Sponsored by:

Bose Amplifier related question

Old 04-25-2017, 02:59 AM
hindibuff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Amplifier related question

Hi,
I have a 2006 CS that I love but I have been dealing with a "Temperature cut-off" message on the PCM after which the system shuts off. After some research and digging (literally), I notice that there is a fan on the amp in the cargo hold and that fan never comes on.

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed that the fan on the amp comes on or more preferably, stays on all the time when the car is on. I would love some feedback on this.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2017, 09:47 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

I believe it's temperature activated. If I have the system at a moderate volume for any length of time, I can hear the fan running after I turn off the ignition. It'll continue to run until cool and then shut itself down independent on whether the vehicle is running or not.
It's quiet enough that you won't hear it from the front seat with the engine running, but you should be able to tell if in the trunk area with that side cover removed.
Unless you keep the volume way down, it should be turning on often.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:10 PM
hindibuff
Advanced

19psi, I agree the fan stays on after you cut the engine. I am wondering though, does it come on the moment you fire the amp or turn on the pcm?

If you wouldn't mind looking for me, I would appreciate it. If you remove the side panel in the trunk, you can feel the fan with your fingers. Or hear it as well I am sure if you are listening that close.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:20 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had a temperature warning also (system also shut down), but it was for the CD, not the amp.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:37 PM
hindibuff
Advanced

what do you mean cd? The pcm?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:51 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

I have the Becker CDR-23 head unit with the Bose system and I believe the amp is the same. With the ignition on and music playing normally, there is no fan action (just checked a few minutes ago).
If you're hearing it after turning off the vehicle, I highly doubt the amp is the cause of your error message. I also think it's full on/full off...never noticed it ramp up and down like a PC fan.

The problem is most likely the PCM. I read that if the disc version you're running in the DVD is too old, that will cause an overheat message which is a glitch.

Easiest thing to try first would be to disconnect the ground connector in front of the driver's seat and kill the power to the car for an hour or so. Of course it will take a while for the vehicle to relearn everything but it may also fix your overheat problem.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:33 AM
hindibuff
Advanced

hmm.. where is this ground connection? Any pictures?
Old 04-26-2017, 01:48 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

It's in front of the driver's seat towards the tunnel. There's a patch of carpet that lifts up and an a-corn nut underneath it. I think there may have also been a plastic cover that needed to be popped off on mine. Easy to access and once the cables are disconnected the whole car is dead which is critical if you're doing any major wrenching.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

Look at figure 2.

Once you do this, things are going to run and shift goofy for quite a few miles until it relearns everything.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:52 AM
hindibuff
Advanced

Thanks. I will try this out tomorrow. I have heard about the dvd disc getting old, but I ran the car with the disc out but still the same problem. Nevertheless, I have a fiber optic bypass coming to me. Once I get that, I can bypass the navigation and see if that isolates the problem.

Thanks for the link, that really helps.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:45 PM
hindibuff
Advanced

Anyone who can test whether the fan comes on with the amplifier or not? I would really appreciate the information.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bose Amplifier related question