Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
It has already been done.
Or a hint?
Old 01-23-2017, 02:04 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

What? Dealer required to push in an update?!

I wonder if the "dealer" part can be accomplished with a DuraMetric.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

We need someone here who hangs out on the Russian Cayenne forums (and who speaks Russian.) If it's been done - I'm certain that's where the info will be found.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:26 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Or a hint?
I can tell you what the dealer does as I find it interesting and like to do these things myself. Unlike coding of modules, this can fall in the copyright theft realm, so this is strictly informational. (Then again, coding can be construed as DMCA reverse engineering which is illegal if argued correctly I suppose.)

Others can figure out how they would do it I suppose, so what I am describing is the legal process.

This is of course only for the PIWIS II and the 957 with PCM3, I can't speak for PIWIS III and newer cars.

You go and order the latest maps from your dealer. They in turn order it from Porsche, with your VIN number handy.

Porsche updates their backend system, saying your VIN, has this feature and gives the dealership a code that is tied to your vehicles VIN. Also, if the dealer does not have the map disc your purchased, and the relevant firmware for the PCM, they are sent those discs are sent to the dealer.

Now dealer follow a run book:
- Hook up PIWIS to car, add code to the relevant PCM module.
- Insert DVD in the PCM that has the PCM v2.20 firmware if the car needs it, to bring it up from the 1.x etc, takes about 20 minutes if successful. Sometimes takes some screwing around, etc as we all know how fun it is to install disc firmware from a dusty optical drive and a scratched disc.
- Insert DVD for navigation in drive, data is then installed over the optical network to the HDD for the PCM3, 4 discs for the latest maps.
- System reboots, and if all is good maps are now accessible since you have the latest key installed on the PCM.

So now imagine this, what if your PCM is toast, you need to replace it.

Dealer installs firmware, installs map, but maps don't work, why?

You are missing the key, fine no problem. They contact porsche via PIWIS with your VIN, porsche system says you purchased it and gives the dealer's PIWIS the code to program in the new unit.

Same deal has to be done for things like bluetooth enable, or compass, a code tied to your VIN is programed into your PCM.

This is why suncoast says make sure you are 100% on giving them the correct VIN.

So if you have the discs, and a friends PIWIS and the code that you purchase, you can program it yourself with no internet connection and no dealer.

Last edited by touareg; 01-23-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:33 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom M
For PCM 3.1? Link?
I know for 3.0, 3.1 pretty sure as they are virtually the same system as far as coding is concerned, more of a hardware change than software platform.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by touareg
I can tell you what the dealer does as I find it interesting and like to do these things myself. Unlike coding of modules, this can fall in the copyright theft realm, so this is strictly informational. (Then again, coding can be construed as DMCA reverse engineering which is illegal if argued correctly I suppose.)

Others can figure out how they would do it I suppose, so what I am describing is the legal process.

This is of course only for the PIWIS II and the 957 with PCM3, I can't speak for PIWIS III and newer cars.

You go and order the latest maps from your dealer. They in turn order it from Porsche, with your VIN number handy.

Porsche updates their backend system, saying your VIN, has this feature and gives the dealership a code that is tied to your vehicles VIN. Also, if the dealer does not have the map disc your purchased, and the relevant firmware for the PCM, they are sent those discs are sent to the dealer.

Now dealer follow a run book:
- Hook up PIWIS to car, add code to the relevant PCM module.
- Insert DVD in the PCM that has the PCM v2.20 firmware if the car needs it, to bring it up from the 1.x etc, takes about 20 minutes if successful. Sometimes takes some screwing around, etc as we all know how fun it is to install disc firmware from a dusty optical drive and a scratched disc.
- Insert DVD for navigation in drive, data is then installed over the optical network to the HDD for the PCM3, 4 discs for the latest maps.
- System reboots, and if all is good maps are now accessible since you have the latest key installed on the PCM.

So now imagine this, what if your PCM is toast, you need to replace it.

Dealer installs firmware, installs map, but maps don't work, why?

You are missing the key, fine no problem. They contact porsche via PIWIS with your VIN, porsche system says you purchased it and gives the dealer's PIWIS the code to program in the new unit.

Same deal has to be done for things like bluetooth enable, or compass, a code tied to your VIN is programed into your PCM.

This is why suncoast says make sure you are 100% on giving them the correct VIN.

So if you have the discs, and a friends PIWIS and the code that you purchase, you can program it yourself with no internet connection and no dealer.
Interesting.

So even though I know someone with a PIWIS... they need some code (which is likely some form of hash against your VIN) which is only passed down to the installing dealer?

Or does this code get sent to you along with the software?

In other words... can an indy with a PIWIS do it if I order the software from Suncoast?

Last edited by User 52121; 01-23-2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Better way of explaining it
Old 01-23-2017, 04:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Interesting.

So even though I know someone with a PIWIS... they need some code (which is likely some form of hash against your VIN) which is only passed down to the installing dealer?

Or does this code get sent to you along with the software?

In other words... can an indy with a PIWIS do it if I order the software from Suncoast?
I think what you're missing here is how does the new DATA (not "SOFTWARE") get from whatever the source is - to your PCM? Is the data provided on a DVD disk? If so - does it have to be uploaded to the PCM via the PiWIS? Or can it be put in the CD/DVD slot on the PCM and uploaded to the hard drive of the PCM? It sounds from what people are saying that it has to be uploaded to the using the PIWIS.

Once it's on the PCM then I suspect it's just a matter of enabling it using a Porsche supplied code created from the VIN# and map data version. You do that with the PIWIS (or I believe I could also do this step with my iCarScan - it has input fields for other option codes to be written to the PCM.)

In any case - it's an outdated system (ya'think?)

SWMBO's 2011 Lexus RX350 gets new maps via a USB thumbdrive that uploads them to the navi. Once they're on the NAVI they get turned on using a code. Takes all of about 10 minutes.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:47 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised that Google hasn't gotten manufacturers onboard because native Nav is crap, ludicrously overpriced, and completely pointless in today's technology environment. Google maps now has Waze built in and nothing is better than consistently updated software over the air.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:52 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by ventoGT
I'm surprised that Google hasn't gotten manufacturers onboard because native Nav is crap, ludicrously overpriced, and completely pointless in today's technology environment. Google maps now has Waze built in and nothing is better than consistently updated software over the air.
Some of the new systems do use some Google info - but the problem a car manufacturer has is - Google frequently changes Google Maps. It adds/removes features that the vehicle owner might miss, or might make the entire interface useless. Plus - until recently you couldn't download maps ahead of time - and as I found out crossing Ohio where there is very sketchy Verizon coverage. The lack of coverage basically made WAZE useless.

It's hard to set a standard when your base information is a moving target.

BTW - if your PCM had a browser built in - Google maps/navi could be used - with the same caveat on coverage problems. I know some of the people installing Android aftermarket devices in their dash use Google Navigation.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I dunno.... I know a lot of guys that LOVE Waze.

I gave it a shot for a few months. Commuting into downtown Chicago everyday, with I-90 under major construction, I figured "real-time" re-routes would be a good thing. At the time, my truck had XM Traffic w/re-routes but the funny thing is, it would pull me off of 90 and take a side street (that didn't HAVE traffic data!) and I'd just be in gridlock on sidestreets vs. the expressway.

So I gave Waze a try. It routed me through THE GHETTO several times. One, it had me cut down a side street, which started off looking OK, only to land me in the dead middle of a block, with a drug deal happening out of two cars stopped in the middle of the road. Other times, following the directions, suddenly I pop out onto a major-ish thoroughfare only to realize I was in the heart of the west side.

Deleted the app. Shot them an email suggesting they really need to add the ability to avoid known sketchy areas. I'm sure that's "racist" or "elitist" or whatever but I don't care.

Have my V1 for cops. Otherwise generally don't speed anymore anyways. And I'll just stick to the highways when going into unknown areas.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Deleted the app. Shot them an email suggesting they really need to add the ability to avoid known sketchy areas. I'm sure that's "racist" or "elitist" or whatever but I don't care.

Have my V1 for cops. Otherwise generally don't speed anymore anyways. And I'll just stick to the highways when going into unknown areas.
Japanese GPS's do have an option like that.. Some Garmin GPSs have an "avoid" feature that allows the user to manually define a region to "avoid". Downside of that is usually you don't know that an area is best avoided until you're already in the area.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Japanese GPS's do have an option like that.. Some Garmin GPSs have an "avoid" feature that allows the user to manually define a region to "avoid". Downside of that is usually you don't know that an area is best avoided until you're already in the area.
Yeah. Frankly they'd probably get publicly crucified if they ever did it.

My first job in the digital marketing space, I had a client whose main business was food delivery (kinda like a Peapod, but wasn't Peapod.)

We could almost never get their ad campaigns live because they'd fail our QA checks. If you placed an order for food delivery, but punched in an address that was in a known BAD neighborhood, the order was declined, with a "we're sorry, we don't deliver to that address." Same zip code but move a few blocks over, and the order would go through.

We had to work around our QA department by running special, individual campaigns that were geo-limited (positive targeting of specific areas, vs. anti-targeting of specific areas). PITA.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:30 PM
squawbum
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just called Sonnen Porsche. They are the local Marin County dealership and they are the best. They charge 300 and change for the update software and no charge for install. they said that it is an all day install, but that they just hook up the computer and just wait for the update to load, which takes a long time and no tech has to sit by it all day. Therefore no charge for the install. Sonnen Porsche is the best! If you go online and buy the update from www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com, then you get it for 246.95. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Dumb question//// with my iPhone, it synchs well with PCM, I can answer calls etc., but is it possible to play music from the iPhone over Bluetooth and listen to it in the car?? Currently, I cant do this-

This is an 09 GTS..

Will the update resolve this>?

Thanks-
Old 06-21-2017, 12:08 PM
touareg
Drifting

So I just went through this, I purchased the code for the latest PCM 3.0 maps. It came with the license code, sealed, and 2 or 3 discs, to update firmware from 1.x to final 1.x, which was 1.47, then to 2.x. Then from 2.x to final version 2.41 I think it was. I was originally under the impression that Suncoast was going to register the code with my vin with Porsche, and send me the generated code. Didn't happen.

After that you need the code applied., most dealers around me would not apply the code for less than 300 dollars. I finally had to go to the next state over, got one to agree to do just 1 hour labor to apply the code. They did that.

Then I popped in my 4x DVDs I got somewhere else with the 4.2015 maps, for PCM 3.x. I don't know if these are the latest or not.

That would normally take about 45 min, but I had the 2nd disc have some fine scratches, the drives in the PCM suck are reading nothing but perfect disks, with some experimenting I was able to backup my original disk 2/4 and burn to a DVD-R single layer, with DVD-ROM booktype, and use that to contiune the install. Disks all read fine in a PC, just the PCM said read error about 50% throught that disk.

Before I had the licensed applied, if you inserted the map disk, it would say license not found.

Fortunately any failure that occurs, it will skip the first disc and ask for the next one it had problems with.

So sounds like maybe I didn't save any money with this route. If you find a dealer that will sell you the code, and do the install for under $300, that is about as good as it gets.

Quick Reply: Anyone Update their PCM 3.1 Maps?