Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need small enclosed Car Trailer 7000 GVW?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:56 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 659 Posts
Default Need small enclosed Car Trailer 7000 GVW?

Ok Guys, I've reached an impasse, and need your help,... especially from those guys who are towing their cars in enclosed trailers.

I've been towing my 964T for many years on a open trailer. Less than 7000 GVW. Heavy steel dual axle trailer + my 964, and I have not exceeded my limits. It's worked flawlessly for many years (even though it has caused me a lot of hours re-cleaning those times when I have taken it away long distance to a Concours & hit a rain storm & it ends up filthy when I get there!).

So now, for Amelia Island, I want to use a enclosed trailer, and have talked to a LOT of trailer rental places. Most all have a 9,900lb GVW enclosed trailer (at 20' length), and EVEN though my combination of car & trailer will not exceed the Cayenne's ratings, most of those companies will not rent to me (unless I tell them I'm using a F150 or equiv, that is rated at or above that requirement).

But when I drop down to the 16' trailers, which have a 7000lb GVW and would work with my car & capacities,... most of those 16 enclosed rent trailers are built for non-car equipment (quads, dirt bikes, lawnmowers, etc), and so the rear ramp door is not reinforced to handle driving a 3,200 lb 911 up onto it.

At this point, I am not outside of buying a enclosed trailer just big enough to handle my needs, and within our 7,800 GVW capacity of my 2012 CTT.

Any ideas? I'd really rather rent one for this one-time event.
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 01-10-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Featherlite or Trailex. Trailex is really light.
Completely doable with a cayenne.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:14 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I got my 20' enclosed here http://diamondcargo.com/

They show 16 and 20' models, but they could probably make you an 18 foot too.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:41 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Yep,.. looked into Featherlite. Love their products, and buddy has a nice open Trailex too. Very nice products,...
BUT NOBODY RENTS THOSE in smaller enclosed configs.

Seems the rental companies all fit their rental products into the 9,900 and above GVW. Does NOT bod well for using a Cayenne. Striking out everywhere.

Guess I'll be renting a Tahoe or F150, and leaving the Cayenne at home. Bummer.

For Reference and anyone else researching for info like this,... here are some links, data..

If you're in market for a smaller 16’ or 18’, with Featherlite (800-800-1230), they have two model options: 1611, and 4926.

http://www.fthr.com/products/car-tra...11-car-utility

http://www.fthr.com/products/car-tra...26-car-trailer

Example: Model 1611 (wood floor) – 18’ dual axle – base model 3,500 lb per axle * 2 axles = total 7000 lb capacity GVW rating. Trailer weighs 2,500 lbs empty. With those axles, it then has a car-cargo capacity of 4,500 lbs.

Model 4926 is a sturdier trailer with aluminum floor stnd. 18’ base has a weight = 2,780 lbs. You can have them put the same axles underneath & keep the GVW within Cayenne range.

Last edited by bweSteve; 01-10-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:24 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Many dealers that I have spoken to in my general region are hesitant to even sell any enclosed trailer for a Cayenne, other than some of the very specific and very expensive trailers made for towing by SUVs.

I even went down the path of having a custom Intec 18 or 20 footer made and it just doesn't make sense. There is so little allowance for extra weight/stuff that it gets dicey...

I would suggest reaching out through your PCA club; perhaps someone owns one of the few trailers that works well and you can rent/borrow it for the trip?
Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

ah but you said "not beyond buying" :-)
I've rented 3/4 ton trucks from enterprise a couple times, good rates and new trucks. Just have limited miles/day.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Boostaddiction
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went down this road last year. Needed to tow a car to the Concours of America in Michigan from Northern Virginia. None of the Enterprise trucks have brake controllers, and they don't want you to add them... None of the normal rental companies would rent anything that could tow that was actually equipped to do so.

Like you, I couldn't find a rental trailer for my car (about 2700 lbs) and so ended up buying a 22' trailer which tows wonderfully with my CD.

PM me if you really can't find another solution. I might be willing to rent it to the right person.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:22 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies, feedback & experience guys. This is exactly the discussion I need to keep me heading in the right direction.

And thanks much Boostaddiction for your experience with Enterprise. Until now they were going to be my next phone call, so you're saving me the trouble. Good buddy of mine also has 24' enclosed, (same buddy who has been letting me borrow his open trailer for many years) but it is also rated at 10k GVW, and is obviously 1.5 times larger than I need. But as you said, if Rental Trucks don't have hitches, and/or they don't allow brake controllers...

Also spent some time looking at the used trailer market, but my problem there is storage when I don't need it. Don't have the room on my property (& asking any of my buddies to store it is just going too far ;-)

aaaaah... the woes of figuring this all out. I guess this is what I get for starting to do more events like the PCA Parades, Concours, & shows. They're a ton of fun, but the wife & I get caught up in wanting to bring BOTH the Cayenne AND the 964. Cake & eat it too. The Cayenne is just sooooo damn comfortable & a joy to drive & tow with. Would muuuuch prefer to use it to tow.

Keep the ideas & experiences coming.

Anyone else going to Amelia Island in early March? Werks Reunion Fri March 9th (on the Omni Plantation Golf Course), RM Sotherby's Auction Sat 10th (Ritz), Amelia Isl Concours Sunday. Gonna be a blast. We got our 964T approved for the Cars & Coffee out on the Ritz Carlton Golf Course on Saturday too,.... if I can get it down there!! Lol.

=S
Old 01-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Boostaddiction
Intermediate

If your Cayenne is setup to tow correctly, then towing a trailer with a higher capacity is fine- the limit is the actual weight, not the potential weight.

If the combination of your car, the trailer and any stuff you have in it is less than 7716 lbs, you're OK to tow.

I assume you have the correct load capacity tires, etc.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:03 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Oh yea, I'm there with ya on all that. Even have the N1 rated Michelins (both my winters & summer sets).

And we both know the issue with rental companies is they won't "rent" if the tow vehicle doesn't meet their GVW capacity ratings.

Regarding my earlier comment:

"... buddy of mine also has 24' enclosed, (same buddy who has been letting me borrow his open trailer for many years) but it is also rated at 10k GVW, and is obviously 1.5 times larger than I need" ...

If memory serves, his much older steel framed 24' is quite heavy,... but even if it's 3,500+ lbs, plus the 3,200 lb car, I'm still in line weight wise. So what are the chances, if I got pulled over, that the po-po would ticket me for not meeting the trailers GVW requirements?

=Steve
Old 01-11-2017, 09:17 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

We have a local guy here with a 958 turbo and he tows a 24 aluminum enclosed no problem. He tows an elise with it.

I'm starting a service that connects people in your situation to trailer owners in order to share specialized trailers (enclosed, electric brakes, etc). I've witnessed so many people tell the story you're telling where they need a trailer maybe once or twice a year, but a rental won't do and they don't want to buy or store one.

Likewise, trailer owners spend a lot of money to store them and they sit unused most of the time.

My service would help out both parties.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

For this 1 time event why not just have the car shipped? Maybe the organizers can give you some help in who is sending a transport from your area? I have had some luck doing this with my race car when a shop doesn't have enough clients to bring 3 cars in the transport.

Wish I was going, I have a work conflict
Old 01-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I don't understand in this discussion is that it's all about GVW and length. The critical dimension for towing with a Cayenne is WIDTH. I towed an 8.5 X 20 on a short run with my S recently, and even with clip-on mirror extenders I think it is way too wide for safe towing. On the other hand it's convenient for the loading and unloading of cars.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Boostaddiction
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rod Croskery
What I don't understand in this discussion is that it's all about GVW and length. The critical dimension for towing with a Cayenne is WIDTH. I towed an 8.5 X 20 on a short run with my S recently, and even with clip-on mirror extenders I think it is way too wide for safe towing. On the other hand it's convenient for the loading and unloading of cars.

Any thoughts?
I've towed a similar size trailer (or longer) hauling cars and race cars for over 10 years now, first with a V10 Touareg, and now with the Cayenne diesel. The width surely blocks rearward view, but you get used to it. Careful passing and lane changing are required, but I've never had a problem that could be ascribed to insufficient rear view.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

If you plan to go to a lot of these events (requiring a clean car) then just buy a low height enclosed Trailex. You may even be able to fit it in your garage with the 911 parked into it. When you're done, few years down the road you'd get most of your money back at resale.

Or switch to de/racing where a clean car is not as important.

Last edited by hf1; 01-11-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Need small enclosed Car Trailer 7000 GVW?