brakes broken?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 03:04 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default brakes broken?

Got a new to me 2005 Turbo.

The brakes were wonky when I got it. They kind of worked for light braking but the pedal was really hard if you wanted to stop faster or as you are just came to a stop. You had to pay attention at stop lights keeping your foot hard on the pedal or it would start creeping.

Checked the brakes and found someone had put 320mm rotors on instead of the 350mm rotors on the front and only half the pad were touching the rotors. Changed out the rotors and put new pads on. Didn't feel much better though.

Within a day of driving the brake booster light came on. The line to the booster was leaking. Replaced it.

Still same hard pedal and no hard braking. No booster light. Replaced booster and master cylinder. Much better, not so much the hard pedal, and brakes better, but still seems to take a LOT of pedal pressure to evoke ABS. If you really stomp it the ABS will come on. It didn't before replacing booster. It's like the last half of the pedal travel isn't adding very much more braking.

The main thing I really notice is when you lift off the brakes just as you stop the front end doesn't lift at all. It's like the front brakes aren't working hard enough to transfer weight to the front and compress the front springs when stopping.

Had it checked out at Porsche mechanic and tells me I just need to bed in the new pads and rotors. That doesn't seem right to me. I've replaced rotors and pads, even went to racing pads on some cars and never had this.

Did the wrong size rotors mess up the front calipers and I need to replace them?
Old 11-07-2016, 03:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

As the mechanic told you - the new pads will not work all that well until the pads are mated to the rotors (bedded in..) That's done by using the brakes. To make it happen a bit faster - find a road where you can do repeated runs up to around 60MPH, then full-on (almost to ABS) braking down to 5MPH and repeat. You'll feel the mating going on as pad material is transferred to the rotor and braking becomes much more effective. And the front end doesn't dive on a Cayenne under braking - that's lesser cars that do that. I'd assume you have air-suspension since it's a turbo and that resists dive under braking.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:56 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Funny, the front dives on my Cayenne S with air suspension. Which the brakes work much better on I might add.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Then the front will probably dive on your turbo once you break the pads/rotors in. If you check the manufacturer's info - they'll likely tell you 100-200 miles are required to achieve full braking capability.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:12 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
As the mechanic told you - the new pads will not work all that well until the pads are mated to the rotors (bedded in..) That's done by using the brakes. To make it happen a bit faster - find a road where you can do repeated runs up to around 60MPH, then full-on (almost to ABS) braking down to 5MPH and repeat. You'll feel the mating going on as pad material is transferred to the rotor and braking becomes much more effective. And the front end doesn't dive on a Cayenne under braking - that's lesser cars that do that. I'd assume you have air-suspension since it's a turbo and that resists dive under braking.
While I agree the pads need time to achieve max effectiveness, from the op's description I'd say there is a problem. You shouldn't have to stomp on the brakes to get good stopping power. I have never experienced poor braking with new pads and rotors and I've done this work many times, including recently on my CS.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:34 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe the brake booster or vacuum line to it have failed.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:26 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Could be defective caliper or bad brake hose.
Did the caliper pistons move freely when you changed the brakes?
Old 11-09-2016, 02:55 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Reliable independent shop did it and said everything looked when replacing the smaller rotors.

Replaced booster and master after the booster line and proper rotors and pads did not fix it.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:02 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
Reliable independent shop did it and said everything looked when replacing the smaller rotors.

Replaced booster and master after the booster line and proper rotors and pads did not fix it.
Did your mechanic activate and bleed the abs pump with a diagnostic tool? Replacing the master requires careful bleeding and installation. I wouldnt trust a pressure bleed for a master, I always do mine on the bench manually.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:12 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

They always follow the factory procedures.
The actually told me to drive it to get the pads seated in to see how it goes.
Just drives me crazy when I can tell when something isn't right.

Seems like I hear the brake pump running quite often. Like almost every time I use the brakes. Vacuum leak?

Replaced the battery yesterday. Started throwing a failure codes like 4 wheel drive system failure.
Load tested the battery and it was dropping to 6 volts. New battery and a reset and no more codes.

Have had to do a lot of neglected and poorly done maintenance repairs, but got it really cheap and haven't quite reached the market value yet.
Tell myself that since I am having to go thru it, it will be a little longer before those systems need attention again. Almost like new right?

Last edited by RKD in OKC; 11-10-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:40 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Have they measured the vacuum at the pump? The 4.8L engine uses an engine driven pump, sounds like 4.4L could be electric.

The 4.8L measures about 20" of mercury with a fresh pump. I know that because I replaced my pump at 60K mi.

Using the vacuum gauge you could pinch off the vac line near the pump to determine if its weak or if there is a leak.

Last edited by v10rick; 11-11-2016 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: brakes broken?