Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recomend oil for 06 CTTS with 115k

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 03:10 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a turbo, but I use Liqui-Moly Race Tech GT1 10w/60. I was using Total Quartz Racing 10w/60 for a while after burning my lower weight oil down at Thunderhill in the summer. My car seems to run a little hotter than others on here and I do not have the 3rd radiator (yet) to offset that variance.

When I first got the car, I was a diligent 0w/40 MobilOne user, just like most who are new to the cars and want to keep it 'by the book' - but like most, it's an easy 'mod' that car guys love to argue about, and ultimately I came to the same feeling that most do, that "MobilOne as the premiere recommendation for Porsche is probably based on a nice lunch between two executives making global decisions about their brand, fuel economy, emissions, and meeting government stringency with a uniform product" - (Or whatever) -

I used Swepco for a while, and really liked it. I liked the frequent changes, and something about the way the car ran on it, 'sounded' right to me. I started with 5w/30 and eventually moved to a 40 weight - but as the mileage came up, moving to a heavier oil made more sense to me. We don't typically see ambient temps below 36˚around here so, the 10 weight isn't a problem from my view.

As I was rapidly approaching 100,000 miles, and still really enjoying tearing up and down the mountain, a track day here and there, and lots of high revs on the regular, I got focused on a longterm strategy for my car, and read (like many) most of the oil threads on the various forums and have enjoyed the banter and staunch positions of many, the 'religious' overtones affixed to particular brand loyalties, and the many other deep seated opinions of just about everyone from BMW, Corvette, Ferrari, Maserati, and Porsche forums for a long while and after doing my research, I feel really good with my choice to switch to Liqui-Moly for my car.

The close second was Joe Gibb's DT40 that those in the know really love, but the 40 weight, and availability 'in the moment' were both contributing factors for me.

I recently went through the most up-to-date Porsche Recommended Oils doc I could find, and edited it to be more legible. I am providing a link to it here, in case you guys want a copy. It is probably not the MOST current one available, but it is the most current one I could find.

Porsche Approved a40 Oils June 2015

After going through it, I decided, "I'm going to go with my gut and the recommendations of the guys who are actually working on the car, combined with what I think." And I went in to the discussion thinking that 10w 60 is the weight I want to use as the mileage climbs. I didn't meet any opposition with anyone in the shop, and they all had great things to say about Liqui-Moly oils, and particularly the 10w 60, and I'm sure they weren't just being polite.

Since I am not a "Shift at 2k, and keep the revs between 3500 and 4000 on every drive" kind of guy, the high-rev friendly oil is my personal choice. Coming up on 115,000 miles myself this weekend, so thought my experience might be helpful.

That's my 2¢.

Maybe check it out, and see what you think.

Liqui-Moly GT1 Race Tech 10w 60
Old 12-16-2016, 04:12 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

K&N filters aren't the be-all, end all. People have measured more HP and/or torque with stock pleated air filters than same vehicle with K&N filter (haven't seen this for Cayenne, but for 2 or 3 "modern" cars and 2 trucks, 10 years old or less). Porsche engineers wouldn't specify an air filter that limits performance in any way.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
K&N filters aren't the be-all, end all. People have measured more HP and/or torque with stock pleated air filters than same vehicle with K&N filter (haven't seen this for Cayenne, but for 2 or 3 "modern" cars and 2 trucks, 10 years old or less). Porsche engineers wouldn't specify an air filter that limits performance in any way.
I did a series of dyno tests on BMW motorcycles quite a few years ago. One test was comparing air filters - since K&N was advertising more HP.

Findings were - on a 1,000cc bike (inline 4) - the K&N and no filter whatsoever gave the same power, as did a stock used paper airfilter. Finally covered half the stock paper filter in Saran-Wrap to simulate a well used filter - and still had the same curves and the same HP and torque.

Conclusion with this limited data - stock filters are often way oversized for the engine they're installed in - and K&N isn't magic in that case and doesn't provide any real advantage except re-usability (probably at the expense of filtering capability.)
Old 12-16-2016, 05:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,141 Likes on 3,914 Posts

A guy in the 997 Forum recently did a very well controlled test with dyno graphs. The K&N was essentially the same as the OEM airbox with paper filter except toward the higher RPMs where it made slightly more power. He had gone to it purely for the increased intake sound, but also found his throttle response to be better, same as I do. This was on a NA engine not a Forced Induction one. Om my supercharged 997 I can tell a bigger difference, but I also tried the dual cone Fabspeed intake with the K&N filters and the car ran worse with that one. I think with the forced induction I created the situation where the fuel mapping couldn't compensate for the increased airflow which made the car lean out and stumble. I went back to the single J-Pipe intake that you saw in the pictures as of the 3 options (OEM airbox, Fabspeed J-Pipe, & Fabspeed Y-Pipe) that's the one that performs the best on my car.

With my Cayenne, I'm running larger intercoolers, Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes, an aftermarket cargraphic muffler, and aftermarket Evolution Motorsports diverter valves, IPD Intake Plenum, and the HHR intake. I actually don't have the car back with these changes yet as it's all being done together as part of a widebody build which won't be done for another 6 weeks. Prior to that I had K&N filters in the OEM airboxes, the IPD Plenum, and the secondary cat bypass in it only. Other than slightly louder exhaust note, I couldn't tell much difference with these mods vs the stock setup - I had done them purely for sound and to eliminate the plastic intake plenum that's prone to cracking at some point.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:15 PM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red5
Is Mobile 1 euro brand really that bad?
Oh yea, really bad. Your engine will blow up instantly. Porsche just picked Mobil 1 0w-40 because they had a good time at lunch with the Mobil sales guy and refused to listen to gut feelings of Rennlist members telling them they should definately use 5w-30 or even 10w-60, based on extensive 'listening to the engine' tests.

To be serious, probably 90% of all Cayennes in the world run on Mobil 1, with no problems at all, and if you are still nervous just drop the drain interval.

Whatever you do DON'T fill any type or weight of oil that is not approved for the Cayenne V8.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Red5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
Had a Porsche shop do the oil change. They basically said the same thing. The CTTS has very Large air filters. No need for a K&N.

Originally Posted by deilenberger

Conclusion with this limited data - stock filters are often way oversized for the engine they're installed in - and K&N isn't magic in that case and doesn't provide any real advantage except re-usability (probably at the expense of filtering capability.)
Like what you said.

Originally Posted by Petza914

With my Cayenne, I'm running larger intercoolers, Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes, an aftermarket cargraphic muffler, and aftermarket Evolution Motorsports diverter valves, IPD Intake Plenum, and the HHR intake. I actually don't have the car back with these changes yet as it's all being done together as part of a widebody build which won't be done for another 6 weeks. Prior to that I had K&N filters in the OEM airboxes, the IPD Plenum, and the secondary cat bypass in it only. Other than slightly louder exhaust note, I couldn't tell much difference with these mods vs the stock setup - I had done them purely for sound and to eliminate the plastic intake plenum that's prone to cracking at some point.
Made a few "discoveries" that I was un aware of:
My 06 CTTS already has:
1. Fab Speed pipes. (I knew that already)
2. Fabspeed secondary Cat bypass pipes.
3. A pro tune.
4. Metal diverter valves.

I love finding out this type of stuff. And we drained the oil from the intercooler pipes and almost non came out. I found my big oil leak. THe last guy to change the oil didn't change the oil filter gasket. (All fixed now)

Originally Posted by Torre
Oh yea, really bad. Your engine will blow up instantly. Porsche just picked Mobil 1 0w-40 because they had a good time at lunch with the Mobil sales guy and refused to listen to gut feelings of Rennlist members telling them they should definately use 5w-30 or even 10w-60, based on extensive 'listening to the engine' tests.
Cayenne V8.
LOL Too funny. Must have been one hell of a lunch.

I decided to go with the European 5w40w Amsoil.

Thanks for the help guys. Have a great weekend.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just received back the most recent UOA from Blackstone on my wife's '05 997 C2S (attached PDF in addition to the pic in case it's too small) and thought you guys might find it interesting as it relates to the K&N filters allowing more dirt and dust into the motor, which would actually show up as silicon in the analysis. This car has been running an EVOMS intake with an oiled K&N filter since we've had it for all the UOAs that have been done. As you can see, Blackstone's average range for Silicon content is 6-8 and all of these samples are at or below these averages.

Also of interest here is how much better the Joe Gibbs Driven DT40 is holding up in this 997 motor compared to the A40 approved Motul 8100 xcess. It's viscosity at 4,000 miles is better than the Motul even when the Motul was changed at a 3,600 mile interval, and the Phosphorous & Zinc levels, which are critical to the life of these motors, are the highest compared to any of any Motul sample.

Based on these #s, I'll be going back to a 5,000 mile change interval to see what the #s look like there.

Attached Images
Old 01-06-2017, 08:55 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start driving on dirt roads and tell me what your samples look like. This IS a Cayenne forum, the off road capable Porsche? Not everybody lives and drives on clean paved city streets where it is summer all year round. My Cayenne, and a good percentage of Cayenne's see MUCH harsher conditions that your beautiful sports cars. Your silicon levels would go through the roof running K&N's if you did the driving my Cayenne does. I can post up the test on paper vs the reusable types. I can summarize by saying the K&N flowed 18 times the dirt compared to stock paper. I only held 1/3 of the dirt before dropping below the acceptable airflow threshold compared to stock paper. So more dirt and, no performance gains? No, Thank You

http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm
Old 01-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by prosled8
Start driving on dirt roads and tell me what your samples look like. This IS a Cayenne forum, the off road capable Porsche? Not everybody lives and drives on clean paved city streets where it is summer all year round. My Cayenne, and a good percentage of Cayenne's see MUCH harsher conditions that your beautiful sports cars. Your silicon levels would go through the roof running K&N's if you did the driving my Cayenne does. I can post up the test on paper vs the reusable types. I can summarize by saying the K&N flowed 18 times the dirt compared to stock paper. I only held 1/3 of the dirt before dropping below the acceptable airflow threshold compared to stock paper. So more dirt and, no performance gains? No, Thank You

http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm
Very interesting, well-controlled test, and good points about how a vehicle being used and the environment it's used in being critical factors in determining the appropriate filter choices. If our Cayenne was used in a harsh winter environment with lots of salt spray from the road or in a dirty / dusty environment, I probably would run a closed airbox instead of a more open intake as well. Lucky for me, it's not and sees essentially the same clean, paved roads as the sports cars.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I like Shell Rotella T6 5w40 and Castrol 0w40.

More than likely its your charge pipe seals that are leaking (intercooler pipes). I would also recommend removing the lower charge pipe from the intercooler and drain it during an oil change.

Congrats on the car and good luck with it!

Last edited by Dan87951; 01-06-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:26 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For the first 200,000 km I used Mobil 1 0w-40.

Now I have switched to Mobil 1 5w-50.

Quick Reply: Recomend oil for 06 CTTS with 115k