Sponsored by:

Cayenne V6 MT vs X5 I6 MT

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 01:17 PM
blksche
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne V6 MT vs X5 I6 MT

I'm tossing around the idea of getting a cheap manual-transmissioned hauler, and the idea of using a Cayenne or X5 kind of tickles my fancy. I know that with the exception of the GTS, both of these SUVs were slow. I have spent about 20 minutes with an X5 MT and generally liked it, and have a little more seat time in a Cayenne, but it was the V8 auto. Can anyone explain help me out with a comparison of the two?
Old 03-07-2018, 11:10 AM
joel_in_raleigh
4th Gear

Sorry to revive an old one, but this seems a discussion worth continuing.
I've yet to try either the Cayenne or X5 manuals...curious about the shifter placement in both. I've read elsewhere that the Cayenne's is located in an unusual spot that doesn't fall naturally into the hand (i.e. you have to reach/hunch for it). Can anyone comment on the shifter location for both of these vehicles?
Old 03-07-2018, 09:28 PM
vongo
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have both a base X5 and a base Cayenne with six speed manuals and both a VERY similar to each other. Slow but very satisfying to drive. The X5 has an odd first gear, in that it doesn't like to be rushed off the line but other than that they are sixes with very little performance difference between them. The X5 feels lighter to drive but I don't think it is... The BMW 3.0 is a better engine I think but that's somewhat subjective as well though the VR6 is a very cool engine. Cayenne is a much better off-roader due to the low diff and hill start assist, which is a cool tech that Ive never seen before but is very intuitive.

Shifter placement is good and I have not notice any issues grabbing gears. We were going to replace the X5 as it's got 250k miles but having a hard time letting it go.

​​​​​If there are any questions let me know as I think both are great!

Last edited by vongo; 03-08-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:18 AM
joel_in_raleigh
4th Gear

vongo, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. What a unique fleet of vehicles to have! I hope to acquire one of these models soon as a fun car. Are the seats in one better for a long road trip?

I know every owner's service experience will vary, but what has yours been regarding repair costs? Anecdotally I see more complaints on the X5, but you clearly have been able to keep both running, presumably without replacement of major drivetrain components.

Quick Reply: Cayenne V6 MT vs X5 I6 MT