Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P0421 and the AOS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Code P0421 and the AOS

As I was dropping my '06 CS (32,500 miles) at the shop to have my internal engine track mods done the CEL came on, Code P0421, right bank catalytic converter. Tech found the original AOS appeared to be bad and that could have thrown some oil into the cat. Changed to a Motorsport AOS and so far after 70 miles no CEL so fingers crossed that the bad AOS was the problem.

EDIT - 10 miles later, at 80 miles, CEL back on, Actron OBD II scanner arriving today so I can see if it is the cat. Crap!

Last edited by jsabatini; 08-04-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:16 AM
matthew_brady
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been having the P0421 code intermittently as well. I swapped O2 sensors side to side, and no change, so I'm fairly certain the code is due to the CAT failing. Affordable CATs are available from Magnaflow (~$450, I think). Does seem a bit odd for it to fail at only 35k miles though.

Also, I have read on Planet-9 that early CS's had a more stringent threshold for cat warmup efficiency and this was relaxed a bit in later years. Supposedly you can get your ECU reflashed with an 07+ tune to have the more relaxed threshold. However, I talked with the Porsche dealer and they had never heard of this, so who knows...
Old 08-11-2017, 09:23 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Plan B: Called my other local shop and they mentioned this O2 Spacers for Catalytic Converters.

http://www.fabspeed.com/universal-90...ic-converters/

We've taken our O2 spacers a step further. The factory ECU compares the readings from a pair of oxygen sensors to measure the effectiveness of the catalysts. When a high-flow cat or catbypass pipe is used the exhaust gases reach the O2 sensor faster and uncleaned, leading to high chances to throw a CEL. Our O2 spacers retract the secondary oxygen sensors from the direct flow of gases, restoring the balance that the ECU requires when using aftermarket catalysts or catbypass pipes. The high quality built in catalysts scrub the exhaust to further reduce the chance of a CEL. Two fitting options and the two piece design allow for adjustment to get best possible fitment and results.
Taking Pepper to the shop later today to see if this gets rid of the code.

EDIT to add, ignore the link to the FabSpeed spacer above, go with the Soul Performance spacer and save over 60% for what looks identical.

https://soulpp.com/product/universal...tic-converter/

Last edited by jsabatini; 08-11-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:57 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

And the fun continues, curious to see if the CEL would come on again after the spacer install I took Pepper for a drive yesterday, and sure enough, at 80 miles since the last reset, CEL. This time codes P2196 and P2198, the O2 sensors in front of the cats. The spacers went on and moved the O2 sensors behind the cats, the O2 sensors in front of the cats were not touched.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:49 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Has now been over 80 miles since I last reset the CEL and no new CEL's???
Old 08-15-2017, 03:53 PM
matthew_brady
Intermediate

Give it time. If it is, in fact, the same issue as my car, it is often set off by slow, low-rpm driving and it can sometimes stay off for hundreds of miles before cropping up again.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:15 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Originally Posted by matthew_brady
Give it time. If it is, in fact, the same issue as my car, it is often set off by slow, low-rpm driving and it can sometimes stay off for hundreds of miles before cropping up again.
What is this 'slow, low-rpm driving' to which you refer?

More importantly, what is the issue your car has?

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2017, 04:18 PM
matthew_brady
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jsabatini
What is this 'slow, low-rpm driving' to which you refer?

More importantly, what is the issue your car has?

Thanks!
Usually 25mph speed traps around town...not too common, but pretty much a guarantee that it comes on in such a situation.

Well, I've swapped O2 sensors side to side (both fronts and rears), and the code did not switch sides, which leads me to believe the only thing left to replace is the cat. Since it's not a real issue, I've just let it be and keep clearing the code when it crops up.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by matthew_brady
However, I talked with the Porsche dealer and they had never heard of this, so who knows...
Doesn't the dealer ALWAYS say that, no matter what the issue?

... Germans.

Quick Reply: Code P0421 and the AOS