Sponsored by:

Request to the Moderators

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 05:57 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

It looks like the way it has been structured, there's only one subforum - the 958 one. Was that the intent or should it have been done as Don has itemized it below with the upper level Cayenne forum and the 2 subforums under it (3 when the new one launches)?

Old 04-18-2017, 06:44 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
It looks like the way it has been structured, there's only one subforum - the 958 one. Was that the intent or should it have been done as Don has itemized it below with the upper level Cayenne forum and the 2 subforums under it (3 when the new one launches)?

Pete - I know what I'd like - but I hate to press our luck.. mebbe down the road a bit as the 958 sub picks up speed.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I should comment - one of the hardest things to do when creating a forum overall - is figuring out the structure so it's easy to navigate and flexible enough for the future. One also has to consider search engine spiders - how deep into the forum will they go..

I can see how this forum started - and now is somewhat bound by the original layout. If the model we are looking for was followed - there would be a major /911 Forum, followed by subforums for the variants. Ditto on Boxters, Caymans, etc.

The thing is - it's not easy to move blocks of threads around once things are put in place. vBulletin runs on top of a database, which in some instances hasn't proven that stable. Massive movements leaves blank spaces in the database that then should be recovered in a nightly cleanup routine. It's often during the cleanup routines when things go bollocks.. BTDT on other vBulletin based forums.

The upside of using vBulletin - it's widely used so people are familiar with it. It can be customized in layout and appearance and features available. I believe another big plus for it is it's owned (as best I know) by Internet Brands - who also own many enthusiast websites - including sixsppedonline.

I think we'll get sorted out - it just may take a bit of time. Having the 958 subforum started is a big step in the right direction IMHO.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I think we'll get sorted out - it just may take a bit of time. Having the 958 subforum started is a big step in the right direction IMHO.
^This.

Its a great start.

I have no clue how the forum software works, but your explanation makes sense.

The new subforum has been in place for a couple days.

If they move a thread or two each day, it will take a while for the most prominent 958 threads to all end up over there (diesel issues, variocam bolt issue, ect).

Don't forget, Rome wasn't burned in a day.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:44 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps including model year range in the title of the forum / sub forum would help avoid confusion, cross posts, and posting to the wrong forum for newcomers?

Quick Reply: Request to the Moderators