Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky bath tub

Old 05-22-2017, 07:58 PM
Guy diamond
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky bath tub

OK so I'm at wits end now I spent 15 yrs driving alfa romeos and loving their little Ish foibles.. So decided on some quality with no hassles to go Into my 40s In style... And now own my first German v8 bruiser a 2006 955 S.fpsh..i love it but...
  • The air suspension is faulty (broken sensor now sorted)
  • The expansion tank went pop (checked for alloy upgrade and it's done so replaced.tank)
  • The battery died (£145!!)
  • ​​​​​​The screen washers leak like a sieve (that can wait) guessing it's the light washers split etc etc
And that's for starters OK so I'm used to crap build quality and get over these not wanted and annoying niggles I thought I wouldn't have...
But this is the help me bit..
The cars full of water I mean swimming!! Both sides of the front wells..
No the drains aren't blocked in the front bulk heads done that... And all 6 drain holes in the sills are empty.. Best guess and last is the sunroof but pouring water to check the drains and the water drops out the bottom of the car as it should..?
All door seals are new or seated as should..
So I give up and after I keep drying the Footwells even a small rain shower and it's back?? What's next aaargh...
Can anyone suggest something to help me from suggesting setting fire to it.. Which would be a small fire as the fuel tank is always empty
Old 05-22-2017, 08:12 PM
alex.rhodes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the A/C leaking into the footwells?
Old 05-22-2017, 08:27 PM
Guy diamond
3rd Gear

today was the first day it was warm enough to use the ac so I leave it off for that precious mpg gain pahhh! but I will have a looksy at where the drain exits are for it who knows?? . Cheers for that any other ideas??? it's crazy a premium car that acts like a 15yr old 156.. Or have I stumbled into a lemon 🍋..
Old 05-22-2017, 08:33 PM
alex.rhodes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently found that sometimes when it rains I get water in the driver's side rear footwell, but it is not coming from the sunroof. I think mine might be a door seal, but I have not had a chance to test it yet.

Alex
Old 05-23-2017, 05:43 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

This is painful but it WILL reveal where the problem is coming from... dry the car, cover some major area with plastic, say from the top of the windscreen to the back, well behind the sunroof. You can use blue painter's tape to stick the inexpensive thin plastic sheeting to the car. If the interior collects water in the rain, you know the source is below the roof. Dry the car again and cover a different area, say from the base of the windscreen forward to cover the front wheel openings. If water still gets into the car, dry it again and cover the front doors completely (both sides) with the plastic and tape. If water still gets in, maybe try completely covering the windscreen just in case the seal is leaking somewhere, but that's not a common issue with the way these windscreens are installed.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:11 AM
Guy diamond
3rd Gear

I will try the find it method as with any where I. The UK would t be long before it rains and shows all
Many thanks.. Like I said it's crazy the car isn't even 10yrs old yet.. And it shouldn't be doing this I'm sure...
Old 05-23-2017, 11:20 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

The problem areas I've noticed are:

Cowl drains for the space under the wiper arms, accessed by removing the fender liner then removing the star shaped rubber grommet and flushing from above.

Rear hatch hinge drains. Remove the black plastic cover where the hinge enters the roof. There is a small slot that water drains from inside/under the roof skin, then down and out through these drains.

A/C drain. Remove the cabin filter and blow out the drain pipe that connects to the bottom of it. There is also a drain just behind the rear wheels if you have four-zone A/C.

Lastly, sunroof drains run down the A and D pillars. It's possible that one of the connections is leaking. Or the outlet at the bottom is clogged. I can't remember where the front drains to, but the rear drains are just behind the rear tires above the exhaust.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:36 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...e-flooded.html
Old 05-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,125 Likes on 3,901 Posts

After following a number of these threads about water inside the Cayenne cabin, I decided that while the body shop has a lot of my car apart for the widebody conversion that it would be really easy to take a look at some of these drains everyone has been talking about. I'm trying to address anything that might be a future failure point while this body project is going on so the car is as trouble-free as possible once I put it back on the road.

I pulled the star mouth off the passenger side cowl drain and everything looked fine. Went over to the drivers side and did the same thing, and what was trapped in there was a ton of leaves and junk. This project has been going on for so long that all the junk was completely dry, but I bet it would have only been a matter of time before I had an issue with the junk causing water to back up into the cabin. I removed and star mouth grommet and and am leaving them off as this Cayenne will never be fording a river with the hopes that the larger pieces of junk that end up in there will not be able to get out much easier.

Here's a pic of the hole (next to the purple hose) where that star mouth or birds mouth drain grommet goes (same place on the other side) and then a pic of the junk I was able to break-up and pull out with my finger. These holes are behind the inner fender liner at the backside of the front wheels.

I also found the rear drains above the exhaust system and squished them around to see if there was any crackly stuff in the rubber ends and didn't feel any. I'll put a wire or some air through these, the front sunroof drains, and the A/C condenser drain once I get the car back.

I've also read that there are 3 rubber grommets / drains on each side near the rocker panel, but even with the rockers removed from the car couldn't locate them. Are these on the 958s only or also on the 955s & 957s. If on the older cars can someone post a picture of where and what these look like.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:53 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I've also read that there are 3 rubber grommets / drains on each side near the rocker panel, but even with the rockers removed from the car couldn't locate them. Are these on the 958s only or also on the 955s & 957s. If on the older cars can someone post a picture of where and what these look like.

Thanks.
Pete, they are on the 955/7 and are a littler larger than a silver dollar. Look directly below the door sills. The front two have little drain holes in them that can get clogged. Just pry them loose with a screw driver and they will pop back in. If you find water in the rear two on each side it is a sign that you have a leak somewhere up higher in the sunroof, rack bolts, or door/tailgate seals as there should not normally be water in there. I just found a bit of water in my RR, so I am now on the hunt and will start with the right side roof rack track since there was no water on the other side. Good to check every year so you can avoid damage by catching a leak early.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,125 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
Pete, they are on the 955/7 and are a littler larger than a silver dollar. Look directly below the door sills. The front two have little drain holes in them that can get clogged. Just pry them loose with a screw driver and they will pop back in. If you find water in the rear two on each side it is a sign that you have a leak somewhere up higher in the sunroof, rack bolts, or door/tailgate seals as there should not normally be water in there. I just found a bit of water in my RR, so I am now on the hunt and will start with the right side roof rack track since there was no water on the other side. Good to check every year so you can avoid damage by catching a leak early.
Anything shown here what you're talking about or are tehy larger, firmer black circles that look more like plugs on the underside running along the length of the sides (sorry, no pic of those handy)? Thanks.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:12 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, the larger plug looking things that are underneath. You have to look up from the bottom and they are facing straight towards the ground.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaky bath tub