Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the Cayenne sound like a big rig diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 08:42 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Why does the Cayenne sound like a big rig diesel?

Come on, you guys got to hear it too. Why the hell does my CTT sound like a diesel truck when you take off? Not the clanging sound of a diesel but that high volume surge type sound when you really hit the gas kind of "grrrrrrrrr" sound instead of the roar type sound you get with other V8's.

First V8 I've ever had that sounded like this and hope I'm not crazy or something is wrong with my CTT. Always remember the first time I started one up and thought "WTF is wrong with this thing????"
Old 04-29-2017, 09:22 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by uphoto
Why the hell does my CTT sound like a diesel truck when you take off?
You sure you got a turbo under the hood???
Old 04-29-2017, 11:16 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Why the hell does my CTT sound like a diesel truck when you take off?
Mine sounds like an extremely high-performance twin turbo V8. It sure as hell doesn't sound like a diesel truck. You should get yours looked at and make sure that there is nothing amiss.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 04-29-2017, 11:51 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My diesel does not even sound like a diesel.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:02 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Agree with other posts, something is amiss in your car... exhaust pipe leak, maybe exhaust manifold leak at cylinder head, possible turbo failure (does the boost gauge work normally?), maybe even some kind of vacuum leak, something wrong with catalyst or muffler (baffle(s) loose inside causing unusual and possibly partially blocked "flow" through), a previous owner installed a K&N or other "performance" air filter that produces more/different intake noise... quite a few possibilities. A good start would be to determine if sound is odd from underhood or from tail pipes or both.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:27 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Everyone can take video on their phones these days. Take one and post it, we can tell you if it is typical or not.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:21 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,637 Posts

My wife called me the other day and said it sounded like my car was having problems as it didn't sound right.

I told her to stab the gas and it all goes away. There's a lot going on under the hood. It's not going to sound like a NA V8. Not at all. Turbo's turning and you may hear a little bearing sound. If you have PDCC, then add another sound to the mix. When you hit the gas, the whoosh sounds is the air pushing through the turbos. It's a muffled sound and it's normal.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:39 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on, you guys got to hear it too. Why the hell does my CTT sound like a diesel truck when you take off? Not the clanging sound of a diesel but that high volume surge type sound when you really hit the gas kind of "grrrrrrrrr" sound instead of the roar type sound you get with other V8's.

First V8 I've ever had that sounded like this and hope I'm not crazy or something is wrong with my CTT. Always remember the first time I started one up and thought "WTF is wrong with this thing????"
If you ever think your car is sounding abnormal get it checked out rather than wondering wtf.

Last edited by tjrob2000; 05-02-2017 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Changes to message.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:33 PM
uphoto
Pro

I'll post a video when I'm done traveling but I'm really surprised people have never noticed. Every one I've been in are incredibly loud with fans and not a sexy sound when inside the car.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:51 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine sounds like a great running twin turbo v8.

Are you talking about the whine of the air pumps on cold start or the spool of the turbos under boost?

It is entirely possible you have an issue like a whining power steering pump or something of that nature. Record the sound with your phone and we can tell you if it sounds good or not.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:28 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,637 Posts

I agree, it's not a sexy sounding car until you stab the gas. However, my other car is a V8 audi and a flat 6, so this is the least sexy sounding car I have.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:44 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

An aftermarket exhaust can change that. On my CTT I have a Fabspeed exhaust the barks when you start it up and sounds so nice when mashing on the throttle. My CTT sounds as mean and angry as it's performance figures state it is - love it!
Old 05-05-2017, 01:04 PM
uphoto
Pro

Originally Posted by fpena944
An aftermarket exhaust can change that. On my CTT I have a Fabspeed exhaust the barks when you start it up and sounds so nice when mashing on the throttle. My CTT sounds as mean and angry as it's performance figures state it is - love it!
Been giving that some thought.

Here is mine from the engine bay but inside the car all you here is that loud fan at startup and a car that sounds like a large hoover more than a 500hp beast.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:26 PM
alex.rhodes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like injector noise and the PDCC pump. It's not a sexy noise for sure, but once you step on it the sound gets going.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:51 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have to say.. When my 928 turns on and is even just idling - it gives me a great tingly feeling.

When the CTTS turns on, it sounds very similar to uphoto's video. I've parked it next to a Kia Sorento of the same year, and that upstaged it with a more impressive engine/exhaust note. Driving it around the city.. Most of the time, I'll turn up the music to drown out the drone... Even when the engine is revving it doesn't really have any excitement to it. There's no theatrical 'woosh' from the turbos or crackles or burbles from the exhaust... Its just the annoying clattering from the engine and droning from the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Why does the Cayenne sound like a big rig diesel?