Sponsored by:

Calibrating 955 Air Ride Height - Need SME Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 01:43 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Calibrating 955 Air Ride Height - Need SME Help

I'd had an intermittent suspension idiot light that finally became consistent last fall. Isolated to right front, eliminated sensor as possibility, finally narrowed in on the little actuator that the sensor gets data from. Replaced with used, and is working. But we cannot calibrate the ride height. We have a local top end porsche shop trying to figure this out as well. Apparently there are a whole set of criteria that have to be met for it to work. We thought it might be the lack of working TPMS sensors so I replaced those. That was a pretty penny, and at least I now have working TPMS sensors but that didn't solve our problem. So for an expert, what are the conditions that must be met to calibrate the air suspension on a 2006 Cayenne TTS? Big thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:38 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Calibration must be carried out of the control unit and/or level sensors are replaced. When doing this, the level sensors are calibrated by determining a correction value (corresponding to the actual height of the vehicle) and permanently storing it in the control unit.

- Prior to calibration, the normal level must be adjusted.
- Ensure tire pressure has been adjusted according to respective tire specifications.
- During calibration, the vehicle is raised and lowered.
- When engine is running, turn air extraction system on.
- The safety code is displayed in the porsche system tester under menu>>level control>> actual values

The nominal values for the nominal heights of the level sensors are stored in the control unit. The actual values of the respective axle heights, front left, front right, rear left, rear right, have to be measured manually and then entered with the Porsche System tester. The actual values are to be measured on the two axle supports (front axle, rear axle), both on the right and left.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:39 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

All that said, I still can't get it to calibrate. We think the ride height sensor is at fault. I'd love some expert opinions. I really would. We get one corner calibrated usually, once in a while both fronts, and then it errs. Tried to program the sensor and sensor says cannot be programmed. Planning next to buy a used unit on ebay, 1/10th the cost of new. New is over a grand.

Love some feedback.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

When u say err, what does that entail? The FSM states that if the value is not accepted then it should be re-entered until it is. Maybe try coding the current control unit first and then re-calibrate?

I recently helped a member on here calibrate their 2004 CT after they replaced the CU and the process went flawlessly even though the CU was purchased used and never coded to the patient CT. The suspension error was eliminated and we got the CT sitting right. The original CU was toast. However, even though the suspension is great and go's up and down through all the levels, it never says "special terrain level reached" even though the suspension is clearly at that level. All the other levels reach and confirm. Nowhere in the FSM does it state that a new CU must be coded first. We are going to try coding the CU first and then re calibrating.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:51 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
When u say err, what does that entail? The FSM states that if the value is not accepted then it should be re-entered until it is. Maybe try coding the current control unit first and then re-calibrate?

I recently helped a member on here calibrate their 2004 CT after they replaced the CU and the process went flawlessly even though the CU was purchased used and never coded to the patient CT. The suspension error was eliminated and we got the CT sitting right. The original CU was toast. However, even though the suspension is great and go's up and down through all the levels, it never says "special terrain level reached" even though the suspension is clearly at that level. All the other levels reach and confirm. Nowhere in the FSM does it state that a new CU must be coded first. We are going to try coding the CU first and then re calibrating.
Just says "function terminated". We've tried coding the unit and it just says "can't be coded" for some reason.

Any suggestions where to go looking for a used control unit? I'm coming up with part number 95561830142 but I'm leery of buying used when I'm not 100% confident I have the correct part or even the problem correctly identified.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:38 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Any of the Porsche dealers can help with the correct part #. I know in our situation the donor CU was picked up off Ebay. I do not know the part # that was purchased and since it is not 100% I can't recommend that you follow that route. Maybe try swapping sensors around and see if the problem follows a specific sensor? There are some other functions in the PIWIS menu for the LCU that can be activated. Maybe try a bleed or fill ,etc. and make sure you have good communication with the LCU. Try clearing all the fault memory before starting the calibration process.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:04 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Any of the Porsche dealers can help with the correct part #. I know in our situation the donor CU was picked up off Ebay. I do not know the part # that was purchased and since it is not 100% I can't recommend that you follow that route. Maybe try swapping sensors around and see if the problem follows a specific sensor? There are some other functions in the PIWIS menu for the LCU that can be activated. Maybe try a bleed or fill ,etc. and make sure you have good communication with the LCU. Try clearing all the fault memory before starting the calibration process.
Just called my local Porsche dealer, not my favorite place and this experience was no different. Guy was a dick, but in and amongst the condescending overtones I gleaned that he seemed to think there are TWO control units for the suspension, front and back. This doesn't make sense to me, since I got a quote from Suncoast on a single part yesterday and have a request into Sonnen for the same part. They told ME there was a single part. Do you think there are one or two? Keeping in mind, this same porsche dealer told me I had a bad strut that would cost me $4k to replace when in fact I needed upper and lower control arms. I don't expect you to say there are two, but just due diligence.

Calling Sunset now.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:53 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

You're correct, there is only one.
Sonnen has the BEST prices right now. I would know, I have ordered over 5k in parts from them during the last 45 days.
Never talk to that dealer again and put them on blast publicly. (Google, yelp, yahoo....)
Old 05-23-2017, 04:37 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

You're correct, there is only one.
Sonnen has the BEST prices right now. I would know, I have ordered over 5k in parts from them during the last 45 days.
Never talk to that dealer again and put them on blast publicly. (Google, yelp, yahoo....)
I really don't know why I called them. I know better. It was really just to confirm the part number, but I know from several experiences over the last few years that they're not even competent, can't be trusted. Looking @ $620 or so from either Sunset or Sonnen for the part new, now need to find used if I can.

Here's all the parameters from my mechanic's diag tool, FWIW. Not sure of any use. I ran your suggestions by him. There were no other codes besides the ride height needing calibrated. We know the sensors are working. All of this started with one bad actuator on the front right so we've already isolated and replaced the one bad part and now just need to calibrate, and can't.

Diagnosis software number 1001
Programmable control unit no
Program and data status 3283
Importer number 0
Workshop number 272
System designation luftfdr.-cdc-3c3p1
Flash tool code .1528-0091.20
Flash fate c3232182
Hardware assembly 300
Hardware grades index 03
Software assembly 52a
Software grades key 04
Old 05-23-2017, 04:47 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Is this a PIWIS that your mechanic is using? Dont quote me but I think the tts coding is different than the tt, and possibly the CU itself. Did you have to read out under "actual values" and enter the security code prior to calibration?
Old 05-23-2017, 05:12 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Is this a PIWIS that your mechanic is using? Dont quote me but I think the tts coding is different than the tt, and possibly the CU itself. Did you have to read out under "actual values" and enter the security code prior to calibration?
Autel Maxisys. And no, didn't have to enter the values prior. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:16 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Here are some screenshots from the PIWIS 1.
There is enough information here to run through all the components relating to level control. Of course as you can see the tester is only in simulation mode.
​​​​​​​
When in simulation on my bench I dont even have a cable hooked up so of course it displays "control module not codeable" which makes me think that its not seeing your CU or the canbus is timing out. Do you have the igition on during the process and a battery charger of @ least 40a hooked up? This is mandatory. Also, turning the hazards on will keep the can bus awake.

Level control menu
Level control menu
Actual values menu
Actual values menu
Actual values menu

​​​​​​​
Old 05-23-2017, 05:20 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

On the PIWIS you go to Actual values and then to security code. On the security code screen there is a 4 digit pin. The 4 digit pin is required to be entered upon commencement of calibration. I feel like @ this point your cheapest and first option should be to find someone with a PIWIS and attempt calibration.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:24 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

This is great. Thank you. Will do.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:06 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Your welcome. Keep us updated. Looking through my release notes in the PIWIS, the turbo s, e81 powerkit have differrent level CU coding than all the others. As a prerequisite, the vehicle must have either the s or e81 dme coding before the level CU can be coded accordingly. This means you cant code s or e81level control to a normal turbo, gts, or regular non turbo.

Quick Reply: Calibrating 955 Air Ride Height - Need SME Help