The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:27 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The e-hybrid S is not a turbo but a Audi supercharged 3.0 V6 - no lag
You are absolutely correct.
However, worth noting that the electric motor does two things in addition to the "no lag" ICE.

1. Initially pull away for you, and its torque is good.
2. Boost you with an additional 95hp when you accelerate hard.

In effect you have a zero lag turbo.

I went from a 2004 CTT to a 2016 S E Hybrid.
It's about the same performance on paper.

IRL I think the hybrid is less sluggish off the line, both when pulling away casually, and when flooring it. (Assuming you have charge in the battery - which you normally do for that).

It also provides pretty instant acceleration on top of the ICE when overtaking.. which is significantly less laggy than a CTT (of the era I owned) overall, as it never lags, where as with a Turbo you need to be in the right rev range to hit the sweet spot.

Just my purely anecdotal observations.

I have read the new Panamera Hybrid does have turbos. I was surprised. If that is the case, what with Porsche's penchant for turbo-ing everything now, I wonder if the next Cayenne Hybrid will be turbo also..
Old 10-13-2016, 12:32 AM
Bartron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any more info on this?
Based on the new Panny SEH that will have a 14kWh battery.

My SA is telling me they are expecting the 2018 Cayenne second quarter of 2017.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Bartron
Racer

Default Demo non-EV mileage

so did about 250km with average fuel use of 9.4 l/100km. That's without any charging and the car left to fend for itself. I'm sure my wife was driving it just like any other car. Overall, not bad for such a large and sporty car.

does anyone know if reverse gear is only electric like on the Lexus 450h? Apparently those cars have issues with lack of power when reversing uphill.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:20 PM
Bartron
Racer

Gonna be bringing a 2016 SEH pepper home next week. In the meantime, I need to get the wiring done in the garage.

Here's an excellent write up I found on 6SO about installation of the charger.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/p...c-details.html
Old 10-22-2016, 10:30 AM
jcr22042
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our 2016 has averaged 42.8 MPG over the last 2719 miles. We live in an area that most trips are short, so most of the time we are in electric mode. We charge at home using a 220 line we had installed in our garage. It has decent acceleration in electric mode, but I wouldn't call it fast, although the torque delivery is great and makes up for it somewhat. It seems when running in gas mode, it uses a lot of gas, especially in city driving. Highway mileage on trips has ranged from a low of 22 mpg on a 8 hour trip with 4 passengers, full cargo, roof cargo carrier, and one bike on roof, to a high of about 31 MPG for a 3 hour trip with less cargo and no roof carrier. This has all been since July, so no cold temps yet. I expect it to drop in the winter, since the ICE must start when temps are below a certain amount (not sure the exact temp, but I believe 35F) even if you have a full charge. This is, I believe, to get the engine warmed up so it is ready to go if needed and to also provide some heat for the battery pack. Overall we love the vehicle and it fits perfectly with our lifestyle while reducing gasoline usage.
The following users liked this post:
aloktayi (01-02-2023)
Old 11-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Bartron
Racer

Alright! It's been a couple weeks of ownership. The wife loves it. Couple observations.

1. I installed the 240v charger myself and the plug in Canada was a NEMA 14-50 - or typical cooking range plug.

2. The missus gets about 27km on electric which takes her to work and a bit back.

3. Overall mileage is 7.2l/100km mainly city so not bad.

4. Ordered a Level 1 charge cord from Clipper Creek that we can use anywhere and since most parking lots here have plug-ins for block heaters, it's not hard to come by some power.

5. First nag point is the way the car locks the charger in. You have to unlock the car with a key to be able to take the plug out. With the keyless unlock, being close to the car is not enough. Annoying when charging in the garage.

6. Second nag point is that when in electric mode, if you have to merge somewhere with gusto, there's a significant delay between putting your foot in and the engine turning on and spooling up. For the time being I just put it in sport for the merge (from stop sign to 60mph on a free way).

Overall, happy with the car.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:18 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bartron
Alright! It's been a couple weeks of ownership. The wife loves it. Couple observations.

5. First nag point is the way the car locks the charger in. You have to unlock the car with a key to be able to take the plug out. With the keyless unlock, being close to the car is not enough. Annoying when charging in the garage.

6. Second nag point is that when in electric mode, if you have to merge somewhere with gusto, there's a significant delay between putting your foot in and the engine turning on and spooling up. For the time being I just put it in sport for the merge (from stop sign to 60mph on a free way).

Overall, happy with the car.
Glad you like it. =)

Re. 5 : If you have keyless entry you can just touch the inside of any door handle (even the back handles) to unlock the car and in turn unlock the charger.

Re. 6 : Are you saying in all electric mode it takes a while to spool up the ICE if you kick down? I have not noticed that tbh. I've brought the ICE in quite easily by kicking down (to my chagrin) a few times when trying to complete a whole journey on electric. I do sometimes notice a small hesitation when pulling away from stationary as it juggles power units. But that doesn't seem to be what you are saying.

What I normally do if I know I am going to use the ICE at some point in a journey is to start in hybrid. Let the engine start up and do it's warm up cycle. And then switch back to electric if I feel like it for slow bits, and then just put it back in hybrid as I approach the highway. I don't do that because of any lag issues.. But mainly because I don't really like firing up the ICE cold all of a sudden as I hit a highway. But that's just me being weird probably.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Bartron
Racer

Originally Posted by thescratt
Glad you like it. =)

Re. 5 : If you have keyless entry you can just touch the inside of any door handle (even the back handles) to unlock the car and in turn unlock the charger.

Re. 6 : Are you saying in all electric mode it takes a while to spool up the ICE if you kick down? I have not noticed that tbh. I've brought the ICE in quite easily by kicking down (to my chagrin) a few times when trying to complete a whole journey on electric. I do sometimes notice a small hesitation when pulling away from stationary as it juggles power units. But that doesn't seem to be what you are saying..
Thanks thescratt, I have tried approaching the car (car unlocked and charger plugged into the car) and simply touching the handles as if to open them. This would not work in our car. Only locking and unlocking via door handle would free the charger. Odd. Wonder if this is a firmware or PIWIS thing that can be changed.

It's the hesitation when pulling from a stop sign to merge into traffic as it first tries to do it electric and then realizes that it's not enough and kicks the ICE in. I wonder if she should be just flooring it from the get go but that seems like an odd thing to do. I think the delay is from the juggling you're referring to. It thinks you're merging into a regular street (30mph) and not a freeway (60mph) with traffic flowing.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:30 PM
thescratt
Instructor

I may be getting confused with options. Do you have a key hole or a button on your door handles?
I have not checked but I would assume that unlocking with the key fob should unlock the charging plug. But I have not tried that.

If you are in all electric you need to push past some resistance in the throttle peddle to start the engine, so yeah, in simple terms you need to be a bit aggressive. But some people say it's already too sensitive. And I tend to agree.

If you are in hybrid mode then it should be easy just pulling away normally to kick the ICE in. You certainly have to concentrate and be very gentle to not do it when in hybrid mode. At least in my experience.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:26 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Glad you like it. =)

Doesn't work that way (at least in mine). I have 2016 with keyless entry. Once I plug in the cable it is locked in position no matter if car is locked or unlocked. Approaching the car and touching the door handle still unlocks the car but you have to use the remote to unlock the charging cable.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:51 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Interesting. Mine is 2016 also.
I do this all the time. I wonder if it is a setting, or a legal thing. Can't think of a reason for the latter tho.
I also have a factory tow bar which retracts, which I know is not allowed for safety reasons in the US, for example.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:02 PM
Bartron
Racer

Doesn't work that way (at least in mine). I have 2016 with keyless entry. Once I plug in the cable it is locked in position no matter if car is locked or unlocked. Approaching the car and touching the door handle still unlocks the car but you have to use the remote to unlock the charging cable.
This is how ours is. Quite annoying really. We've just started locking the car with the rear driver-side door and then unlocking it 3 seconds later the same way. Then it works. The caveat is that you have to unlock it from a LOCKED state. Simply pressing unlock when already unlocked doesn't help.

EDIT: the key fob unlock trumps all and always unlocks the charger

Last edited by Bartron; 11-20-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:22 PM
thescratt
Instructor

So how are people here locking the car after putting the charger in?
I only ever lock using the buttons on the handles.
Wondering if that has something to do with it...
Old 11-19-2016, 08:47 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I'll have to try Bartron's method. Once the charger cord is plugged in, I can lock the car using the button on the handle or the remote fob.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:54 AM
Bartron
Racer

on my North American 2016, the charger gets automatically locked within a few seconds of plugging it into the car and once the car is locked either by fob or handle it stays locked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread