Sponsored by:

955 Bose intensive pcm wiring/replacement questions

Old 03-07-2017, 12:39 PM
jdhopper23
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 955 Bose intensive pcm wiring/replacement questions

Hi all

My name is Jon, and I recently picked up a 2006 Cayenne S at a very respectable price being that the PCM unit was malfunctioning. After a great deal of looking around I decided to replace it with a Chinese made android headunit built specifically for the Cayenne: https://avinusa.com/porsche-cayenne-...on-system.html

This unit comes with a plug and play wiring harness, but also with a second harness that needs to be wired into the car. That is where my questions lie.

First, the PCM wiring diagram, you can find these all over the web, many of them have different opinions on what wires do:

My very few questions:
1) what in this diagram relays to the steering wheel controls? My new unit is set up to work with Porsche steering wheel controls, but for the life of me I cannot figure out which wires in the vehicle this is attributed to.

2) Plug A pin 2 on most of the media I can find (including that above) is non-assigned. I have, however, found a few references to it being a reverse indicator for cars equipped with a backup camera. I am installing a backup camera, and this would save me some time... I would love comment, but I will likely just check it with a voltmeter when I install the new headunit.

Thanks. When its all said and done I will post a complete description of the wiring and write up on the headunit.

Jon
Old 03-07-2017, 01:36 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I do not know the answers, but am looking forward to hearing your findings, specifically on #2. I installed the Chinese Android unit and it will not automatically activate the reverse camera, so I am a bit stumped. Here is more info in case you have not found it yet:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ll-review.html
Old 03-07-2017, 07:07 PM
jdhopper23
3rd Gear

As is tradition, I have answered my own questions. SO, to my great surprise, when I opened up the dash on my Cayenne today, I found that there were 7 (count them) 7 wires total which connected to my PCM. These are as follows: C1 (1, 4, and 2) C3 (14) and A4, 5, 8. Thats it. Those are the only wires which connected to the factory head unit. My mind was blown that there was NOT ONE switched 12v wire connecting to the factory unit... crazy. I am not even sure how that even works.

regardless

The Avin unit comes with a plug and play harness. Plugged it in, used its 12v constand and ground wires for my AVIN supplied MOST adapter, ran a 12v switched wire from my fuse box... and BAM. It works. Steering wheel controls are also working.

No time yet for extensive testing (radio works, internet works) my mind is blown at what I got for what I paid. (I caught it on sale and paid $600 out the door with the MOST adapter).

Crazy, will comment further once its all back in the dash and I have tested it a bit further.

BTW, the new Avin unit plugs right into the factory radio antenna. Will show you how it looks later.

Jon
Old 03-07-2017, 07:48 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

The Avin isn't quite a generic Chinese unit. While the exterior shell may be shared with some Chinese units, and likely a lot of the hardware, the software is proprietary and provides a more cohesive user interface and a much better overall experience than the generic units on alibaba do. It's main competitor is the Dynavin N6 which is the unit I'm running in my Cayenne. I ran an Avin Avant in another car I had, but their unit was not available for the Cayenne until recently so I went with the Dynavin when I purchased. In my experience, the Avin was pretty nice out of the box, but could be finicky and have lots of compatibility problems when trying to run additional apps from the android app store. Overall it was a good unit though. I'd be really interested to hear your impressions on the Cayenne version once you've had time to learn its quirks.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:15 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Glad to hear it worked well for you. Did you get the reverse camera working out of the box as well?

While you have everything apart, check out the trick someone posted of using a relay to power the head unit when you unlock the car via the footwell lights. I am going to do that next as it would be nice to have the unit fully booted by the time I am driving! Sometimes it feels kind of poopy to wait to switch sources, etc.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:23 PM
RMB4ME
1st Gear

I believe C1 and C2 are the steering wheel remote connection (at least on my 04 TT) according to Metra ASWC installation instructions on line.
Unfortunately mine has no b/u camera and I did not run a wire from the rear when I gutted the system... guess I am pulling the trim yet again ... yay
Old 03-08-2017, 06:40 PM
gjsauser
Intermediate

The majority of functions on the bose unit with fiber optic are controlled via the CANBUS, your unit should have come with the CANBUS box/decoder. You will also need a MOST adaptor to be able to tap into the fiber optic ring and get audio from the unit to the amp. The 9' Android review posted previously has a lot of great info.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:37 PM
jdhopper23
3rd Gear

All seems well so far, and it looks for a backup camera every time I put the vehicle in reverse, I had to do no extra wiring, all I have to do is plug in the RCA for the camera to the back and it'll be done. The only issues so far are the screen being quite reflective, a common issue with aftermarket receivers of this type, and the radio starts to scan randomly sometimes... still trying to figure that one out. Also, i have managed to download a suitable offline app for GPS, but its not wanting to download maps for some reason. Little quirks, but I'm not super familiar with android so... there is that. Pairing my phone to the car was easy as it could be though, lol. Its a sin to post on a car page without pictures, so here are some. I dipped the wheels and recently (and painted the lug nuts gold, don't hate, it looks amazing in person!) and installed the LED tails. The calipers look like crap up close, so i might do the noble thing and paint them in the somewhat near future... i think classic red with white lettering would set off the vehicle in pretty significant fashion. Its been less than fun getting this thing up to date on maintenance. To give you an idea,,, the interior air cabin filter was original to the car. You can imagine what it looked like having never been changed. I also have to install a battery tomorrow as I am getting the AWD failure notice. Waiting on a tool to come in so I can take the seat out to change it. Crazy cars...

radio: a plethora of RCA's including a rear camera input, and audio cables, and video in, and video out. Note the white connector on the lower left which connects to the factory radio antenna. Also, no noise from the alternator with this HU.

it was super tight getting this thing installed. It barely fits with all the other junk involved. I could have modified the stock radio tray and it'd have been easier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 955 Bose intensive pcm wiring/replacement questions