Sponsored by:

searching for a used SUV

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 12:39 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Default searching for a used SUV

My son and his wife (not car persons) are looking for a station wagon or light SUV (sport SUV could apply as well) that has a baseline amount of tech, good to excellent MPG and is reasonably priced. Can be a certified pre owned but also could be new. They live in the San Francisco Bay area.
They has a 3 year old (who likes playing with my model 911's—I'm trying to plant that seed as early as I can) and a 4 month old, so safety (and car seat mounts) is a requirement.

Here is a list of cars that, without specs or details, he thinks could fit the list:
Audi all road, BMW X1, BMW 3series wagon, Ford Escape/Escape hybrid or Edge, Honda CRV, Mazda CX-5 or CX-9, Mercedes station wagon (not really, but he loves station wagons—we had a Chevy Cavalier wagon that went 250,000 miles), Subaru Forester, Subaru Outback, any non-sedan Volvo, VW Toureg or Tiguan, and
and most importantly (to me) a Porsche Cayenne (he's not considering the Macan here because its not in his budget)

Budget and requirements: Would like to spend under 30k$, can stretch to 35k$
Needs at least rear view camera + bluetooth or some sort of phone audio hookup, Decent MPG, Would be nice to have: darker color so you don't see dirt, moon roof, other tech, etc.

I'm not knowledgeable about SUV's (my avatar should be a give away) so I thought I'd reach across forums and get your thoughts and recommendations.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:42 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts

I would throw Acura MDX in that mix too.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:05 PM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

My friends have a Toureg, it's extremely solid and roomy and comfortable. I'd imagine you can get a nice CPO one for that money or really close to new.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:16 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

for 30k you would be looking at a 957 - doesnt have most of the tech you're looking for, and "decent" MPG doesnt really apply to cayennes.

I've got an B8 A4 avant and a 955 Cayenne S, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either again, but it comes down to what you need. The B8 definitely has more tech, but the cayenne is more fun to drive.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:22 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're willing to take the gamble, you can get 2013 Cayenne diesels in the $30-35k range and they all have 6/100 warranties on them right now. That will hit the MPG button and you can find them with all the other boxes checked too.

They can be hard to find right now though and there is of course the gamble as to what is going to happen with the 3.0l diesels.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:26 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

good to excellent MPG
Then forget the Cayenne. I am lucky to get 14 on a tank and usually average around 12mpg.

Consider the XC90 strongly. It averages about 18 in town and gets 24 on road trips. It's balance of safety, size, comfort as a practical family vehicle is pretty tough to beat. Because the new model just came out, you should be able to get a decent deal on a 2014 as they skipped 2015.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I'm going to be honest and say that if $30k is your budget, then I'd not be looking at Cayennes. I had a previous gen Acura MDX and really, really enjoyed it. It was a roomy, surprisingly sporty, workhorse.

If he can swing a new CX9 (not the used ones, way to dated) than that's a real class leader in that price point, both in the vehicle and in the fuel economy.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
Then forget the Cayenne. I am lucky to get 14 on a tank and usually average around 12mpg.

Consider the XC90 strongly. It averages about 18 in town and gets 24 on road trips. It's balance of safety, size, comfort as a practical family vehicle is pretty tough to beat. Because the new model just came out, you should be able to get a decent deal on a 2014 as they skipped 2015.
Great vehicle.

Ancient tech. First launched as 2003 model, barely updated in terms of tech.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:54 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Great vehicle.

Ancient tech. First launched as 2003 model, barely updated in terms of tech.
Agreed, but it fits the business requirements of the original post. Bluetooth, backup camera, reverse sensors, airbags, integrated child booster seat, and good gas mileage, also the great value comes in the older generation and the new complete redesign brought the cost way down. It was rated as one of the safest vehicles on the road for a while too.

Although it is largely unchanged since 2003 the newer naturally aspirated engines are a lot better since they have timing chains instead of belts and better torque. The also made some small styling tweaks and odds and ends. They would not be disappointed if for 30-35k they could get a 2014 model fully loaded with:

-R Design trim level with larger wheels
-6 way memory seats
-bluetooth
-rain sensing wipers
-reverse camera and sensors
-air suspension in rear
-rear ac
-3rd row
-xenon lights
etc.

IF you can get over the fact that the 11 year old car next to you in the parking lot is basically the same thing without a bodykit and other minor improvements then it is a hell of bargain.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

BTW - dark colors DO show dirt (and swirls, etc..) WHITE always looks clean. BTDT and would never own another black vehicle. It always looks dirty (or swirly, or both.)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:34 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
BTW - dark colors DO show dirt (and swirls, etc..) WHITE always looks clean. BTDT and would never own another black vehicle. It always looks dirty (or swirly, or both.)
The trick is that you just don't wash them. Ever.

After about the first month or so you get a nice even coating and besides not being as glossy you just don't notice it anymore

That nice layer of grim also hides the swirls.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:52 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

^^^LOL. I have found silver hides the dirt the best where i live.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:41 PM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Between black or white, white looks very good but black always looks the best clean.

Hard to keep a daily looking swirl free unless you Ceramic coat or clear bra it.

Quick Reply: searching for a used SUV