Sponsored by:

Towing with a Manual 957?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:01 PM
lightngsvt
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Towing with a Manual 957?

Does the manual trans have the same tow rating and capacity as the Tiptronic version? Can tow package be added aftermarket and approx cost? Is it more than just the receiver (trans cooler, wiring, etc)?
Old 06-17-2017, 09:06 PM
dpatel710
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lightngsvt,
Here's the install sheet for a 955, it should be very similar for the 957. The search tool will be your friend to find more info.

Porsche Cayenne Tow System Install.pdf
Old 06-18-2017, 11:12 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

OEM Tow package or nothing. Definitely won't have the same tow rating with an aftermarket system.

The chassis dictates the tow rating, so it should be the same as the automatic equipped trucks. That said, its a whole lot easier to tow with the automatic trucks, especially if you're pulling something like a loaded car trailer, so ~4000lbs+.

A small trailer with motorcycles or something you won't really notice a difference between the two...
Old 06-18-2017, 12:04 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

When we started our research into purchasing a Cayenne, one of the 'musts' was towing.

We started with the Porsche Dealer to discuss this topic and were informed that Macan and Cayenne were very different from a towing capacity perspective and that the 'weak link' between the two vehicles in terms of towing capacity was the transmission. The Cayenne is not only much more robust in all areas, but especially in the transmission.

YMMV
Old 06-18-2017, 02:42 PM
lightngsvt
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the help, I searched and found alot of answers. I can add the oem receiver, wiring and controller so in theory it *should* be the same as if equipped from Porsche?

What I wasnt able to find was what is the difference between a standard and tow package Cayenne in terms suspension/springs, cooling, etc? I assume frame, trans, etc are the same regardless.

The reason for this question is I found a super clean, well maintained 08 locally, that is a V6/manual and the price is fair. When I really analyzed it, most of my towing will be probably 1500-2500lbs, with the occasional (maybe 4 times per year) tow of 4500-5000lbs.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:32 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can add the tow package. Cayennes with air suspension simply adjust for the load and run level. I do not know if the coil spring versions used something different w/without the package, it is likely top secret... I do not think there are upgrades to major systems for the tow package. I think the car is engineered for it regardless if it came with a hitch.

It will tow the lighter loads pretty well. It will be pretty slow with a 5000 lb load behind it. The V6 is a little light on oats to begin with and not what I would tow with personally.

I used to tow a 4000lb boat with my '04 S and loaded with people and gear it worked pretty good but handled great because it had the air suspension. In the winter I tow 1500 lbs up and down the mountains pretty regularly with an 08 CTT. The turbos actually make it a bit challenging in really nasty going because it is so easy to spin the tires.

I would hold out for a Cayenne S for sure, I think it is the sweet spot especially if you live at low elevation.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:43 PM
lightngsvt
Intermediate

I'm in Michigan so pretty close to sea level and pretty flat, or hilly at best. No mountains or serious grades here. There is an 11 S at a dealer not to far, it's in decent shape but not sure its worth their asking $ (the 08 is actually cleaner), but it also doesn't have factory tow pkg. The local selection of used Cayennes here seems pretty slim unless you're looking for something in the 2-3-year-old range but I'm not looking to spend $40-60k. The dealer I bought my Boxster from is more than willing to lease me a 2017 base for only $1k per month, LOL! Really wanting to stay closer to $20k.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:00 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should not have any problem finding a 957 S for under $20k. That money also buys a 955 turbo which will come with a lot more very nice equipment than a base or S.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:38 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

You can find 955 Turbos for $15k all day long. If you haven't bought a Cayenne yet, I strongly advise you to buy one with the tow package already installed from the factory as well as pick up a Turbo.

The "S's" have engine issues and the V6 has little power for towing.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM
lightngsvt
Intermediate

No, haven't bought one yet, but am/was very tempted on the manual truck. Wouldnt the Turbo suffer the same engine issues as the S? Don't they use the same engine minus the turbos in the S?
Old 06-19-2017, 12:02 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

For whatever reason the Turbo's don't have the cylinder wall scoring issues that the "S" motors have.

I drove a manual GTS before I bought my 955 Turbo S. I was all set to buy the GTS until I drove it. The shifter action is vague and up here at altitude where I live the GTS is a total DOG compared to the turbo.

Then towing with the Auto/turbo is so much better than the manual/NA V8 is, there's simply no comparison.

I thought the manual would be more involving and fun to drive but I didn't find that to be the case.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:57 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
For whatever reason the Turbo's don't have the cylinder wall scoring issues that the "S" motors have.
This is flat out wrong. The turbos also suffer from the cylinder wall scoring - there are just less of them on the market so the numbers reported are proportionally lower. The piston oil squirters may slightly help them, but they see harder miles making more power and heat.

If you want to fight me on this subject then talk to the several guys on this board who are currently rebuilding their turbo motors (both 955 and 957) due to cylinder scoring.

Only the V6 is safe.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:06 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Wow, calm down! Never seen a post here about cylinder wall scoring on the Turbos. Many of us have well into the 6 figures mileage wise on our 955 Turbos without issue.

That doesn't mean it can't happen, but it sure seems like the "S" is far more prone to it.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:41 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Calmer than you are, docwyte. I started on this thread knowing you would get your panties in a wad when correcting your misinformation. Here are a couple CTT 957 examples and 928 motorsports acknowledging 2 more in their shop:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-insights.html

More:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post13925120

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...manifolds.html

Old 06-22-2017, 09:55 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Not sure what I did to make you act so aggressively, but welcome to my ignore list! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Towing with a Manual 957?