Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the Cayenne sound like a big rig diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 03:51 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Modern diesels have super high fuel pressure, loud injectors, electronic gizmos, belt noise, and valve train clatter. So do Porsche V8's - especially the DFI ones. Install an open exhaust from the cats back and listen to the racket a newer M3 makes - you will be happy then with the cayenne's noise. :-)
Old 05-06-2017, 12:05 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by NelaK
I have to say.. When my 928 turns on and is even just idling - it gives me a great tingly feeling.

When the CTTS turns on, it sounds very similar to uphoto's video. I've parked it next to a Kia Sorento of the same year, and that upstaged it with a more impressive engine/exhaust note. Driving it around the city.. Most of the time, I'll turn up the music to drown out the drone... Even when the engine is revving it doesn't really have any excitement to it. There's no theatrical 'woosh' from the turbos or crackles or burbles from the exhaust... Its just the annoying clattering from the engine and droning from the exhaust.
Exactly.

I love this vehicle but unless you are really on the accelerator the engine noise is not sexy at all. All the more reason to get on it!
Old 05-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Those of you not happy with your Cayenne turbo sound need to do some exhaust work. If you want just a little more sound when revving or on the accelerator, but the same silence when highway cruising at light throttle, then do the secondary cat bypass pipes from your favorite vendor (Fabspeed, HHR, etc)

If you want more still, like deeper tone and some cracks and pops on run-out, change the muffler. I'm using this cargraphic one.

If you want to add some intake sound, including turbo whistle, go to a more open intake. I'm using an HHR one with K&N Hydrophobic pre-filter covers on them and an IPD plenum for improved flow and so I don't have to deal with cracks in the plastic one in the future.

Brief sound clip of my end result is attached here:
Old 05-07-2017, 12:31 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

That's a great sounding car, Petza. I was thinking about getting the full Fabspeed setup - unfortunately the nearly $10k CAD for the setup (installed) is a little more than what I can justify spending on the Cayenne. That same 10k could mean a new interior for the 928, or a new paint job, or some other major project in the engine bay. Its a much better return on... 'Investment'?

I'll just have to settle for mashing the throttle harder.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by NelaK
That's a great sounding car, Petza. I was thinking about getting the full Fabspeed setup - unfortunately the nearly $10k CAD for the setup (installed) is a little more than what I can justify spending on the Cayenne. That same 10k could mean a new interior for the 928, or a new paint job, or some other major project in the engine bay. Its a much better return on... 'Investment'?

I'll just have to settle for mashing the throttle harder.
Thanks a lot. Just keep your eyes on the Marketplace. The only piece of that setup I purchased new was the Cargraphic Muffler and did it when Mike at RSS was offering it at a major discount. Both the cat bypass pipes and HHR intake I bought used. It's amazing what you can do on used Fabspeed stuff with a little sharkhide polish & patience.

Quick Reply: Why does the Cayenne sound like a big rig diesel?