Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by kino1161
I have an 08 GTS. Will this will work on my model to? Does it reset the SERVICE NOW light? What are other benefits of this tool?
I'd suggest going to the linked website and reading the description. ALL your questions are answered there.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by pchak
Hi! I bought this, and tried it out yesterday. The Launch software is not as intuitive as one would think, and the manual is worthless. Where do you go in the menu to reset the service intervals? DO you know if it will reset brake pad warning? My pads are fine-if so, do you know where that reset is?
thanks!
The brake pad warning is automatically reset when you have a working warning sensor. ONCE triggered the sensor MUST BE REPLACED to turn the light off. It is worn through by the brake rotor when the pad backing gets close to the rotor. Your pads may be fine - but if the light is on - at least one sensor isn't. The sensors are usually replaced with pads - they're difficult to remove intact once the pads have some heat/time on them, so replacement is considered SOP.

I'm not sure how intuitive you would think the software should be - I personally find it easier to use than the Durametric. The only annoying thing I find is the action of your phones (Android phones) back button is inconsistent. But that's true for almost any Android app or website, so nothing new there. At least this asks you if you're sure you want to exit the program before doing it, and reminds you to take the OBD-II dongle when you're done.

I'll have to take a look at where the reset functions are for service reminders - I seem to recall them being fairly high up in the menu hierarchy, not difficult to find.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:27 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assumed that I would have to replace the sensor, if it broke, but good to know it can be cleared. I agree that the back button on Android is problematic.

I went through a bunch of the menu items and could not find anything about the service reminders. I appreciate you looking.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2017, 08:33 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by pchak
I assumed that I would have to replace the sensor, if it broke, but good to know it can be cleared. I agree that the back button on Android is problematic.

I went through a bunch of the menu items and could not find anything about the service reminders. I appreciate you looking.

Thanks!
On mine - it's under Engine. I'll have to take some screen captures - but it's only down a few levels.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:35 PM
pchak
Pro

Originally Posted by deilenberger
On mine - it's under Engine. I'll have to take some screen captures - but it's only down a few levels.
Thanks! I appreciate it!
Old 04-25-2017, 03:55 PM
jones8430
AutoX

HI I have just received mine,
It comes with 5 free cars and 3 free diag ?
what would happen if I just pick 1 car for now, as it says once picked it cannot be changed?
I was hoping to pick porsche for now and later on pick other cars?
Also I need this to rest my airbag light as I removed my seat with key in ignition and now have airbag fault, What setting should I look for,
I would also like to try and fix my headlight aim adjustment error as I have replaced both xennon ballast for new OEM ones but have read that they need to be calibrated by Porsche main dealer?
any advice would be aprecheated as a little knoledge can be very dangerous in my case.
Thank you
Mark
Old 04-25-2017, 04:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by jones8430
HI I have just received mine,
It comes with 5 free cars and 3 free diag ?
what would happen if I just pick 1 car for now, as it says once picked it cannot be changed?
I was hoping to pick porsche for now and later on pick other cars?
Also I need this to rest my airbag light as I removed my seat with key in ignition and now have airbag fault, What setting should I look for,
I would also like to try and fix my headlight aim adjustment error as I have replaced both xennon ballast for new OEM ones but have read that they need to be calibrated by Porsche main dealer?
any advice would be aprecheated as a little knoledge can be very dangerous in my case.
Thank you
Mark
Hi Mark,

I didn't immediately pick all the brands of cars I wanted - but I *did* pick 5 before the 1 year free update period passed. There was no problem adding other manufacturers when I was still under the update period. Once that period expired - the option to select and download any additional manufacturers disappeared. It does appear that I could order another manufacturer if I wanted to - but presently I have no need to.

Airbag - look under SRS (Supplemental Restraint System)

As far as calibrating your headlights - if you only replaced the ballast I can't see any reason that a calibration would be needed. If you replaced the entire light assembly - then it might be necessary to adjust the beam alignment.

Since you haven't told us what year/model Cayenne you're using it with - all of this is guesswork, so take nothing I've said as gospel.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:19 PM
jones8430
AutoX

Thanks for reply
I will try tonight,
as for the lights I bought two ballast from germany (brand new LAD5G) as 1 of the orignial stopped working then the other stopped working a week later When I changed them and new bulbs I now have check headlamp beam adjustment error even though that the lights go up and down when turned on, I have a Cayanne 4.5 s petrol 2005, I have seen a few post on line that say it could be a loose wire but I checked them all and another site said that the ballasts are for a few make of cars and need to be progrommed to a specific car ??
Thanks again for reply, I let you know how I get on.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:06 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Is this same or old version of the adapter?

How much is it for each car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Local-La...wAAOSwRUhY-Iff
Old 04-25-2017, 05:34 PM
jones8430
AutoX

Hi It says $49.95 when I click on Porsche car, it also says version V21.81 hope this helps
I cant just click one car model as it says I must pick more to continue
Old 04-25-2017, 10:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by touareg
Is this same or old version of the adapter?

How much is it for each car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Local-La...wAAOSwRUhY-Iff
Actually - not really and no.

It's basically the same OBD-II Bluetooth device - but the software supplied with it is different - and the way it's sold is different.

That one is without ANY vehicle/manufacturer specific diagnostics capability. As delivered it will do just OBD-II and some ABS diagnostics. Generic OBD-II. It won't read the 30 or so modules in your Cayenne.

To get it to do that - you have to purchase the software for Porsche - which includes ALL Porsche cars. As someone mentioned - that's about another $50, so you're in at about $100 to JUST read Porsche codes. If you want additional vehicle manufacturers (all your cars aren't Porsches) - each manufacturer will cost you another $50. So - the adaptor and 2 cars costs the same as the ICarScan one - which includes in the $158/price - the ability to choose 5 different car manufacturers.

Which is best for you? Dunno. At the time I bought mine - the Launch tool (made by the company that writes the software running on the ICarScan) wasn't readily available.

I only know one person who bought the one from Launch - and he seems happy with it. If you notice - there are versions of it available for around $80 that include 2 vehicle manufacturer's diagnostics. That's not a bad deal either.

I haven't worked with that tool, and haven't tried the software. I know from seeing it - the software has some differences from the ICarScan software. Dunno if the differences are simply cosmetic or significant. If someone wants to buy one and send it to me I could do a side by side comparison. That might be interesting.

So that's why not-really and no. But sorta...
Old 04-25-2017, 10:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by jones8430
Thanks for reply
I will try tonight,
as for the lights I bought two ballast from germany (brand new LAD5G) as 1 of the orignial stopped working then the other stopped working a week later When I changed them and new bulbs I now have check headlamp beam adjustment error even though that the lights go up and down when turned on, I have a Cayanne 4.5 s petrol 2005, I have seen a few post on line that say it could be a loose wire but I checked them all and another site said that the ballasts are for a few make of cars and need to be progrommed to a specific car ??
Thanks again for reply, I let you know how I get on.
I looked tonight - and there is a specific headlight alignment section. I would guess what you're seeing is simply a stored code where the control unit recognized that a different ballast has been installed (which would look to the control unit as if a completely different LIGHT was installed) - so it's set a warning. My WAG - you can turn the error off with the ICarScan.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

OK - someone up there asked about resetting service intervals. I poked around. I only went so far because I didn't want to reset mine again - but I do recall different service types being resettable (oil service, mileage/time interval based services, etc.)

Here is where you find it:

Main menu

Instrument Cluster Menu

Special Function Menu

Reset maintenance interval entry

From there another window opens - offering you selections for the service type you're resetting (from memory..)
Old 04-26-2017, 12:11 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks, could someone post the pic of the icon in the android and apple store?

Or the exact name? Want to make sure I get the correct application.

I will order the one in the link, I picked HK shipping 10 to 30 business days.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:04 AM
jones8430
AutoX

Default thanks

Hi Mark,

I didn't immediately pick all the brands of cars I wanted - but I *did* pick 5 before the 1 year free update period passed. There was no problem adding other manufacturers when I was still under the update period. Once that period expired - the option to select and download any additional manufacturers disappeared. It does appear that I could order another manufacturer if I wanted to - but presently I have no need to.

Airbag - look under SRS (Supplemental Restraint System)

As far as calibrating your headlights - if you only replaced the ballast I can't see any reason that a calibration would be needed. If you replaced the entire light assembly - then it might be necessary to adjust the beam alignment.

Since you haven't told us what year/model Cayenne you're using it with - all of this is guesswork, so take nothing I've said as gospel.
I looked tonight - and there is a specific headlight alignment section. I would guess what you're seeing is simply a stored code where the control unit recognized that a different ballast has been installed (which would look to the control unit as if a completely different LIGHT was installed) - so it's set a warning. My WAG - you can turn the error off with the ICarScan.
Thats amazing It was too late last night to try, I give it a whirl tonight after work,
so far this option is a lot less hassle and money than going to dealer.

Thank you for reply

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.