Sponsored by:

iPhone connect problems with PCM and how to FIX

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 07:42 PM
donaldm241
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone connect problems with PCM and how to FIX

I have been having problems with my iPhone 6 connecting with PCM bluetooth. The phone seems to connect, BUT, the radio mutes and the PCM behaves as if the iPhone is on a call. My initial fix was to make a call on the iPhone then hangup and the PCM would reset.

Found a fix in an extensive google search. If you go into the iPhone settings and change cellular LTE mode to data only (voice LTE is off), the iPhone connection issues do not appear. It appears the LTE mode with the new IOS is not compatible with PCM (my cell carrier is Verizon). I think its an Apple problem, since it was intermittent

Last edited by donaldm241; 11-22-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: changed disconnect to radio mutes
Old 11-21-2016, 10:01 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the last iOS update broke it, I am getting multiple reports mainly 6s
Old 11-21-2016, 10:13 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Which iOS version is seeming to have the problem? I live by my bluetooth connection with the vehicle and not ran into this issue yet. I have a 6S running iOS 10.1.1
Old 11-22-2016, 12:52 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I do get a long delay (well longer than I'd like, and longer than on newer Porsches) after a Bluetooth connection finishes (e.g. After a Waze voice alert) on my 958. It does eventually cancel out though and go back to the radio.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:14 PM
donaldm241
Track Day

Originally Posted by Snipe656
Which iOS version is seeming to have the problem? I live by my bluetooth connection with the vehicle and not ran into this issue yet. I have a 6S running iOS 10.1.1
I have the latest IOS 10.1.1. My original post should have said the radio mutes like a call in progress
Old 11-22-2016, 01:03 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by donaldm241
If you go into the iPhone settings and change cellular LTE mode to data only (voice LTE is off), the iPhone connection issues do not appear.
Is that the setting that allows both voice calls and data activity to occur at the same time? Or is that a setting on Verizon's end?

I seem to recall issues in the past where Verizon phones wouldn't do both data & voice at the same time, due to phone hardware limits at the time. Verizon seemed to limits plans based on that. When I upgraded to a new phone, at some point, I noticed 4G/LTE data & voice wasn't working at the same time but knew my phone was capable of it. I had to visit a Verizon store and they "did something" on their end to solve the problem.

BUT BEWARE, any time you call your cell carrier and "do something" to your account you may run afoul of them trying to use that as an excuse to re-up, renew or otherwise reset your plan timeframes. They did this when I moved some things around and they DIDN'T TELL ME this would cause my existing account to be closed and a new one to be opened. This screwed up automatic bill paying and it took months to resolve it. In the end it worked out but it was a huge waste of my time dealing with their screw up.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:35 PM
donaldm241
Track Day

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Is that the setting that allows both voice calls and data activity to occur at the same time? Or is that a setting on Verizon's end?

I seem to recall issues in the past where Verizon phones wouldn't do both data & voice at the same time, due to phone hardware limits at the time. Verizon seemed to limits plans based on that. When I upgraded to a new phone, at some point, I noticed 4G/LTE data & voice wasn't working at the same time but knew my phone was capable of it. I had to visit a Verizon store and they "did something" on their end to solve the problem.

BUT BEWARE, any time you call your cell carrier and "do something" to your account you may run afoul of them trying to use that as an excuse to re-up, renew or otherwise reset your plan timeframes. They did this when I moved some things around and they DIDN'T TELL ME this would cause my existing account to be closed and a new one to be opened. This screwed up automatic bill paying and it took months to resolve it. In the end it worked out but it was a huge waste of my time dealing with their screw up.
I claim ignorance on what the iPhone LTE setting does. I assumed that the iPhone cellular data setting selected the mode of data/voice transmission (LTE on or OFF) and it was the iPhone setting-cellular data setting set to "enable LTE data" only. I did mot modify any VZ settings. For me using regular voice without LTE voice works for me in my area. I kept LTE for data as it speeds up the data
Old 11-22-2016, 03:45 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes, you should be able to use both. That's sort of the point of LTE. There's a thing called VoLTE (Voice over LTE) that Verizon didn't initially use. I've no idea which LTE-capable iPhones use it or not (if any).

I'd still suggest contacting Verizon to inquire if they're aware of anything related to your account that would interfere with being able to use your subscriber services on that phone. I'd never rule out Verizon screwing something up. But Apple hasn't done a stellar job lately either.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:03 AM
Menuval
2nd Gear

Default Porsche Boxster pcm Bluetooth iPhone 6 problems

Originally Posted by donaldm241
I have been having problems with my iPhone 6 connecting with PCM bluetooth. The phone seems to connect, BUT, the radio mutes and the PCM behaves as if the iPhone is on a call. My initial fix was to make a call on the iPhone then hangup and the PCM would reset.

Found a fix in an extensive google search. If you go into the iPhone settings and change cellular LTE mode to data only (voice LTE is off), the iPhone connection issues do not appear. It appears the LTE mode with the new IOS is not compatible with PCM (my cell carrier is Verizon). I think its an Apple problem, since it was intermittent
Please help this is driving me crazy and the Porsche dealer just keeping blaming the iPhone 6 or iOS 10 operating system.

My my iPhone is doing EXACTLY what you described and Porsche say no one else is having this problem.

I tried what you suggested but my settings were already set at "data" only.

So so what the hell do I do now ??
Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 PM
donaldm241
Track Day

Originally Posted by Menuval
Please help this is driving me crazy and the Porsche dealer just keeping blaming the iPhone 6 or iOS 10 operating system.

My my iPhone is doing EXACTLY what you described and Porsche say no one else is having this problem.

I tried what you suggested but my settings were already set at "data" only.

So so what the hell do I do now ??
I had intermittent phone muting problems after selecting LTE data only on the iphone and could not fix it other than initiating a call to home and then hanging up which reset PCM. I have not had any issues with my new iPhone 7
Old 02-15-2017, 07:57 PM
Menuval
2nd Gear

1. Are you saying that selecting data only did NOT solve the intermittent problem and you only solved it by moving from iPhone 6 to iPhone 7.

2. I am tempted to do the same. However I will be using the same IOS10 operating system and have been ADVISED that I may be transporting the problem with any alleged App issues to the iPhone 7.

3. I have also looked at my apps individually and turned them off where they work on data in the background without my consent. A rogue app may be the cause too. My car tends to have this problem intermittently when I get in the car shortly after bluetooth is initiated - is this what happened to you too.

This has been driving my crazy - not happy given the car is only 1 year old.

Please help !
Old 02-16-2017, 07:12 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

What year Cayenne?
My 3.0 PCM will not work with my iPhone 6. Connects just fine, but then the PCM crashes and re-boots about every 2-3 min when the bluetooth is on and connected.
No one can confirm if I spend serious $$ at the dealer for the latest software upgrade that it will fix the issue.
Sad I need to use a Jabra Tour to use my phone......
Old 02-16-2017, 11:37 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by John Veninger
What year Cayenne?
My 3.0 PCM will not work with my iPhone 6. Connects just fine, but then the PCM crashes and re-boots about every 2-3 min when the bluetooth is on and connected.
No one can confirm if I spend serious $$ at the dealer for the latest software upgrade that it will fix the issue.
Sad I need to use a Jabra Tour to use my phone......

I had the same problem with my PCM 3.0 on my 2010 911 4S Cab (iPhone 6s). After MANY trips to the Stealership (under CPO) and many clueless service advisors, I finally figured out that my phonebook transfer was crashing my PCM. I have ~5,000 entries in my phonebook, so it was overwhelming the memory and crashing the system. I posted a thread on this over on the other forum that you can read through if you want to try the same fix. Hopefully this is an easy fix for you Here's the thread:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-2-4s-cab.html
Old 02-16-2017, 11:57 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks North Shore 911. I remember reading that in the past. I did delete all my Bluetooth devices and unchecked syncing address book. Still resets.
Now I wonder if I get the latest firmware and do this if it will be solved? My PCM is on the original firmware, basically Version 0.
Need to justify a firmware and map update north of $500 in the hope to fix this.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:01 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Quick follow up. My PCM crashed so I had to get it repaired by Becker. $1K later I have a repaired PCM with firmware 1.4.
Off to dealer to get it re-coded, another $400! Connected my phone (no address book download) and after several hours and a few phone calls the PCM has not re-booted and works fine.
Don’t know if the firmware fixed the issue of a combo of a new circuit board and firmware.

Quick Reply: iPhone connect problems with PCM and how to FIX