Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

955 vs 957?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:47 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I've had both 955 and 957 (on my second one 957). My experience reliability-wise favors 957 by a large margin. I sold my 955 before warranty expiration. It almost soured me on Porsches after having over 15 of them. Good thing I gave the 957s a chance. I currently have a GTS out of warranty and I remain unconvinced to change to a 958 which I don't prefer styling-wise; hence, the 957 GTS stays.

If you like the 955s, there are likely some out there that have been sorted by enthusiasts by now. I do prefer the 957 GTS styling the best. It has also been reliable for me - knock on wood.

Regarding turbo versus NA, I prefer the NA GTS:

-First, I despise turbo lag and prefer the quicker, more linear response of the GTS' na engine (not too dissimilar to preferring a 997 GT3 engine versus a 997 TT engine).

-Second, I like the more balanced handling of the GTS with less weight in front; I think the GTS is about 300 lbs lighter IIRC. While TTs ultimately have higher speed, the GTS' speed is sufficient enough for me on public US roads and handles better IMO. If I want to go faster, I'll take other cars to the track.

-For the long term owner, while routine maintenance may be the same, I've wondered that perhaps more heat generation in the engine compartment may eventually cause more plastics needing to be replaced down the road. This is just conjecture on my part, but we'll see. The former engineer in me would say that more moving parts at higher limits equates to more things to go wrong. Having said this, there's a few really high mile 955 TTs on this forum, though I'm not sure how many parts have been replaced.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:09 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned 955s and loved it except for 3/4s of the subjects on this board

By far the best was 957 TT. Fast is fast

958 Diesel, loved it

958 1/2 S Hybrid, Love it right now
Old 06-18-2017, 02:32 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
Clearly not lunacy if it sold that quickly out from under him. Many of us are not stuck on your low ball numbers and are willing to pay thousands above book for a well kept specimen.
I'll agree to disagree that a 2006 Cayenne S is worth $17K. I too have no problem paying more money for the right car, and am not trying to start fights or be a "low baller", have just been closely attuned to the market for a while. I think the OP dodged a bullet not buying a normally aspirated Cayenne S for $17K [again, assuming this was NOT a TurboS]. I also agree with other posters to punt for the TT/TTS considering it's so much more for not much more coin these days.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:52 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ventoGT
I'll agree to disagree that a 2006 Cayenne S is worth $17K. I too have no problem paying more money for the right car, and am not trying to start fights or be a "low baller", have just been closely attuned to the market for a while. I think the OP dodged a bullet not buying a normally aspirated Cayenne S for $17K [again, assuming this was NOT a TurboS]. I also agree with other posters to punt for the TT/TTS considering it's so much more for not much more coin these days.
There is nothing to agree or disagree upon here. It is a fact that this particular specimen was worth the asking price (or near it) since the thing sold out from under the OP. The buyer didn't know or care what you think the car is worth. It is impossible to put hard numbers on any 10+ year old Porsche - the Cayenne included. These things were built with pretty diverse options and have served equally diverse duties over their service lives.

No amount of 'research' you have done or comparisons of Manheim auction numbers makes any difference in the end if there are people who are willing to pay premiums for used premium cars that have been well kept or optioned how they would have liked to order them. The board has proven those buyers exist.

Quick Reply: 955 vs 957?