Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:11 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts
Default New to Porsche - New 718

I just picked this up Saturday and am so far in love

Hi res album (couple more photos): http://imgur.com/a/gHrhs

Only thing I need to do is find a comfortable seating position - either the Cleveland roads are taking a toll or I have yet to find the perfect seating / lumbar support (or I need to just get used to it) to make my lower back not feel achy nearly every time (I am 26 y.o., so this should not be "age" getting to me yet )

I switched into this from my 2016 Golf R - when my R was tuned, it felt a lot peppier but this hands down beats the R in how solid it feels and refined stock vs stock.

Already ordered clear LED side markers and hopefully I can skate by without putting on a front plate holder
Old 08-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Good for you....enjoy!
Old 08-08-2017, 08:22 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Oh you're going to have fun!!

The seating position shouldn't be a problem unless you're configured like Quasimodo. It's just not an upright seating position like the Golf. As the engine is turbo, the tuners will have upgrades available at any time - if not already.

There are license plate mounts available that screw into the tow hook mount on the bumper. Easy on, easy off.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:38 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DBH
Oh you're going to have fun!!

The seating position shouldn't be a problem unless you're configured like Quasimodo. It's just not an upright seating position like the Golf. As the engine is turbo, the tuners will have upgrades available at any time - if not already.

There are license plate mounts available that screw into the tow hook mount on the bumper. Easy on, easy off.
I'm 6'1" and about 60/40 legs/upper body. I'd sit farther back but the steering wheel doesn't come out enough! :P

And yes I know about the towhook mount, but I'd rather not have ANY front plate.

The only "tune" I'm aware of that's readily available is the VR Tuned piggyback - and while that would have been great on my Golf, applying it to the Cayman requires a whole process just to get to the engine.
I know Cobb is in development on an AP for the 718 but who knows when that will ever get done
Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Congratulations! Super nice car. And love the two-toned interior. I have seen the red over black in a local car and it ROCKS.

I wouldn't worry too much about a tune at this stage. Just enjoy the car and keep the revs nice and high. There's plenty of power to get you into trouble! ( IMO )
Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 PM
dpaul
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Very Nice...

I love the color combo... Beautiful !!!!

Are those the 18" Boxster wheels????????
Old 08-09-2017, 05:23 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dpaul
I love the color combo... Beautiful !!!!

Are those the 18" Boxster wheels????????
19" Cayman S wheels
Old 08-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful machine! Have fun!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 PM
thunderstrike
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful Silver Cayman S.

I decided to get 18" Cayman wheel which has more meaty tires. Rides a bit smoother than my low profile tires on my 2014 GLI Autobahn. Happy with Cayman 2.0T, has plenty of power. Porsche needs to improve on cup holders because coffee mug seems to slip off the cup holder when accerlating; also, need a place to stash my M&P 45 Shield. Love the user-interfaces in the gauges, displays and NAV-radio. Bose speakers could sound better, though.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:20 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstrike

I decided to get 18" Cayman wheel which has more meaty tires. Rides a bit smoother than my low profile tires on my 2014 GLI Autobahn. Happy with Cayman 2.0T, has plenty of power. Porsche needs to improve on cup holders because coffee mug seems to slip off the cup holder when accerlating; also, need a place to stash my M&P 45 Shield. Love the user-interfaces in the gauges, displays and NAV-radio. Bose speakers could sound better, though.
My M&P 9mm in a lightweight holster fits just fine in the driver's door hinged compartment.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:01 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thunderstrike

Bose speakers sound "pretty good" - I need to try them with CD or directly from my phone because if all you're testing is from SiriusXM the bitrate is actually really low.

I was actually just shopping any "new" 718s in the country - the dealer was going to do a dealer trade for it. Of course, none of them had 18" wheels but I'm glad.. they looked too small for me. I actually wanted 20" wheels because they had better looking designs but overall I'm happy with 19" because of how cruddy Cleveland roads are.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:11 AM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
Bose speakers sound "pretty good" - I need to try them with CD or directly from my phone because if all you're testing is from SiriusXM the bitrate is actually really low.

I was actually just shopping any "new" 718s in the country - the dealer was going to do a dealer trade for it. Of course, none of them had 18" wheels but I'm glad.. they looked too small for me. I actually wanted 20" wheels because they had better looking designs but overall I'm happy with 19" because of how cruddy Cleveland roads are.
different strokes as they say. Interesting to hear your input. I have had my Cayman for over a year and have probably turned the stereo on twice.
Also, I think Porsches look much better with a normal size wheel and a little more meat to the tire. A car this small in my opinion looks perfect with a 17 or 18 inch wheel.
this trend of razor thin tires on giant wheels in my opinion just doesn't fit a small sports car .
Old 08-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Whitesheep
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That color combo is killer. What seats do you have? My sport plus fit me perfectly, but I am in my 50's with some extra padding and 5'6".

BTW an LCP fits nicely in the open door pocket. With the cargo net on then engine cover anything in a Wilderness holster is easy to get at and quite inconspicuous. I am still looking for lockable storage that doesn't involve the Frunk, but with no success.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:46 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Whitesheep
That color combo is killer. What seats do you have? My sport plus fit me perfectly, but I am in my 50's with some extra padding and 5'6".

BTW an LCP fits nicely in the open door pocket. With the cargo net on then engine cover anything in a Wilderness holster is easy to get at and quite inconspicuous. I am still looking for lockable storage that doesn't involve the Frunk, but with no success.
Just normal seats with Premium Package (not "plus")
I eventually either got used to them or found a perfect lumbar position - everything feels great now. I'm also 6'1" and skinny - I just sit at a computer all day so I need good lumbar support.

I mean, the glovebox is lockable if you detach "actual key" portion of your car key?
Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Whitesheep
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Porsche key fob prevents access to the "key." So much for design. Yes, I could take it off, but it looks cool.

It is interesting the options people choose as I would have thought with the other premium stuff you have you would have had power seats. Maybe some day I'll be able to buy one new and be faced with those decisions.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche - New 718