Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy Platinum now or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Buy Platinum now or wait?

I'm in the market for a Cayenne to go with my 911 (2017 991.2 C2). today is a snow day around here so its on my mind. I've seen the current crop of Platinum edition models and they seem like a great package, but i also know the next version is just over the horizon, although it looks like the latest ideas and reports on that are a few months dated.

anyone have any thoughts on this? Most of the Platinum models available here locally have either no sunroof at all, or just have the sunroof and not the large glass roof. for some reason that just seems cheap to me and not worthy of a 70k vehicle. so i haven't found one that's exactly like what i would special order, so that's making it harder.

Anyone know more about when to expect the new version? or if the Platinum is a good enough price for the package to warrant getting that instead of a base of the new model? I wont be wanting to spend over 75k on this when all is send and done. so its a lesser Cayenne either way.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you look at the repair costs, for the pano roof, the smaller one looks like a good choice.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:15 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 658 Posts

what repair costs? ... almost all 958 & newest Cayenne's have had zero problems with Pano. Mine is going on 4 yrs old & I use it (open & close) all the time. Flawless. And I love the huge glass.

Be careful not to apply 957 & older pano problems, to the newer models.

Regarding Platinum for $75k or less ... Sounds like you are not married to getting an absolute brand-new zero-miles Cayenne. If so, & willing to get a '14 or '15, you can get a lot more vehicle (power, options, etc) for $75k.
So to me it sounds like you'll need to think more about what's important to you, like whether you're Ok with losing the depreciation that will occur if you walk off the lot with a '17 (or waiting for a '18).

Also not sure on whether you prioritize "options/features" over "power". Cuz for $75k, I got into my 2012 CTT 2 years ago with ALL the bells & whistles ($150k MSRP). Now you can get that same for $60-$65k.

But even if you want newer than 2012/2013,... you can still get a lot of vehicle for $75k. You've got plenty to work with (choices) with that budget.

I think if you want folks here to help you narrow things down a bit, you'll need to type out what is most important to you (beyond just sunroof).

=Steve
Old 01-16-2017, 01:53 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for jumping in. Important to me is a high-quality, reliable family SUV, comfortable enough to make trips more enjoyable and nice/fun enough to encourage me to keep it for a long time. I have a Land Rover now, its pretty good, awesome in the bad weather, but long term reliability scare me a bit, and i can't stand its infotaiment system. I'd prefer to buy new. So this is just a question as to the new Platinum vs waiting, and additionally, are there a lot of people who prefer no moon roof at all? its amazing to me how many Cayenne's i see which dont have a window up top at all. seems strange on an expensive family vehicle. I totally get it on a sports car. I have the glass roof on my 911, and might have actually been happier without it, but on an SUV, i'm not so sure. feel like I'm missing something there.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:17 PM
clevelandporsche
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Definitely get one with a sunroof (preferably Panorama). It will be much harder to sell one with no sunroof when the time comes, even if you don't use it. Every one of the Cayennes we get in has a sunroof unless it's a custom order (and it's very rare for a customer to order one without a sunroof).
Old 01-16-2017, 04:05 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Buy what you want when you want it. 🤑

I bought a 14 GTS last year with Pano roof and I love it. I paid around $67k for it as a CPO vehicle with 27k miles on it. The roof is awesome - with the cover slid back it is so cool to have so much visibility. Only minor issue is a few creaks that I solved with a little silicone gel. Not once did I consider what might happen when the redesigned version comes out for 2018 - I wanted it now. Might be my favorite DD ever.

The Cayenne reliability will be a major step up from Land Rover if history is any indicator.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:53 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 99999
its amazing to me how many Cayenne's i see which dont have a window up top at all. seems strange on an expensive family vehicle.
Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a Cayenne WITHOUT either the sunroof or pano?!
Old 01-18-2017, 10:19 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clevelandporsche
Definitely get one with a sunroof (preferably Panorama). It will be much harder to sell one with no sunroof when the time comes, even if you don't use it.
I agree with the regular sunroof [and am surprised that Porsche even offers without], but as someone who is shopping for a secondhand 957, I'm specifically avoiding pano roof trucks because of the horrifically expensive issues. If Porsche fixed it great but I'll believe that when I see it. It's a $10K fubar if it stops working out of warranty. My $.02
Old 01-18-2017, 10:50 AM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

It's my understanding the 958 doesn't have the pano-nightmares the 957's did.

I'd get it personally, but I also don't like added creaks when driving which sometimes those roofs can cause.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:26 PM
clevelandporsche
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Going from 4 panels in the 955/957 to 2 panels in the 958 reduced a lot of the complexity in the system. I have only seen one issue with the new pano roof in our service department, and it was a sunshade failure. I don't hear a lot about creaking noises like I did with the earlier Cayennes.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:43 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^Sounds like a more reliable and simple design--good to know!
Old 01-18-2017, 06:58 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
Buy what you want when you want it. 🤑
Agreed At some point you just have to bite the bullet. It's a depreciating asset no matter how you look at it. Want it now, just buy it now and be done.

Pano roof was on my wish list, and I wound up with a vehicle without it. Had a loaner with it after taking delivery of mine, and it's definitely nice... (get in and it's "ooooh ahhh") but can't say in day-to-day I really notice it's not there (or notice it's there in the loaner once I get moving).

My next one will have it... but I don't really sit in mine and regret the regular sunroof either.

Quick Reply: Buy Platinum now or wait?