Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An expensive day - what else might be next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:47 PM
agcollins
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy An expensive day - what else might be next?

I have a CTT 2007 with about 74,000mi on the clock. It has been serviced and generally well cared for, and I have owned it from being an ex-demonstrator. I have replaced the battery (single battery only) as had intermittent starting problems - now 1:20 starts is a problem but giving it more time it then starts.

But yesterday, I loud rhythmic sound started and some other banging. Took it to a Porsche Centre in the UK, and have been told that:

- one of the rear brake shoes has fractured and damaged the thermal protection wall. Both need replacement. Car not safe to drive. Not a cheap repair.

- the drive shaft bushings and bearings are worn and there is now play in the shaft - needs immediate replacement. Car not safe to drive. Also not a cheap repair.

- there is an oil leak from the engine - and they want to clean and spray paint the exterior to detect from where the leak is coming - sounding like it will be expensive.

I am not looking to buy a new car as I am starting my own business - as much as I would like to have a newer Pig.

But my question to the forum is, with a 10 year old Cayenne Turbo, what other big ticket items are known or likely to fail or simply need replacement due to wear and tear?

Not meaning brake pads or discs or wiper blades - but transmission? Clutch? Engine gaskets?

Trying to make a judgement as to how much else is likely to go wrong - recognise it is a bit unknown as every car's history is different....

The only small rainbow is that they are discounting parts and labour due to the age of the car....
Old 03-26-2017, 03:05 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by agcollins

...- one of the rear brake shoes has fractured and damaged the thermal protection wall. Both need replacement. Car not safe to drive. Not a cheap repair.

- the drive shaft bushings and bearings are worn and there is now play in the shaft - needs immediate replacement. Car not safe to drive. Also not a cheap repair.

-there is an oil leak from the engine - and they want to clean and spray paint the exterior to detect from where the leak is coming - sounding like it will be expensive...
This car has disc brakes. Pads & rotors, not shoes & drums. Also, what is the "thermal protection wall"?
I won't disagree that bad brakes are unsafe to drive, but this diagnosis leaves me with more questions than answers.

The Cardan shaft (drive shaft) is known for tearing out the bearing support. You are in the right time frame for it. The dealer will tell you that you have to replace the whole thing (not cheap), but there are other ways to address it that are far less.

How bad is the leak? Any idea where it's coming from (general area)? While the "clean and spray paint" sounds good in theory, a simple cleaning should be enough. There are a couple places that leak that are not that big of a problem, and again, the dealer will tell you it's a big, expensive fix, while it can be addressed for a lot less.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:03 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm just guessing here but could he be talking about the parking brake? Also, Porsche didn't make the Cayenne in 2007. @the OP, will you double check the year?

​​​​
Old 03-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

There was an 07 sold outside the US. Given that he calls it the "Porsche Centre", and says "in the UK", an 07 is possible.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:22 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by CTTS520
I'm just guessing here but could he be talking about the parking brake? Also, Porsche didn't make the Cayenne in 2007. @the OP, will you double check the year?

​​​​
Especially in Europe, we don't go by MY but actual year of manufacture.
So MY of OPs car might be 08 and the car itself is manufactured in 07. Hence the 07 deisgnation by our standards ;-)
Old 03-26-2017, 05:51 PM
agcollins
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

Originally Posted by CTTS520
I'm just guessing here but could he be talking about the parking brake? ​​​​
That is correct - apparently it is applied as parking brake but the Porsche tech said it is also partially engaged in general breaking.

The problem I have now, is that the car is already at the centre and not in a state to drive away. So DIY repairs would be logistically tricky particularly as I do not have a garage. I have no doubt that they are following standard product/service guidelines to use authentic Porsche parts - hence full Cardan Shaft replacement not just the bracket - hence drain my wallet. In any event the car was soon due for a service.

Further internet searches resumed in Youtube videos of alternative repair parts for the Cardan shaft support bracket - which I could probably manage to do myself. The brake shoes probably not.

Generally, more interested in what else is not the list of "likely" failures at this point? May help me to proactive repair rather than failure repair. Any thoughts?

No idea on how to reconcile US MY designations and ROW year of manufacture. It is a facelift model before the new model in 2010 (UK time).
Old 03-26-2017, 06:11 PM
user 83838290
Banned

It's a 957, don't go any further Get it done and enjoy the car. Try to find a reputable porsche independent mechanic to work on your ride next time.
If you find one and want to be on the safe side, change all the oils (engine, differentials, transmission ...), change the filters, spark plugs, ignition coils & battery. Have them look at all the bushings as well. Drain the passenger side IC oil that has accumulated there and change all the o-rings. Install an oil catch tank to more easily drain the vented oil. Get the glued coolant line tapped with a screw. Rebuild the o-rings on your air compressor (the company that sells them is from the UK and they cost like £15 or so, search on ebay.co.uk).

IIRC, this should be it and it will cost you about £1k in parts, you don't need to buy almost anyhthing original from Porsche, OEM stuff is equally good. Get a good indy as I mentioned and you'll be set.

That should give you a looot of carefree miles. You car does not have a "clutch" per se (well, it does but not the one you're thinking of), it has a hydrodynamic torque converter. It rarely goes bad.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:13 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by agcollins
That is correct - apparently it is applied as parking brake but the Porsche tech said it is also partially engaged in general breaking.
Ha Ha Ha.. what a load of crap. He is right if you are rallying and need to drift around corners which I am certain you are not on street roads.

Search for "jimi fix" here on the Cardan shaft that will cost you a bicycle inner tube and zip ties to fix. Any garage can replace drum brakes on a parking brake and you can certainly drive with a bad parking brake.

Find a good Indy if you can't DIY. The cost of a tow added will be cheaper at the end of the day. That dealer tech sounds incompetent and is looking to fleece you hard.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:15 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Originally Posted by chsu74
Ha Ha Ha.. what a load of crap. He is right if you are rallying and need to drift around corners which I am certain you are not on street roads.

Find a good Indy if you can't DIY. The cost of a tow added will be cheaper at the end of the day. That dealer tech sounds incompetent and is looking to fleece you hard.
THIS
Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Search for "jimi fix" here on the Cardan shaft that will cost you a bicycle inner tube and zip ties to fix. Any garage can replace drum brakes on a parking brake and you can certainly drive with a bad parking brake.
Exactly what are you doing with the bicycle inner-tube?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:57 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Exactly what are you doing with the bicycle inner-tube?
Sorry coolant hose. Have no idea why I remembered as bicycle inner tube.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...with-pics.html

Quick Reply: An expensive day - what else might be next?