Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cayenne turbo s tps sensor going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:50 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default cayenne turbo s tps sensor going bad?

My 09 cayenne turbo s has been kinda crappy to drive lately. I feel like it has to do with the tps or pedal position sensor(not sure what porsche actually calls it). Most days it seems hesitant in the way that it doesnt know if to open throttle plate or not and it makes it kinda jerky to drive and feels slow as well as the shifts seems rougher. Some days it does great and feels fast, the shifts feel smoother and it just feels peppier and you feel like the pedal is more like a cable throttle. I know my trans isnt the best and I will probably do the valve body next year but it think the tps is making it seem worse than it is. Driving in sport mode eliminates the problem as it changes the pedal position to throttle plate movement ratio. I understand that it takes more pedal push in regular mode but my car seesm to be inconsistent. One takeoff is slow and sluggish and the next is peppy. just weird.

Anyone have any insight or replaced the pedal position sensor(whatever it is called)
Old 06-21-2017, 10:10 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dillon410021
My 09 cayenne turbo s has been kinda crappy to drive lately. I feel like it has to do with the tps or pedal position sensor(not sure what porsche actually calls it). Most days it seems hesitant in the way that it doesnt know if to open throttle plate or not and it makes it kinda jerky to drive and feels slow as well as the shifts seems rougher. Some days it does great and feels fast, the shifts feel smoother and it just feels peppier and you feel like the pedal is more like a cable throttle. I know my trans isnt the best and I will probably do the valve body next year but it think the tps is making it seem worse than it is. Driving in sport mode eliminates the problem as it changes the pedal position to throttle plate movement ratio. I understand that it takes more pedal push in regular mode but my car seesm to be inconsistent. One takeoff is slow and sluggish and the next is peppy. just weird.

Anyone have any insight or replaced the pedal position sensor(whatever it is called)
bump
Old 12-13-2020, 10:54 AM
chandanYOGI
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my cayenne S MIL lit up and the OBD scan reveled a P0120 code replated to this sensor. just wondering what to do next. taking it to nearest porsche 400 km away will nessceciate robbing a bank. alternative?
Old 12-13-2020, 01:47 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I responded too quickly. My original reply applies to the OP. Didn't realize this was a thread bump:

"Most likely a vacuum leak. Unfortunately what you've described is common for my 2006 CTT (different engine, but similar everything else). Once I find and remedy the vacuum leak, engine response and transmission behavior gets much more crisp. The challenge is finding the leak..."

Last edited by Brainz; 12-13-2020 at 01:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chandanYOGI (12-14-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 01:51 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chandanYOGI
my cayenne S MIL lit up and the OBD scan reveled a P0120 code replated to this sensor. just wondering what to do next. taking it to nearest porsche 400 km away will nessceciate robbing a bank. alternative?
You should consider replacing the throttle body. IIRC, the TPS is not separately available. Good news is that the throttle body is not difficult to replace and is not very expensive.
The following users liked this post:
chandanYOGI (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 07:53 AM
chandanYOGI
Advanced

so its not related to vacumme leak right. being a newbie to germans i dont have much idea about the system and common fault finding. hope to learn my way though the ownership . the throttle body has the TPS atatched to it an a loose connection or malfunction is 99 percent root of this, correct?
Old 12-15-2020, 12:21 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

If you are getting a TPS error, your issue is likely the throttle body.

If you don't have any errors like the OP, but your car has poor part-throttle response and odd shifting at low RPM and part throttle, you likely have a vacuum leak.

Trending Topics

Old 12-16-2020, 01:54 AM
chandanYOGI
Advanced

excuse the noob question. How the the vacuum system connected to ignition and engine system? i thought vacuum is for brakes mostly.

Quick Reply: cayenne turbo s tps sensor going bad?