Sponsored by:

Air Suspension Sorting--The Struggle is Real

Old 04-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension Sorting--The Struggle is Real

Good afternoon,

I'm the excited new owner of an '04 CTT, Lapis Blue Metallic with Havana Sand Beige interior (intro pictures below--more to follow when this issue is fixed and I can wash, clay, wax, etc.).

I love the thing and it's great to drive except I've been trying to sort the "Suspension Faulty Workshop" error since I got it. While by all appearances the suspension was operating fine, it did seem to take some time to adjust height. I figured it would be a compressor rebuild issue and then it would return to normal speed. This worked as it did reach the appointed level more quickly.

The problem was that the error was still showing. I threw up my hands and took it to my mechanic to pull the code and see if he could figure it out. He pulled the code:

I think he also tried to reset everything. When he did that, the right rear was not syncing with the rest of the car. He said that he reset it again and everything was working fine (except the "Suspension Faulty Workshop" error still showed). Everything *could* be working fine (it seems to be) but it is now sitting like a racked '69 Camaro:

This is at one level below normal height.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here. My mechanic was kind enough to not charge for doing the initial diagnostic work but I want to try and figure out what needs to be done before I start having him incur costs trying to fix. I'm hoping that these issues (or issue if it is related) are a straightforward, easy fix that one or more of you have sorted before.

Thanks for reading and for any insight.

(note that I posted the fault code question in two other threads where people had the same issue but no resolution was posted).
Old 04-25-2017, 10:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I think the initial mistake - not finding out why the compressor went south. Apparently - if there is a leak in the system - the compressor will run an inordinate amount of time attempting to level out the system. That eventually causes the compressor to fail. So far - from memory - in every case I've read about someone having a compressor fail - a few posts later in the thread they describe how a leak or faulty valve was found and replaced and now things are working just fine.

If it was me - I'd be looking for a leak.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Vandalizer
Advanced

I haven't found any leaks. Even over 2-3 days, the suspension stays in place.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:03 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Leveling sensor failed?

I don't know much about Cayenne air suspension but Mercedes air suspension has the basic parts to function properly following:
Compressor
Valve block
Air lines
Leveling sensor
Old 04-26-2017, 05:24 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Here is how it would sit when I acquired it. Could be the leveling sensor I suppose if that is tied to the fault that showed up. If it's not, I would think it would trigger its own fault. I'll try and clean the connectors this weekend to see if that makes a difference.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:36 AM
GDA
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

You will want to check for a failed leveling sensor, bent or broken leveling sensor arm and also check to ensure each leveling sensor is properly attached.

FWIW, while doing front upper suspension arms I was able to initially bolt on a leveling sensor clocked out of position about 30 degrees and my CTT sat 3 legged till I located the issue on the right front wheel. durametric would not allow the car to be leveled given this issue.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:09 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

I finally broke down and took it to the Porsche dealer in hopes that they would know how to quickly resolve the issue. How silly of me. Instead I got a quote for $4,400 to replace the rear struts. They said they are showing a fault in one of the rear struts and that, while it is clear the strut needs to be replaced, it's not clear that will resolve the problem. I said thanks but no thanks. They did adjust the ride height so it is closer to where it should be from front to back but it still isn't and it still shows the fault.

I'm not sure what my next move is. The system raises and lowers fine so I think I'm going to drive it a bit before determining my next step. I could find an indy to replace the struts but that's still probably a $2,000 job (maybe more) and I don't know that it will be the fix.

I'm probably going to order a durametric and see what I can figure out on my own. I figure I could probably replace the struts DIY as well.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:17 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Look into Arnott, they make replacement air struts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Suspension Sorting--The Struggle is Real