Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help - ATF leak at wire connector near transmission pan.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 02:04 PM
wheelsuprun
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help - ATF leak at wire connector near transmission pan.

Hello everyone,

First post and sadly I am having an issue. I've had my 2005 Cayenne Turbo for about 5 trouble free years. Today I was going to change transmission fluid/filter/gasket using the pelican diy and when I lifted truck up I noticed a small amount of what I believe is atf on one of the wire connectors at the transmission (near the transmission pan).

The transmission is running PERFECTLY, zero problems. The leak seems to be very minor as there has not even been a drop on the floor where the truck is normally parked. Had I not been under there to change the fluid I would not have noticed at all.

I ended up not doing the fluid/filter swap until I figure out what this could be. Any ideas?? I'm thinking to clean the area very well with degreaser and drive it a bit to see if more comes out?? I have done a bunch of searching and have only heard mention of something similar with atf just on this connector but no details on what I can do?

Here is a picture of the wire connector that is sort of damp with what I believe is atf. You can see the wire connector is close to the 17mm allen/fill plug for the trans. I tried to see if the leak is coming from above but everything is dry only the wire connector is wet.

What do you guys think? Is it possible the ATF is seeping through the connector itself? How can I fix this? Again the truck is running perfectly.

Thank you MUCH in advance.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

There are known issues with fluid leaking through the auto-tranny connectors on early Cayennes. In some cases they start causing failures in the transmission operation when the wiring starts shorting out.

Certainly not unknown - but dunno what the fix might be. It would seem probably replacement of the connector on the transmission side is what would be needed. Likely to be $$$.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:47 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

On the other hand, if this is the first time you've looked at that connector on a 12-year-old vehicle, that amount of "stuff" right there on that connector is NOTHING. That kind of buildup over 12 years is far from a "leak", it's more of a minor seepage. As you noted, there's not even a "wet" drop present indicating an extremely slow "escape" of fluid. The other possibility is that oil seepage from a gasket or drip while changing the oil caused this some years ago and because it is oil even after that much time, it still looks slightly moist, but definitely not wet. Clean the connector toi get the crusty stuff off, then use electrical contact cleaner on the inside where the pins or blades are located, and use the same electrical contact cleaner to clean the connector on the transmission (and remove any greasy dirt around the connector also) so everything is fresh and clean. If you then look for seepage after a month or so, you'll know if there's really anything significant going on at that connector. If you don't see anything after a month, check again in 3 more months. If it is still clean in that area, check it again after 6 months.... etc. That way you'll have an idea of how long it takes for ATF or oil to seep onto the connector. If you are CONVINCED there's a leak after getting eyes on the connector after you disconnect it (if the connector is full of AFT that has dried into red-ish grease, that would be more of an indicator that ATF is seeping into the connector slowly over time). If you see seepage evidence, you should clean everything in and around the connector on the transmission with alcohol... repeatedly to make sure nothing oily is left, then you could put a THIN layer of high-temperature RTV sealer around the outside of the connector surfaces and even up to the edges of the pins... it probably has to be very thin and the internals of the connector may not even permit using RTV sealer, you won't know for sure until you can see everything with the connector removed. But my take is... if that's 12-years of accumulation on that connector, you have NOTHING to worry about.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

^This.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:04 AM
wheelsuprun
2nd Gear

Thank you very much for the replies. I was sort of thinking along those lines as well. I will dry it up, and watch it a bit more closely. I'm thinking I will hold off a couple hundred miles to do the atf fluid/filter change just to make sure it really is as minor an escape as I believe and go from there.

Just out of curiosity would there be a diagram or something that might show the part number of that particular connector?

Thank you once again guys for your input. I really appreciate it very much.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
There are known issues with fluid leaking through the auto-tranny connectors on early Cayennes. In some cases they start causing failures in the transmission operation when the wiring starts shorting out.

Certainly not unknown - but dunno what the fix might be. It would seem probably replacement of the connector on the transmission side is what would be needed. Likely to be $$$.
Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
On the other hand, if this is the first time you've looked at that connector on a 12-year-old vehicle, that amount of "stuff" right there on that connector is NOTHING. That kind of buildup over 12 years is far from a "leak", it's more of a minor seepage. As you noted, there's not even a "wet" drop present indicating an extremely slow "escape" of fluid. The other possibility is that oil seepage from a gasket or drip while changing the oil caused this some years ago and because it is oil even after that much time, it still looks slightly moist, but definitely not wet. Clean the connector toi get the crusty stuff off, then use electrical contact cleaner on the inside where the pins or blades are located, and use the same electrical contact cleaner to clean the connector on the transmission (and remove any greasy dirt around the connector also) so everything is fresh and clean. If you then look for seepage after a month or so, you'll know if there's really anything significant going on at that connector. If you don't see anything after a month, check again in 3 more months. If it is still clean in that area, check it again after 6 months.... etc. That way you'll have an idea of how long it takes for ATF or oil to seep onto the connector. If you are CONVINCED there's a leak after getting eyes on the connector after you disconnect it (if the connector is full of AFT that has dried into red-ish grease, that would be more of an indicator that ATF is seeping into the connector slowly over time). If you see seepage evidence, you should clean everything in and around the connector on the transmission with alcohol... repeatedly to make sure nothing oily is left, then you could put a THIN layer of high-temperature RTV sealer around the outside of the connector surfaces and even up to the edges of the pins... it probably has to be very thin and the internals of the connector may not even permit using RTV sealer, you won't know for sure until you can see everything with the connector removed. But my take is... if that's 12-years of accumulation on that connector, you have NOTHING to worry about.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:58 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

The internal transmission harness starts leaking through the connectors. Unplug them and see if they are wet inside. Get some electronics cleaner and clean up well before reassembly. I love all the guessing and conjecture but the fact is its highly unlikely that is external residual oil from somewhere else just hanging out on the connectors. Especially if you see no point of leak for the oil to make it to the connectors. I have to replace the harness on mine when it go's back together for this very reason. I have seen, read, heard of this happening more than several times so its not that uncommon.

Before you come back demanding part numbers and instructions and the cheapest place to buy I would suggest you rely on yourself instead of the guesses of others.

1. Google is your friend, use it.
2. You need a good Factory Service Manual if you are going to be fu**ing with your Cayenne. Be educated and your success ratio will soar.
3. When you get ready to purchase, a parts professional from your vendor of choice will be able to walk you to the correct part numbers based on your vin. The benefit of this is two fold. You don't order in error and eat the damage and if they send/recommend the wrong item your chance of recourse is greater.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:07 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Do the transmission oil and filter in the near future and just pull the connector, clean it up and re-install an new O-ring. Porsche doesn't sell the O-ring separately and if you don't have an O-ring kit you'll have to hit a couple of parts stores to find the right size or find it online.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:25 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Because the back of the transmission side connector itself is seated into the transmission body only replacing the o-ring here may not help if the actual seal around the wires going into the back of the connector is compromised. This is why u have to buy the whole harness with a new connector. I'm sure there is a "jimmy-fix" to apply here as well but it hasn't been discussed nor should it be for the cost of a new harness. The wiring insulation gets nasty at this point too.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Because the back of the transmission side connector itself is seated into the transmission body only replacing the o-ring here may not help if the actual seal around the wires going into the back of the connector is compromised. This is why u have to buy the whole harness with a new connector. I'm sure there is a "jimmy-fix" to apply here as well but it hasn't been discussed nor should it be for the cost of a new harness. The wiring insulation gets nasty at this point too.
And I can recall postings involving destruction of the transmission control units when the fluid wicked up the wiring and into the control module. That's when it started getting expensive - besides the module the harness between the module and the transmission then required replacement.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:06 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Earlier I mentioned the wicking of transmission fluid up a harness due to a leak internal to a transmission connector. In looking at a thread on RennTech for another problem, I found the postings that mentioned this happening:

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...lay-gone-wild/

The specific posting is: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...comment=237817
Old 03-24-2020, 11:59 AM
pnickisson
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi I know this is an old trhread but do you know the part number of the harness that goes from the transmission to the control unit. I need the part number and cannot find it anywhere.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2020, 02:24 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pnickisson
Hi I know this is an old trhread but do you know the part number of the harness that goes from the transmission to the control unit. I need the part number and cannot find it anywhere.
Thanks
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=340-02
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=902-07
Old 03-28-2020, 11:11 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...ss-95532536311

Old 07-21-2020, 12:22 AM
Antcayenne
1st Gear

Default Part # for 06 Cayenne S

Originally Posted by wheelsuprun
Hello everyone,

First post and sadly I am having an issue. I've had my 2005 Cayenne Turbo for about 5 trouble free years. Today I was going to change transmission fluid/filter/gasket using the pelican diy and when I lifted truck up I noticed a small amount of what I believe is atf on one of the wire connectors at the transmission (near the transmission pan).

The transmission is running PERFECTLY, zero problems. The leak seems to be very minor as there has not even been a drop on the floor where the truck is normally parked. Had I not been under there to change the fluid I would not have noticed at all.

I ended up not doing the fluid/filter swap until I figure out what this could be. Any ideas?? I'm thinking to clean the area very well with degreaser and drive it a bit to see if more comes out?? I have done a bunch of searching and have only heard mention of something similar with atf just on this connector but no details on what I can do?

Here is a picture of the wire connector that is sort of damp with what I believe is atf. You can see the wire connector is close to the 17mm allen/fill plug for the trans. I tried to see if the leak is coming from above but everything is dry only the wire connector is wet.

What do you guys think? Is it possible the ATF is seeping through the connector itself? How can I fix this? Again the truck is running perfectly.

Thank you MUCH in advance.

Need help finding atransmission control module wire that goes from under passenger seat to transmission

Quick Reply: Need help - ATF leak at wire connector near transmission pan.