Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping front brake pads. Easiest job ever!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 10:53 PM
XS29L9B
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Swapping front brake pads. Easiest job ever!

Just swapped pads when the dash sensor light illuminated. Took little time at all. Easiest pad change I think I've ever done in my life. All parts, including pad life sensors, through Tire Rack.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:16 AM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice work. Just did mine a few days ago too. Simple job overall. Hardest part was cleaning the calipers and disconnecting the wear sensors without breaking the brittle connectors. Great feeling to see the brake pad workshop light disappear. Brakes are now silent, smooth, and powerful.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:49 PM
GrandeOak
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is good to know. My rotors are good but I will need front pads soon.

What pads did you guys go with?
Old 12-30-2016, 05:31 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I installed the pads by Hella Pagid which is listed as a Porsche oem supplier at Pelican Parts. Good pads. No complaints. Quiet and smooth.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:49 PM
67bmer
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XS29L9B
Just swapped pads when the dash sensor light illuminated. Took little time at all. Easiest pad change I think I've ever done in my life. All parts, including pad life sensors, through Tire Rack.
Mine was the hardest job ever! I also did rotors, but that didn't make all that much difference.

driving the retainer pain was a real job! used oil, sanded the corrosion off with fabric sand paper, drive a little, sand a little, drive a little...

I bought the M16(?) triple square 1/2" drive from pep boys and used my breaker bar with another 4-ft pipe just to get them loose! I can not believe it worked and my breaker bar did not brake!!!

Luckily my dad has a very nice lift. This job would have been impossible in my driveway with a jack and stands. The front calipers have something like 100 ft-lb torque on them!

All told, about 2 hours per corner. The rear brakes - just getting to the bolts holding the calipers on is tight. My car came from Chicago, and EVERYTHING is corroded. Getting the old disks off was a PITA! They were rusted and would not slide over the emergency brakes. Needed to be pounded off! We then cleaned, wire brushed and lubricated the emergency/parking brake shoes which have probably never been used.

If the retaining pins do not slide out easily, and you need to get the calipers off to replace the disks - I would say this job is almost impossible without a lift and a full 8 hour day!

In a BMW this might be a 2 hour job including rotors in your driveway with stands. But they Cayenne is NO job for a first timer!!! They can be the most challenging brakes in the auto industry if your car has not been in a mild climate.

When the rear retaining pin was not coming out and we were hitting it with the hammer, I was worried about breaking the tab off the rotor and or getting stuck in the middle. And then when the rotors would not come off - I thought we were doomed. Started at noon, finished about 10:30.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:14 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Did you try using heat and/or PB Blaster?
Did you take any pictures during the process?

I am curious to see how much rust forms in that climate compared to the unlucky guys in the Northeast.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:40 AM
XS29L9B
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 67 Posts

I threaded a 4" long bolt into the pin and hammered out. Total job in replacing pad = about 25 minutes per side. That includes jacking and racking the car w/ a stand.

Bought Hawk SUV Green Pads from Tire Rack and the new sensors for pad life - they were $10.00/ea. and the brittle old ones, which were trash anyways, were thrown in the trash.

I used a caliper piston spreader, which locally was $100, but through an online site, paid $46+9.99 to ship. Made the job so much easier in compressing the pistons.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:10 AM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XS29L9B
What model do you have? I think I may need to change my fronts very soon.

08 GTS

Quick Reply: Swapping front brake pads. Easiest job ever!