Sponsored by:

Power steering fluid leak in '06 S

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 12:45 AM
Starbo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering fluid leak in '06 S

I've owned this thing for just under two weeks now and tonight the PS gave out!

it started with the "whine" and when I checked the fluid it was low and frothy. I added more and that seemed to help, and then I lost all power steering within a couple miles. I thought the pump had failed but when I got home I found the reservoir was empty. I added more fluid and then started the car, spun the wheel a couple times, and the reservoir was empty again.

I found the fluid under under the rear of the engine, passenger side, on the ground. I haven't gotten under it yet so hard to say if it's been leaking there the whole time or if it's due to the slant of the surface I parked on.

I've done some searches on here and sounds like maybe it's just the connection of the hose into the pump? If I need any replacement seals, are they dealer only parts? I kinda need to fix this this weekend.

Thanks all.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:11 AM
Starbo
Track Day

Here's a pic, taken while it was still dripping.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

From the photo, it's hard to tell whether or not the leak has originated from the pump or from your steering rack.

To determine whether or not your rack is leaking, try squeezing the rubber bellows or lightly prying the bellow edge from the connection point in order to observe any fluid escaping.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:51 PM
Starbo
Track Day

Originally Posted by Andy E.
From the photo, it's hard to tell whether or not the leak has originated from the pump or from your steering rack.

To determine whether or not your rack is leaking, try squeezing the rubber bellows or lightly prying the bellow edge from the connection point in order to observe any fluid escaping.
When I was taking the picture I fiddled with the bellow and it seemed there was some fluid trapped in there.

Am I better off replacing the seals or the whole rack? Either one seems like a big job to do myself.

I assume there's no harm to the car to drive it like this until I get the parts to do the work?
Old 06-17-2017, 03:53 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

The seals are not available for purchase as a separate component. In addition, special tools and machining operations are required to properly rebuild a steering rack.

Most of the Rennlist site vendors such as Pelican and ECS sell new or rebuilt steering racks. Vertex Auto out of Miami also carries them.

Yes, this is far from a DIY as you will also require a wheel alignment afterwards.

Yes, you stand a high chance of destroying your pump by running it dry.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:41 PM
Starbo
Track Day

I spoke with the dealer who sold me the car and he referred me to his mechanic.

The mechanic confirmed it's the rack, he'll let me know Monday my costs. The dealer is allowing the job to happen at his dealer cost, which I'll have to pay. I intend to talk to him about sharing the cost.

Ugh.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

At least the dealer showed some good faith. Rebuilt steering racks sell for about $1K however, it's the labor costs that are the killer. Hope everything works out!
Old 06-20-2017, 01:40 PM
Starbo
Track Day

Rebuilt rack was sourced locally for $350. Labor is 3 hours at $100/hr.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:58 AM
zagamuffin
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

At least the dealer showed some good faith. Rebuilt steering racks sell for about $1K however, it's the labor costs that are the killer. Hope everything works out!
doesn’t sound like a great deal as car only bought two weeks earlier , dealer should have stood over entire job
Old 02-07-2021, 09:10 AM
zagamuffin
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

doesn’t sound like a great deal as car only bought two weeks earlier , dealer should have stood over entire job surly

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid leak in '06 S