Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Suspension Quandry - Calling All Track Guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default My Suspension Quandry - Calling All Track Guys

2014 981 2.7L :

Take a chance on the X73 (so freaking economical) or go right for the Ohlins Road & Track?

Lord knows after 25 year I am trying, attempting, NOT to create yet another track that is crappy on the normal roadway, costs a fortune, but is GD awesome on track. Have zero room for both a track car and street Porsche so once again trying to find that impossible magic middle ground.

I am all new to the Cayman... have no idea just how good it is or is not on the track.

Did spend a half a run group at an event I was teaching at and pulled off right away knowing the car was too soft... however, I was also on street tires so it was a little harder to tell just how much improvement the car will need.

Obviously - starting with springs and dampers... so please let's not interject with talk of control arms, bushing and toe links -- yet. First things first.

I have promised my better half not to go crazy for the 10th time - although she is quite used to it by now and the best wife a guy could have. I guess the bottom line is the Ohlins package worth the extra $1650 in parts? (I included $500 for sways as the Ohlins kit does not include them like the X73) In the old days the factory M030 suspension was crap when considered for a track upgrade -- is the X73 a different animal or just the essentially the same old minor enhancement?

Thoughts, ramblings and stray observations encouraged.

Thanks-
BG
Old 08-15-2017, 08:51 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

There is a "best of both worlds" option, but it's more expensive: Buy a set of Bilstein Damptronic struts and a DSC standalone system. I did this on my old Cayman R, and it was a noticeable improvement -- comfortable on the street and rock-solid on the track. In fact, I liked the DSC so much that the first thing I did on my GT4 (which replaced the R) is install a DSC box. And, the guy that bought my R is loving the suspension.

If that's too expensive, then I vote for getting the X73 suspension.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:05 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BillC3
There is a "best of both worlds" option, but it's more expensive: Buy a set of Bilstein Damptronic struts and a DSC standalone system. I did this on my old Cayman R, and it was a noticeable improvement -- comfortable on the street and rock-solid on the track. In fact, I liked the DSC so much that the first thing I did on my GT4 (which replaced the R) is install a DSC box. And, the guy that bought my R is loving the suspension.

If that's too expensive, then I vote for getting the X73 suspension.
Thanks for the suggestion, Bill, however I am really after any comparison between the X73 and the Ohlins R&T.

I guess in simple terms -- what would be the better street / track set up between those "taking into consideration" the difference in cost?

(I do realize how subjective this all is and how much it's a personal taste thing - but I am looking for general thoughts from the 981 collective!)
Old 08-15-2017, 10:05 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was in a similar boat. I had a WRX which was modded as much as it could be for autocross (STX class). It took home trophies at national events and sucked to daily drive the other 340 days a year. I sold it and bought a Miata thinking it would handle better in stock form. A couple months later that had a stiffer set of ST coilovers and it started to get less comfy as a daily driver. Now I've made the jump to Cayman looking for something that is fast, fun, handles well, and is still decent on the street.

My GTS has the PASM. I'm sure the X73 is better suited for track use, but the switchable damping modes make the car so wonderful when driven on the street. If the Bilstein's Bill mentioned above are anywhere close for rates and damping properties then I definitely support his recommendation. You still aren't going to get a hardcore track weapon which corners flat and does everything you want it to do, but that's not the purpose of a street driven car. It comes down to convincing yourself that what you have is good enough. Every time I'm at the track I think about how much better my car might handle with the X73 suspension, but then I remember the roads I drive on and the fact that my PASM at 10mm higher still scrapes on the occasional driveway. As soon as I go for another surface street drive I'm back to appreciating the softer damper setting.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scooby921
I was in a similar boat. I had a WRX which was modded as much as it could be for autocross (STX class). It took home trophies at national events and sucked to daily drive the other 340 days a year. I sold it and bought a Miata thinking it would handle better in stock form. A couple months later that had a stiffer set of ST coilovers and it started to get less comfy as a daily driver. Now I've made the jump to Cayman looking for something that is fast, fun, handles well, and is still decent on the street.

My GTS has the PASM. I'm sure the X73 is better suited for track use, but the switchable damping modes make the car so wonderful when driven on the street. If the Bilstein's Bill mentioned above are anywhere close for rates and damping properties then I definitely support his recommendation. You still aren't going to get a hardcore track weapon which corners flat and does everything you want it to do, but that's not the purpose of a street driven car. It comes down to convincing yourself that what you have is good enough. Every time I'm at the track I think about how much better my car might handle with the X73 suspension, but then I remember the roads I drive on and the fact that my PASM at 10mm higher still scrapes on the occasional driveway. As soon as I go for another surface street drive I'm back to appreciating the softer damper setting.
Great feedback, Scooby. Thanks. I think it answers my questions... I have a friend who summed it this way...

"You need to like it first on street, THEN on track. Anything really track worthy you know you'll' really like, until you get back to driving it on the streets."

I have to refrain from wanting to "win" DE.

If the X73 is comparable and similair in performance to the Ohlins Road & Track then I don't see the necessity to spending the additional cash. My financial planner has been warning me for years that I am not a race car driver!
Old 08-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Great feedback, Scooby. Thanks. I think it answers my questions... I have a friend who summed it this way...

"You need to like it first on street, THEN on track. Anything really track worthy you know you'll' really like, until you get back to driving it on the streets."

I have to refrain from wanting to "win" DE.

If the X73 is comparable and similair in performance to the Ohlins Road & Track then I don't see the necessity to spending the additional cash. My financial planner has been warning me for years that I am not a race car driver!
This part is pretty easy for me with the local HPDE group I drive with. My car, regardless of the suspension and tires I put on it, will never be fast enough to keep up with the NASA TT3 prepared Corvettes or the Panoz Esperante GTS's that some people have. It makes me happy enough when I sail on past the slow drivers in fast cars.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:38 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scooby921
This part is pretty easy for me with the local HPDE group I drive with. My car, regardless of the suspension and tires I put on it, will never be fast enough to keep up with the NASA TT3 prepared Corvettes or the Panoz Esperante GTS's that some people have. It makes me happy enough when I sail on past the slow drivers in fast cars.
Right. What will ultimately determine my decisions with this car is that no matter what I could possibly do to it -- it would never run with well driven GT3s, GT4, Turbos, Z06, etc. This is why I am pretty much resigned to the X73. It's all Porsche and it'll be what it'll be. I really love the thing as my DD. Track now is icing and no longer the priority.
Whether my wife believes that is another story. She still thinks this 2.7 will end her DD in a year and I'll be back in a track rat with 400+ hp.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:09 PM
bdf
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't speak to the aftermarket suspensions but I do track a stock Cayman R (X73) in the red run group with NNJR. Coming from a 993 with 600/800 springs and revalved bilsteins the Cayman is soft but not so much that I feel the need to back off at all. I have had it for 3 years and the car has a lot more in it before I would think about upgrades. Yet I can take the Boss (Wifey) out for a cruise and dinner without being uncomfortable.

I'll be at the Glen in September. Happy to let you try it out if you happen to be there as well.

BTW, your wife was my first instructor many, many years ago.

Brian
Old 08-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bdf
Can't speak to the aftermarket suspensions but I do track a stock Cayman R (X73) in the red run group with NNJR. Coming from a 993 with 600/800 springs and revalved bilsteins the Cayman is soft but not so much that I feel the need to back off at all. I have had it for 3 years and the car has a lot more in it before I would think about upgrades. Yet I can take the Boss (Wifey) out for a cruise and dinner without being uncomfortable.

I'll be at the Glen in September. Happy to let you try it out if you happen to be there as well.

BTW, your wife was my first instructor many, many years ago.

Brian
Awesome offer, Brian - Thanks you! But unfortunately, I don't think I'll be at the Glen, however, you never know! I might just have something pulled together by then.

Speaking of my insanely tolerant wife -- I've had the car for just over a month and she has not driven it yet! I fear this might be the closest I've come to getting a divorce in 29 years.. Need to change that as then I'll have to official approval to go crazy with it!

Old 08-16-2017, 01:19 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Cannot speak to a direct comparison on a cayman. I have driven a 981 Cayman s with x73 and I came away surprised by how livable it was on some harsh Dallas roads (did not get it on the track). A very good option if you don't want/need to adjust the settings.

I also have considerable seat time in a BMW 1M with the Ohlins R&T. That is the route I would go. The 1M is a very fun car, but stock I would describe the suspension as stiff and almost crashy over smaller bumps/inconsistencies in the road. Certainly not supple. The ohlins dampers are very high quality, and they are adjustable. They did a much better job soaking up bumps on the road, rather than crashing over them. You can stiffen the car up for you track days and find a nice, softer setting for your street driving.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:24 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lcrain
Cannot speak to a direct comparison on a cayman. I have driven a 981 Cayman s with x73 and I came away surprised by how livable it was on some harsh Dallas roads (did not get it on the track). A very good option if you don't want/need to adjust the settings.

I also have considerable seat time in a BMW 1M with the Ohlins R&T. That is the route I would go. The 1M is a very fun car, but stock I would describe the suspension as stiff and almost crashy over smaller bumps/inconsistencies in the road. Certainly not supple. The ohlins dampers are very high quality, and they are adjustable. They did a much better job soaking up bumps on the road, rather than crashing over them. You can stiffen the car up for you track days and find a nice, softer setting for your street driving.

I hope this helps.
Thanks, Icrain.

I've read the R&T package is quite supple when tuned soft. I guess it's really going come down to use and cost... if the X73 is comparable on track, and is not a filling breaker on the street I'll give it a try. I could use the $1500 I don't spend on the Ohlins for stuff like those engine mount inserts and rear reinforcement strut.

I've never regretted in the past keeping a car 100% Porsche -- believe me -- I'm not casting aspersions on anything folks do to their cars as I've mod'ed a lot of them... it's just always kind of cool to have a car that seems pretty capable on track and is 100% Factory; but they need to be fairly current to keep that pace up.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I have NOT tracked it but was surprised how much I liked the x73 for street use - I do not find it too harsh & felt like the 'standard' suspension was too 'loose'. Scrapes a little more, so you have to be more careful, but that is the only downside so far. Good luck!

Quick Reply: My Suspension Quandry - Calling All Track Guys