Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSM Failures and what causes the module to shut down

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 08:55 PM
Orantes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the easy option and changed my battery (it was several years old anyway). I congratulated myself on such an easy fix for my PSM problems....that is, until the PSM light came back on after about 40 minutes of driving!

I've been getting a few errors:

P0102 Mass or volume flow circuit
P2222 Throttle actuator system sudden air flow detected
1314 DME

There are no visible issues between MAF and throttle body and / or electrical connections. Maybe a bad MAF? I have cleaned throttle body, no changes.

Tony Masters
2004 CS
Old 06-23-2017, 09:30 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Well it has been basically a month for me, and no PSM errors!

So this may be a voltage load thing in my case, or it could still be a symptom.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:34 AM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Orantes
I took the easy option and changed my battery (it was several years old anyway). I congratulated myself on such an easy fix for my PSM problems....that is, until the PSM light came back on after about 40 minutes of driving!

I've been getting a few errors:

1314 DME

There are no visible issues between MAF and throttle body and / or electrical connections. Maybe a bad MAF? I have cleaned throttle body, no changes.

Tony Masters
2004 CS
I have forgotten most of my research already, isn't a maf failure considered a reason to trigger PSM?

The last code is problems talking to the DME, but it does sound like you are having a problem with the actuator not working. There are ways to test the range and motion of the actuator with an output test.

Does it happen when you take your foot off the gas? The PSM error?
Old 06-24-2017, 09:46 AM
Orantes
Racer

Originally Posted by touareg
I have forgotten most of my research already, isn't a maf failure considered a reason to trigger PSM?

Does it happen when you take your foot off the gas? The PSM error?
I have noticed the PSM error occurs in very slow traffic, nearly standstill. I would say little or no gas.

Congrats on your month with the error. Must be a relief to rid yourself of that annoyance!
Old 06-24-2017, 10:38 AM
touareg
Drifting

In this case, it really does sound like your codes are telling the truth!

I am not counting my chickens yet, gonna wait till a few more months pass, I drive my car nearly everyday, so we will see.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:20 PM
Orantes
Racer

PSM warning...

1314 DME

I checked the MAF "actual values" (graphically) whist running the Durametric. It seems there is a strong / similar signal coming from both left and right MAF. When I blip the throttle, both the left and right MAF respond so I'm thinking there is probably no problem there.

However, there does not seem to be any data available when I select "throttle angle actual value"...nothing, zero, zip. In fact, there is no data coming from the throttle at all. So does this mean I chuck away the throttle body and buy a new one....or is there something else that I am missing? I've become a bit hesitant about changing out parts without exploring obvious possibilities.

The throttle electrical connector is tight. Is the PSM connector behind the DME (referred to earlier) a direct run to the throttle body (I have no schematics to check)? Could there be a connector elsewhere that is an issue?

Last edited by Orantes; 07-03-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:22 AM
Orantes
Racer

I just thought I'd follow up my final posts regarding my constant PSM errors for anyone who's interested. These errors have occurred everytime I've driven the vehicle (sometimes not immediately) for many months.

I had the opportunity to purchase 2 x second hand MAFS at a very, very cheap price from a wrecker. They had been stored indoors. I had nothing to loose but a few bucks.

I received these old MAFS in the post and they looked really beaten up........I wasn't very confident that they'd even function.

Installed both MAFS regardless........and OMG, no more PSM errors. It's been a week so far. That's massive for my truck. I am still praying that these beaten up old MAFS are my saviour. They certainly look the goods so far.

My driving experience has been transformed. Hell, I even washed the Cayenne today for the first time in months. Can't believe I've waited so long to change these bloody things out.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:31 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Orantes
I just thought I'd follow up my final posts regarding my constant PSM errors for anyone who's interested. These errors have occurred everytime I've driven the vehicle (sometimes not immediately) for many months.

I had the opportunity to purchase 2 x second hand MAFS at a very, very cheap price from a wrecker. They had been stored indoors. I had nothing to loose but a few bucks.

I received these old MAFS in the post and they looked really beaten up........I wasn't very confident that they'd even function.

Installed both MAFS regardless........and OMG, no more PSM errors. It's been a week so far. That's massive for my truck. I am still praying that these beaten up old MAFS are my saviour. They certainly look the goods so far.

My driving experience has been transformed. Hell, I even washed the Cayenne today for the first time in months. Can't believe I've waited so long to change these bloody things out.
Great to hear! My PSM errors are no more either after I removed the circuit from the fuse box.

Also on another note, my coolant sensor must have had a slow death, after replacing it the car feels like when I bought it years ago, I can't believe how much power was lost by the engine messing with the fuel.

So I know how that feels.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:03 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
Great to hear! My PSM errors are no more either after I removed the circuit from the fuse box.

Also on another note, my coolant sensor must have had a slow death, after replacing it the car feels like when I bought it years ago, I can't believe how much power was lost by the engine messing with the fuel.

So I know how that feels.

thank you very much for the load of helpful info you provide here. May I ask you please, what's the relation between your temp sensor and the way how your engine is performing? Thank you
Old 10-09-2019, 04:57 AM
hakan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handbrake switch

Hi all,
can you tell me if the hanbrake switch will cause a PSM failure ?
thanks
Old 06-24-2021, 04:46 PM
kiddhardware
Rennlist Member

Looking to resurrect this thread for input on PSM troubleshooting. You guys seem knowledgeable. Before I go into much detail, I'll start with the topic. I'm having issues connecting to PSM using iCarsoft Por II ODB reader. I either get an error connecting to ECU or when it does connect and I try to read codes, the ODB reader powers off and restarts. I'm investigating poor engine performance but am not getting any codes. I've also had battery issues where the battery died several times before I replaced it last week. The battery was out for a bit and I would think power loss to ECU and other devices would force a reboot.

I don't have any dash lights indicating there is a problem and I could use some leads.

2009 Cayenne 957 GTS.

Thanks,
Shane Russell
Greater Seattle Area

The following users liked this post:
rwkoilpaint958 (11-26-2023)

Quick Reply: PSM Failures and what causes the module to shut down