Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting or Powder Coating for Exhaust Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 07:32 PM
raolc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting or Powder Coating for Exhaust Tips?

I want to make the tips on my 11 CTT a high gloss black.

I called a powder coat shop that said powder coating wouldn't be a good idea for something that heats up. He said at about 200 degrees the finish would start to tarnish (not quoted, something like that). He instead recommended I go with a high temperature paint. That sounded odd since I thought it was normal for people to powder coat brakes and pipes.

1) So is that true? Is powder coating not an option for this or do I just need to try another shop?
2) If I'll do a high temperature paint instead, is spray or brush preferable?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:48 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you need to talk to some more Powder Coaters in your area. There indeed are High Temp Powders, Google it. Another choice is Ceramic Coating, a bit more expensive but is tough as nails. If you want a DIY solution High Temp spray paint is an option, most auto supply stores should carry it. Good Luck.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:08 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Precision Powder Coating in Anchorage Alaska does a lot of great custom work, has worked on many Porsche projects, and could likely answer your question...they are worth the cost of shipping IMHO. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. (907) 929-2202
Old 12-06-2016, 08:10 PM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by sctanton52
I think you need to talk to some more Powder Coaters in your area. There indeed are High Temp Powders, Google it. Another choice is Ceramic Coating, a bit more expensive but is tough as nails. If you want a DIY solution High Temp spray paint is an option, most auto supply stores should carry it. Good Luck.
You were right, the next shop I called had high temp powders. I think I prefer this route over paint for sure. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:11 PM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marc in AK
Precision Powder Coating in Anchorage Alaska does a lot of great custom work, has worked on many Porsche projects, and could likely answer your question...they are worth the cost of shipping IMHO. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. (907) 929-2202
Worth knowing but this time I need something quick and local since I don't have a spare set of tips to use. Thanks anyway.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:14 AM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VHT (very high temperature) paint from a auto store works well. I painted a set of exhaust cans on my race bike. Only issue is that you need to bake them in the oven a few times. It's basically the Harry Homeowner version of powder coating. Stands up very well to heat and you can get it in a bunch of colors as well. Probably 10% the cost of a powder coater or ceramic coater. Either direction you go the biggest headache is prep work. "painting is 90% prep work and 10% painting"
Old 12-07-2016, 11:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by raolc
I want to make the tips on my 11 CTT a high gloss black.

I called a powder coat shop that said powder coating wouldn't be a good idea for something that heats up. He said at about 200 degrees the finish would start to tarnish (not quoted, something like that). He instead recommended I go with a high temperature paint. That sounded odd since I thought it was normal for people to powder coat brakes and pipes.

1) So is that true? Is powder coating not an option for this or do I just need to try another shop?
2) If I'll do a high temperature paint instead, is spray or brush preferable?
You want a ceramic coating. Since you are in CA, talk to Rennlist sponsors FD Motorsports. They offer this service. Offer a few color choices, too. Might not be able to get a gloss coating. They are more satin. Great company.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:36 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

any of the 3 will work. I own a powdercoating business. I powdercoated the muffler, pipes and tips on my 370Z race car to see how it would stand up. The powdercoating burnt of the pipes between the muffler and tips fairly quickly, but held up on the muffler can and tips.

On our last CD, I had the body shop paint the tips for me when they painted a lot of other trim, and that also held up just fine.

Tips really don't get that hot.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:16 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Powdercoated exhaust tips on the GT3. Lasted about 2 weeks. Had them ceramic coated for the same price. Has lasted years.

Quick Reply: Painting or Powder Coating for Exhaust Tips?