On my way to buy 2008 CTT with Sport Design Pack

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:15 PM
Supah
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile On my way to buy 2008 CTT with Sport Design Pack

Hey everyone,

This would be my first Porsche and I read a lot about Cayennes on this forum. Sounds like a pretty reliable car in comparison to other cars I've been considering(Range Rover, X5, MB ML) and better looking than Lexus GX or Infiniti FX.(in my opinion)
I have talked to the owner for a little while and he showed me both Carfax and Maintenance records on this 2 owner CTT.

Would love to hear from you on these matters:

1. This beauty has 115k miles (the highest mileage I have considered till this day) and spent its whole life in the North East. Should I expect to see rust? What should I really look at when inspecting?

2. The seller said that the car needs nothing but new tires in 4k miles. Maintenance showed that brake pads, spark plugs, battery and oil was replaced/done 1k miles ago. What kind of parts usually need to be replaced at this mileage?

3. Owner states that it has PDCC option but when I decoded vin - it didn't show anything like that. Hmm

4. Does it sound like a good deal 08 CTT with Sport Design, PDCC, Carbon etc with 115k miles for $18k?

5. Another option I found - 06 CTTS down south for $16k, porsche dealer maintained with clean carfax, 100k miles on the clock. Is it a better deal?

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:06 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts

Did he show you pics of the interior of the 08? Easy to tell if it has PDCC, the suspension adjustments in the middle will be all silver.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:41 PM
Supah
Track Day

Originally Posted by uphoto
Did he show you pics of the interior of the 08? Easy to tell if it has PDCC, the suspension adjustments in the middle will be all silver.
He haven't, I know there is usually a button"PDCC" under "Sport" mode button.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Supah
He haven't, I know there is usually a button"PDCC" under "Sport" mode button.
There's not a button for PDCC but those letters are written on the silver trim near the shifter if it has it. Are you talking about PSM?

Car has carbon ceramic brakes too? That would be fairly rare on an '08. Those need to be very closely inspected for chips since each rotor costs $5,000.

I would also lean strongly toward a Southern car over a Northeastern one as even if the body doesn't have rust, all the fasteners and other things will, making maintenance, if you DIY, that much more of a PITA. There ate also some occurances of cylinder bore scoring on cold climate cars.

Sounds like this one, really any one, is going to need a thorough PPI. If you link us to the ad, we can tell some things from the pics.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Supah
Track Day

Originally Posted by Petza914
There's not a button for PDCC but those letters are written on the silver trim near the shifter if it has it. Are you talking about PSM?

Car has carbon ceramic brakes too? That would be fairly rare on an '08. Those need to be very closely inspected for chips since each rotor costs $5,000.

I would also lean strongly toward a Southern car over a Northeastern one as even if the body doesn't have rust, all the fasteners and other things will, making maintenance, if you DIY, that much more of a PITA. There ate also some occurances of cylinder bore scoring on cold climate cars.

Sounds like this one, really any one, is going to need a thorough PPI. If you link us to the ad, we can tell some things from the pics.
Thanks for clearing it for me on PDCC. This makes sense!
​​​​​​
Sorry, I meant Carbon fiber interior options.

Seller agreed to a PPI, so I will make sure to check for rust on fasteners and other things. Is Bosch Shop a good place to get a PPI for a CTT ? The closest Porsche dealer is a bit far away and the only other shop in that town is where seller did all of the maintenance.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for clearing it for me on PDCC. This makes sense!
​​​​​​
Sorry, I meant Carbon fiber interior options.

Seller agreed to a PPI, so I will make sure to check for rust on fasteners and other things. Is Bosch Shop a good place to get a PPI for a CTT ? The closest Porsche dealer is a bit far away and the only other shop in that town is where seller did all of the maintenance.
With a vehicle as complicated as the Cayenne at the mileage you're looking at, it needs to go to a shop familiar with Cayenne, not just general auto repair, so I'd say a Porsche dealer or the Indy, even if it was where the car was serviced. You might actually learn more about its history by going to the shop that has done the work, and they should want to keep you coming back to them with the car, so it's not in their best interest to hide stuff. They might even let you be with the mechanic while they go through it. I always make this request in advance when setting up the appointment and also offer to sign an insurance liability waiver to be back in the shop with the Techs. So far, I've not had any issue with this on 3 Porsche PPIs.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Supah
Track Day

Originally Posted by Petza914
With a vehicle as complicated as the Cayenne at the mileage you're looking at, it needs to go to a shop familiar with Cayenne, not just general auto repair, so I'd say a Porsche dealer or the Indy, even if it was where the car was serviced. You might actually learn more about its history by going to the shop that has done the work, and they should want to keep you coming back to them with the car, so it's not in their best interest to hide stuff. They might even let you be with the mechanic while they go through it. I always make this request in advance when setting up the appointment and also offer to sign an insurance liability waiver to be back in the shop with the Techs. So far, I've not had any issue with this on 3 Porsche PPIs.
The owner is getting it inspected at the Indy shop right now.

I called Porsche dealer and they told me not to get any Turbo for that matter BC maintenance could cost more than the car in the near future.

Now I mainly concerned to hear about big ticket repairs that I might encounter at this mileage?
Old 12-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Supah
Track Day

Here is a link to this CTT
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5893935519.html

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 12-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here is a link to this CTT
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5893935519.html

Let me know what you guys think!
I think the guy needs to learn how to photograph a car for a For Sale ad. Not a single picture of the seats or the engine or readable odometer. It does have red gauges and a well worn steering wheel though. Can't even make out the design of the wheels.

Looks like this is one you'll have to see in person to discern any real info.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:20 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 120k you will need to perform a "major service", which occur every 40k miles. minor services are every 20k
Old 12-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Supah
Track Day

Originally Posted by 7 Summits
At 120k you will need to perform a "major service", which occur every 40k miles. minor services are every 20k
Do you know the cost of major service?
Old 12-08-2016, 04:10 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will vary from Indy to Porsche dealer. I did my 80k with an Indy for approx $700 but I supplied plugs and parts. Porsche dealer wanted $2400.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:41 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

I do "major service" anytime I buy any car - it's a low cost thing to do and you have a real baseline for all of your other service being done. Even if the PO says the plugs and filters and oil were done yesterday, I put my stuff in.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:32 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Agree with Lupo. At that mileage I would do all the major service stuff just so you know where it stands...

-F/R diff oil
-trans fluid
-transfer case oil
-engine oil
-plugs and check coils
-check air filters
-check brake and steering fluid
-check AOS
etc.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Supah
Track Day

Originally Posted by nodoors
Agree with Lupo. At that mileage I would do all the major service stuff just so you know where it stands...

-F/R diff oil
-trans fluid
-transfer case oil
-engine oil
-plugs and check coils
-check air filters
-check brake and steering fluid
-check AOS
etc.
Those are pretty normal things! I am not worried about getting fluids changed all over.

I am more interested in hearing about major issues I can expect at this mileage? Any common problems?

Quick Reply: On my way to buy 2008 CTT with Sport Design Pack