9.5" RS Spyder wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 07:21 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Default 9.5" RS Spyder wheels?

Hey folks,
I'm pining after a set of the optional wider RS Spyder 20" wheels. Details are scarce on them. Does anyone know?
- Specs (offset, in particular). Weight would be awesome, but I don't get the sense you Cayenne guys care about wheel weight
- Where to source?

If anyone has a set they'd like to part with, LMK. My newly acquired Cayenne S would be stoked.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:40 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Hey folks,
I'm pining after a set of the optional wider RS Spyder 20" wheels. Details are scarce on them. Does anyone know?
- Specs (offset, in particular). Weight would be awesome, but I don't get the sense you Cayenne guys care about wheel weight
- Where to source?

If anyone has a set they'd like to part with, LMK. My newly acquired Cayenne S would be stoked.
Here's the description of what I have:

958.362.151.00.JE1 9.5x20" Factory Cayenne RS-Spyder wheel, 2011-up, Matte Black (47mm)

Bought from Wheel Enhancement in LA and they also provided this info:

The 9.5x20” RS-Spyder wheel is manufactured by BBS in Germany. This is a “Flowformed” aluminum wheel, a hybrid of both traditional cast and forging methods that reduces the weight of the barrel portion, as well as provide greater strength and reduced overall weight. These wheels weigh 33 pounds 11 ounces each, less than the 9x20” version of the wheel.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:52 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Thank you! Can you give me a rough sense for the $damage? Either in the forum or PM? I'm sitting down.

Also looking at these:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...&autoModClar=S

And:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...&autoModClar=S
Old 02-04-2017, 10:22 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

I've got the 20x9.5" Spyders in black on my '17 GTS. That and the narrower 19x8.5" Sport Classic in platinum gray for winter. Here's a post with pix of them both. Both colors do a great job of keeping the brake dust from looking as obvious!

I meant to order the Spyders in platinum originally but the black seems to work too. I have gotten a number of positive comments about the color scheme. It definitely stands out compared to other Cayennes I've seen locally. When I looked at the Tequipment page (which you can't easily bookmark by model) I didn't see the RS Spyder in black as an option.

When I priced going with a bundled winter set it was more expensive to get the factory rims and TPMS separately from tires elsewhere. Dealer margin is, apparently, not very generous on tire sets, but I did get them during a 10% winter sale.

I believe if the center bore is the same you 'should' be able to use a regular Porsche center cap in them. Provided the design lends itself to the capped look.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:16 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Thanks for the pics. Those are beautiful wheels!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:36 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pics. Those are beautiful wheels!
Thanks! When you bend over for factory prices I suppose they ought to look good.

You know they've got you hooked when you're helping your kid build the Lego 918 Spyder model and you debate between the RS Spyder and the Spyder Rad style caps for the wheels. He didn't like the Rad style because he wanted wheels like the ones on Daddy's car.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:19 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Thanks! When you bend over for factory prices I suppose they ought to look good.

You know they've got you hooked when you're helping your kid build the Lego 918 Spyder model and you debate between the RS Spyder and the Spyder Rad style caps for the wheels. He didn't like the Rad style because he wanted wheels like the ones on Daddy's car.
after seeing the prices on new and used 9.5" spyders I did a bit more research and found that the 'sport design 2' wheels are the same weight as the spyders and will be much easier to clean. Found a set on eBay with tires and tpms for not much more than one bare 9.5" spyder wheel. I'm a bit of a bbs wheel fan, and am disappointed the sport designs are made by ronal instead of bbs, but hopefully they will do the job.

i may go with 5mm spacers to fill things out a bit more. We'll see.

thanks for the info folks.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:50 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

i may go with 5mm spacers to fill things out a bit more. We'll see.
I haven't taken any pix from an angle that'd highlight the width.

I've heard folks having pretty decent luck using vinyl paints to alter the rim appearance. Aka 'plasti-dip'. Either air brush or rattle can applied. Could be something to consider if you want a different look than the factory finish.

Yes, the RS Spyders have a lot of detail to keep clean. Loving the easier pattern on the Sport Classics for now.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:30 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey folks,
- Where to source?

Eye candy only for encouragement.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:09 PM
itsboz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are mine as ordered on the vehicle:

Here they are following black satin powder coating and having the vehicle lowered with K&W coilovers. (This is still a work in progress, but I love the black better than the OEM color.)
Old 02-12-2017, 12:52 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Originally Posted by itsboz
Here are mine as ordered on the vehicle:

Here they are following black satin powder coating and having the vehicle lowered with K&W coilovers. (This is still a work in progress, but I love the black better than the OEM color.)
Those are beautiful. I have a hard time telling whether or not you have the wheel arch extensions. Are those the 9.5s?

I ended up saving some $$ and buying some "sport design 2s" from ebay. Same weight, easier to clean. I also bought some 5mm spacers and wheel arch extensions. Won't look as good as the RS Spyders, but should work.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:56 PM
itsboz
Advanced

Yes, these are the 9.5" wheels. I was thinking of adding the wheel arch extensions, but I thought I had read where Porsche doesn't recommend spacers with the 9.5" Spyder wheels on the Cayenne. I'll be checking on that, though.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:56 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Here's a pic of the new setup. Found a good deal on ebay. A few nicks but otherwise in great shape. Love the new look compared to the 19s.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:22 PM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey folks,
- Where to source?

Decided to keep my 2016 Cayenne Diesel, had to replace Good Year tires so went with the 20" RS Spyder Wheels instead. It drives so much better with the fatter tires, should've done it earlier.
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2018, 09:01 PM
tresean1
Advanced

Hi guys,
Useful information here. You guys seem very knowledgeable.

I have a question:
I am eying a 2011 Cayenne S with the 20x9" RS Spyder wheels. I don't care for them too much, so was looking to swap them out with either a set of replica 20x9" or 20x9.5" Porsche SportEdition wheels with an offset of 48.

What size spacers do I need to make the wheels sit more flush with the fender and to give it a more aggressive look?

Also, I read somewhere about wheel arch extensions...what are they, and what benefit do they provide (performanc, cosmetic, etc) and how do/would they interact with offset and spacers?

Last edited by tresean1; 03-10-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 9.5" RS Spyder wheels?