Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel shakes at all speeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Jamescoop
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Steering Wheel shakes at all speeds

Ive got a problem..done some searching and I dont think this is a cardan shaft problem nor tire problem...but lets see.

04 CTT 93k miles.

My steering wheel shakes considerably, coorelated with speed im traveling. Start noticing at low speeds (especially when slightly turning). Doesnt matter if in drive/neutral, under power/coasting. Regardless of in/out of drive or neutral. It would make sense if it was a flat spot on the wheel, but it seems that it started all of a sudden and is getting worse.

Worst is between 35-42 MPH and over 65 or so.

No clunking or grinding sounds indicative of a typical cardan shaft from what Ive read. I would love for it to be a flat spot on the tries, I have another set of tires but have lost my wheel key and am ordering a new one.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:53 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Was any work done to the car? (CV boot replacement...etc...)
How long was it parked for? (is it cold where you live)
Bent rim? Hit anything?
Lost a wheel weight maybe?
Did it just start vibrating? or was it something that got gradually worse over time?
Old 01-03-2017, 01:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Can't really do much to help. It seems your tires/wheels/suspension have a problem - and the only way to track that down is to examine each. If you aren't up to the task I'd take it to a pro. It's not something to fool around with. The front ends of the Cayenne aren't known to be troublesome, but there can always be a problem (perhaps a bent wheel from hitting a pothole?)

Having info on where you're located might be useful if you're looking for any local assistance or recommendations.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Jamescoop
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Im on eastside in Seattle WA

No work done on car. It was parked for a week after thanksgiving, and now that I think of it I started noticing it a week or so after we got back. It has also been abnormally cold here.

I thought at first it was a wheel weight except you can feel at 5mph. I didnt hit a pothole or anyhting.

Im glad that the front end doesnt have a lot of typical problems. Ill start by changing out the wheels to see if that solves the problem.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:55 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Check the front lower control arm bushings, lower rear position. Common problem.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:19 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

A fantastic tool for diagnosing these sorts of things is a small, cheap HD camera. Get a mobius and mount it to the car whatever way necessary (foam tape, zip ties, suction cup mount, etc.) to record the action of your suspected wheels, bushings, etc. Then take the car for a test drive. It very well may help you find your answer a little easier.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:01 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Since you have had cold and snow, check for build up of snow and/or road sludge. Go to the car wash and clean the wheels real well, especially the inside area.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Vibration through the steering wheel is front end related. If the whole car is shaking, that's usually rear end related.

if you've driven through any snow recently, buildup on the wheel barrels will do this as someone else suggested, or a wheel weight falling off.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:30 AM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

New tires solved my problem. I experienced the same type of steering wheel vibration that you are describing. It very gradually got worse over time. Recently, my right rear tire was damaged by road debris. All of my tires were at 60% and wearing evenly except the fronts had some extra wear on the inside tread. Replaced all 4 tires and, to my surprise, the vibration was gone.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel shakes at all speeds