ask and what are the options on the car?
Old 08-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Dave, you could ask the PPI dealer to check the water content of the existing brake fluid (there's an electronic continuity tester for that).

I always figure on having to change most or all fluids/filters, etc anyway when I buy in a situation like this and mentally budget for that going in.

PPI should look for signs of a failing AOS (smoking, excessive vacuum in the oil filler), water pump failure (leaky pump, noises), as well as clutch "feel", etc.

IMO it is unlikely that the first owner did not change oil before 22K, but even if he didn't, it should be OK as 20K oil change interval was Porsche's schedule for some vehicles in some years. A bore of the cylinders would be helpful, but I would personally probably not go to that extent unless the car was exhibiting symptoms of premature bore wear.

There is some risk of accelerated wear from possible extended oil change intervals and/or old brake fluid and I guess you'll have to accept that if you pursue this car. If the car was otherwise what I wanted and priced well I would probably go for it.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:45 PM
roadtripper1
AutoX

Thank you Spokayman. Regarding brake fluid, does it not pick up contaminants other than water from within the system that could lead to premature failure of master cylinder etc.?

What are symptoms of premature bore wear?
Old 08-22-2017, 03:54 PM
roadtripper1
AutoX

Bill C 3. Asking price is in low 40's. Seller might come down a bit.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:03 PM
roadtripper1
AutoX

Tommy V, options are manual sport seats, heated, convenience package, infotainment package and Bose. Asking price low $40,000. The 40K service was all inclusive per Porsche schedule except for brake fluid.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:19 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadtripper1
Tommy V, options are manual sport seats, heated, convenience package, infotainment package and Bose. Asking price low $40,000. The 40K service was all inclusive per Porsche schedule except for brake fluid.
That sounds reasonable for a 987.2 Cayman S. Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Old 08-22-2017, 09:34 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I know this car! I drove 3 hours while on vacation to meet with him to check it out. Glad to know I wasn’t the only one to think the records were sketchy. The way he made his ad sound I was disappointed when I actually saw the record. He made it sound like it was brand new, enthusiast owned but really it looks like a 45k mile car or whatever it is with at best dealer minimum servicing.

Car is quick but kind of soft feeling. Maybe we were really looking for a C2S. Might be his all season tires too.

color is beautiful. It has a good amount of rock chips commensurate for the mileage from being in the pacific nw.

car looks pretty clean underneath from what I can see.

I felt that the brake fluid change interval may have contributed to kind of a soft brake pedal. Softer than M3 or Carrera brakes at least. 1st 987 I drove so I’m not sure if they’re all like that.

in the end I wasn’t that impressed with 987 and decided we’re really looking for 997. I have some close up photos if you want me to share.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by roadtripper1
Hello all, I am new to this great forum. Owned 1990 944S2 with MO30 for 5 years. Lots of tracking in that car as well as others. Light autocross in the Porsche and heavy autocross several years in other cars.

Now looking to buy Cayman S 987.2 with mileage in mid 40K, but with sketchy records. Here are my concerns:

Original owner drove car 22,000 miles in a little more than a year, no record of any maintenance, checking with Porsche dealer database, Carfax, and Autocheck.

Car was traded at 22K to non-Porsche dealer, who then had it serviced at a Porsche dealer. Abbreviated repair order copy said 20K service, no indication of issues found or issues not corrected.

Second owner had oil and filter change at Porsche dealer at 31K. Abbreviated repair order copy did not say 30K service. I have no idea what was done, but I would have expected brake fluid change. This was 2 years after original owner purchase.

Third and current owner has good records during his ownership and had 40K and safety inspection with Porsche dealer a couple of years and several thousand miles ago. Safety check was good but owner turned down brake fluid change on fact that he has had car in dry climate since he bought it. For all I know the brake fluid may have never been changed. Dealer recommended change based on time only. No indication of any test being performed on fluid.

So, I will get a PPI from owner's local dealer. There are no Porsche independent shops anywhere near. I have good independents, but live more than 7 hours away. Given the above questions regarding brake fluid and maybe no 10K service, or limited 20K and 30K, should I have the dealer do any testing or inspections (borescope?) not part of the typical PPI?

While I am at it, are there any inspections at reasonable cost for clutch condition, clutch cables, water pump, AOS, or other issues that seem to pop up around this mileage? FYI, I have read the Planet 9 buyers guide. This car is in very good condition, inside and out, everything works and it drives very well,

Thanks for advice anyone can offer on the above.

Dave, roadtripper1
You need to road test the car. First as a passenger then as a driver. The route wants to be around 15 miles in length and chosen so the driver (first the seller then you) can drive the car as you intend to use it: A mix of city stop/go, boulevard, and highway/freeway driving.

This will give you a chance to test the clutch for slippage or note any abnormal behavior from the clutch. You also get to experience the engine, the transmission, brakes, steering, and other systems.

Road test the car. If the car is ok on the road then arrange for a PPI. At this time the car will be lifted in the air and a careful check made for any leak sign. This is one reason for the test ride and then drive and that is to have the engine runnng for about an hour and most of the time up to temperature. If there is a leaking water pump, or some other leak, its presence will be noticed during the PPI.

Besides the overdue brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed likely the plugs are due to be changed on time. Be sure the tires are not past their replace by date. Porsche considers these high performance tires past it when 6 years old.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:22 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I had seen the car that the OP mentioned and road tested it last month with the owner. He has a nice route through the countryside roads. I was able to WOT in 2nd a few times. It felt quick but i just dont think the 987.2 is that impressive. It was also easy to see under the car which looked fairly clean and scrape free. I sent the OP my photos.

It is on some sort of all season tires. Original summer tires definitely wouldn't have lasted 45k miles.

Quick Reply: Cayman S, 987.2 with sketchy records