Sponsored by:

Looking for Cayenne with Off-Road Package

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 04:45 AM
dimitrig
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Cayenne with Off-Road Package

I am new here so apologies if I am posting in the wrong place.

I have searched the Used Car listings already on many, many sites including this one.

I am looking for a Cayenne (any trim, preferably 2009-2010) with the Advanced Off-Road Technology Package.

This is almost like trying to find a unicorn.

I moved part-time to a rural area off of a rocky dirt road that sometimes floods (mud) and my current vehicle (Dodge Durango - long story but I can't drive a sports car up there) has been stuck three times already in deep sand. It is a given that anything I drive is going to bottom out on occasion and so I would like the extra protection underneath. However, I am a "car guy" who has always owned BMW and Porsche. I drove a Jeep and... no. I don't dare buy a X5 but the Cayenne should fit the bill. Obviously, a Range Rover would work as well but everyone tells me AVOID, AVOID, AVOID because of reliability issues although it was great to drive.

Does anyone have (or know of) a Cayenne with that package for sale with less than, say, 80K miles on it? Alternatively, what is the best way to find one? Color, other features, etc don't really matter that much. A Turbo would be awesome but beggars can't be choosers! I want to put one of these things through its paces!
Old 12-24-2016, 09:49 AM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts

Might be a whole lot easier to find the right car without the package and then call up a dealer and inquire about the skid plate kit for these cars, there is one. Add some rock rails and you are good to go.

Or might be the one time where a RR is preferred. I'm sure the Cayenne is a little more reliable than the Rover but after beating up on it the cost of issues down the road might negate that.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:11 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this ... http://trisslsportscars.com/inventory/

They have a couple of Cayenne Transyberrias, which would be the best Cayenne for off road. 405 hp GTS engine and all of the off road goodies.

The off road tech package is otherwise EXTREMELY rare. It was expensive when new and most Cayenne owners never leave the pavement. My plan is to fit the 265/65-18 tires to my '08 CTT and run the jeep roads like that. It would have to get pretty gnarly before you need skid plates and the rear locker. Nice features for sure but probably not necessary with air suspension and proper tire choice.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:30 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

Easier to buy the rear locker used and have it put in. Apparently more of the Touaregs came with it, so search junkyards/eBay for the part from that truck...
Old 12-24-2016, 02:59 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

If you are getting stuck in deep sand it doesn't like skid plates are what you need to be looking for...

1. Tires, tires, tires... I would rather have 2wd with appropriate tires than 4wd with 'average' tires every time
2. Ground clearance... make sure to get a Cayenne with air suspension! There is also a kit to add another inch of height.
3. Locking differentials... the good tires and ground clearance won't do you any good if only 2 of your 4 tires are spinning. Follow docwyte's advice there.

Skid plates should probably be an afterthought (and can also be added later) as there isn't much that hangs under the Cayenne subject to destruction unless you also have to crawl over gnarly rocks and boulders. The subframe assemblies protect the diffs and transfer case pretty well and the plastic underbelly would hold up fine to sand. You would probably need rocker guards much more than skid plates to protect your body work.

I can't imagine that these would be necessary with a drive in and out of your residence as you would never be able to get service vehicles, friends, mail, etc. there either. Any pictures or google earth views of the terrain?!
Old 12-24-2016, 03:26 PM
dimitrig
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks all

Some good information here.

My place is near Joshua Tree National Park so there are lots of large boulders and rocks on my unmaintained and rutted road as well as deep sand in the washes. The terrain changes after every rain. I do move rocks I am able to lift off the road but there have been times when I have heard that crunching noise which makes me wince.

You are correct that I do not get mail, pizza delivered, etc. and only some contractors make it up to my place - some just turnaround. However, the guys who work up there tend to drive vehicles that can handle that sort of thing and they also know to carry shovels and such.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:35 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts

Raised in Yucca Valley so I know the area.

I think a stock Cayenne with good tires should work for that.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:20 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Ah, also make sure you get one with a hitch so that you have an easy rear extraction point and can also get a winch on a hitch mount. A set of chains in the trunk will help too. They are useful in more than just snow/ice when things get really ugly with sand and mud.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:15 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

958 models with PTV+ are probably a lot more common than 957's with the Off Road Tech Package. An off-road shop can fabricate skid plates.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:16 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Cayenne can do this but a Mercedes Benz G500 or Range Rover would both be much better choices for regular off road beatings. The G class is by far the most durable of the choices.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have both a 958 Turbo and a G500. Both spend summers in CO. The cayenne is excellent for ripping through the pave roads and the well- maintained dirt roads. I dont off-road it, primarily because good off road tires don't exist in the 19" or 21" sizes.

The G500 is great off road (obviously) and is ok in smooth paved roads. It's is no fun at all in the twisties. I keep 18" wheels on this one.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:17 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

We use a Cayenne diesel to go off-road - no issues so far. Lots of low end torque, air suspension, and after market additions. See the 'Meet Otis' article in the December Pano.
After diesel-gate gets resolved should be plenty of dealer new ones to be sold at used prices.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
We use a Cayenne diesel to go off-road - no issues so far. Lots of low end torque, air suspension, and after market additions. See the 'Meet Otis' article in the December Pano.
After diesel-gate gets resolved should be plenty of dealer new ones to be sold at used prices.
Good article!
Old 01-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Pics
Old 01-03-2017, 08:57 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts